Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Plowing with 1025r 54 inch blade and "float"

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks

Plowing with 1025r 54 inch blade and "float"

I have a driveway that is concrete that changes to gravel at the roadside.

Plowing in "float" mode is great on the concrete, but when I try to use this on the gravel it digs up and relocates the gravel (and the dirt below it!) along with the snow while continuing to dig deeper and deeper with every pass.

Is there a way to adjust the float? It seems to be exerting way too much downward pressure.

Thanks for any advice.
    Tractor Tim likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post

Plowing in "float" mode is great on the concrete, but when I try to use this on the gravel it digs up and relocates the gravel (and the dirt below it!) along with the snow while continuing to dig deeper and deeper with every pass.

Is there a way to adjust the float? It seems to be exerting way too much downward pressure.

Thanks for any advice.
    If you are truly in float mode (pushed hard forward on the stick), there is not any hydraulic down pressure beyond the weight of the plow and maybe a little from the hitch. I would suggest to raise the plow some so that your leaving a little snow on the concrete. otherwise you can raise the plow with the hydraulics and hold it there. No really good solution. I have same issue at the end of my drive because I replaced the drainage pipe and have been waiting until it is fully settled to repave the end. Cannot do it right now though, as I am out of work.
    Bill
    grahamk likes this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:57 AM
    Thanks
    I think you may be slightly misunderstanding float. When you have the loader in float (stick all the way locked forward), there is no downward pressure. The hydraulics are essentially in neutral. The loader will float up and down with the grade. So you're not experiencing downpressure or anything that can be adjusted. You are simply experiencing gravity. The weight of the plow, mounting, etc. If it's a loader mounted plow, you have the weight of the loader too.

You will need to raise it up if it's digging in. Or adjust the skids/pads on the plow down some more?
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:05 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like the ground isn’t frozen yet. All plows will do this until it is frozen. Use shoes on the plow to reduce the occurrence of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks
    Over the past 40 years I have plowed gravel, blacktop and concrete driveways. If you are plowing with A JD 54" or 60" plow mounted to the frame or loader, you are going to need to raise your blade when you reach the gravel portion of your driveway. Float only allows the blade to follow the contour of the surface being plowed, however the weight of the plow will make it dig into the gravel. Adjusting your shoes will do nothing but put lines in the gravel and leave some snow on the concrete. You might try plowing the driveway then lifting the blade when reaching the gravel and then back drag the gravel portion to further remove the snow. This method won't disturb the gravel very much, especially after things have frozen. On this forum there is a member that goes by Sulleybear who is very experienced in plowing snow. Maybe he will read this and chime in.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    04-22-2019 @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks

Thumbs up Solutionthat works for me

Quote Originally Posted by grahamk View Post

Thanks for any advice.

I had the exact problem with my 755 and model 47 Blower in "float". The skid shoes are in-effective on anything softer than concrete or blacktop because they are to small.. Soo...I made ski's to attach to the factory shoes. 5" wide by 22" long bolted to the original skid shoes. They don't sink into soft gravel nor muddy gravel and "float" is effective. There is no down pressure in "float" but the blowers are heavy. Think ski's or snowshoes sometimes guys. Aircraft Carriers "float" because the displaced surface material for the volume placed on the area to an acceptable depth by the user.
    Last edited by rob257; 10-31-2018 at 08:55 PM.
    grahamk likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:03 AM
    Thanks
    Once the gravel is froze it plows nice! I like to pack in the first snow driving on it and try to leave some to freeze. Once it has I just drop my blade and go to town on it. After a while you will get the feel of it and not tear it up to much. I still have to blade some gravel back on my drive even after plowing for 23 years on the same driveway.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3648 (800x597).jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	500.8 KB 
ID:	655052Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3656.JPG 
Size:	8.31 MB 
ID:	655054Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF3754.JPG 
Size:	7.05 MB 
ID:	655056The gravel will still be there when the snow is gone if you know when to stop plowing. Have fun!

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Thanks
    I have a gravel driveway and live in a snowy part of the country. I hope to have the ground freeze before we get a lot of snow. Sometimes that isn't the way it goes. I got tired of ripping up the grass and plowing wet snow/gravel... So I upgraded the skids on the plow. Heavy Hitch sells a great replacement..

https://heavyhitch.com/product/john-...low-shoe-skid/

Here's a few pics of the standard J-D skid Vs. the H H skid..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9629.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	363.1 KB 
ID:	655178

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF9630.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	363.4 KB 
ID:	655180

They're 3.5 inches across, while the J-D skids are only 1.1875"

They have several seasons on them and I have noticed only a small amount of wear... basically just missing paint and light scratching.

Hey, Heavy Hitch, here's an idea for you.... how about longer/wider skids for the 47" and 54" snowblowers so they work better on a gravel driveway before it freezes solid??? If you make a prototype, I'd be willing to give it thorough testing...
    Kennyd, North585, Ray_PA and 4 others like this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 AM
    Thanks

Snow removal with Rear blade

I have a rear blade for my 1025R and I found the tip of adding a piece of horsemat from TSC on the leading edge quite useful. One can use it on concrete without scratching the surface and if you turn the blade around, successfully remove snow without gravel displacement.
    ColonyPark and grahamk like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:02 PM
    Thanks
    I believe the key to properly maintaining a gravel driveway during winter, whether it be with a plow, bucket or blower, is fall preparation. Unless you groom your driveway prior to winter, you are likely to have plenty of high and low spots that will affect the efficiency of your snow removal equipment. Also need to make sure you do not have any gravel pits, areas that are filled in with over an inch of loose gravel with no fines to lock it in place.
    Lastly, never plow or blow while straddling the crown, just asking for the middle of the blade to shave down your gravel.

Of course, who am I to talk, I need to get my butt out there and do all this before winter really gets here. Or, maybe it will be like last year where I got everything ready, mounted the new 47" blower and then let it sit there looking all pretty and never used.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast