Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1025r - Backhoe Valve/Levers Sticky From Day One

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

1025r - Backhoe Valve/Levers Sticky From Day One

I have a two year old 1025r. The left backhoe lever has been sticky from the start - making an audible sound of rubbing from inside the valve. The boom in/out would not return to "neutral" when released. After two attempts at adjusting the linkage, the dealer replaced the complete valve assembly. It was still sticky. They ordered another new valve (very expensive) and replaced it again. Still not as it should be, but I lived with it.

However, after a year with this new valve it has slowly gotten worse. Now the swing left/right is sticky as well. The right lever has always worked great. It only swings right very slowly now, and sticks there - sometimes leaking so slowly I don't even know it is stuck until a couple of minutes later and it has swung all the way right. Of course that is sucking power from other motions - and terrible for the pump.

It's so bad now, it is dangerous to work with. I try lifting/digging something too heavy and the tractor starts to tilt so I release the lever and the tractor continues to tilt.

I've never taken the backhoe off. But I've watched how to do it and wish to do it soon. It would just be impossible to do it safely the way the levers stick.

Can anyone give me (and the dealer) some advice as to why this seems to be impossible to fix? I'm hoping someone may have heard or discovered something in the 1 1/2 years since I asked this question a while back.
    Last edited by konakid; 11-04-2018 at 12:40 AM.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    My left control was sticking some. I sprayed fluid film all over the linkages and used it and used it. If I washed it I sprayed the linkages again and again. I put rubber boots on the control sticks to help keep dirt away from the linkages. I notice JD puts boots on the new ones. And after a bit of time the sticking was gone! Oh and I never. And I repeat never keep it outside in the elements! Hope this helps.
    North585 and PJR832 like this.
    Laurie

John Deere 1025r TLB, Frontier 54" Rear Blower with hydraulics , 54" Quick Connect Mower, 49" Frontier Tiller, iMatch Hitch, Ballast Box, 42" Adjustable Front Tines, 48" Frontier Box Blade, Light Guards, Rear Work Light, Front ROPS Mounted Utility Lights, Block Heater.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by konakid View Post
    I have a two year old 1025r. The left backhoe lever has been sticky from the start ...
    I have also had the same problem from the start, and it has caused at least two incidents upon removal/reinstall. Not to mention the many times when it has not returned to neutral during operation. The dealer picked it up to look at it shortly after I got it, but returned it without any improvement.

I finally concluded that this is just a problem with the 1025r backhoe controls, and learned to (carefully) live with it. I *always* insert the left/right transport pin before I remove the unit, and it makes the operation much more predictable and safe, as the L/R swing is the "stickiest" control.

I'm curious to see if others chime in to report that they have, or don't have, this problem. I love everything about the 1025r, but find this problem troublesome enough that I would consider a different color machine if I ever replace it. (but would probably stay with green...)
    Last edited by KeyboardJungle; 11-05-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Ive got the newer 260B, but no sticking, so I cant offer a concrete solution.

My guess is, since the OPs control valve was replaced twice, that the valve itself is unlikely to be the issue.
    Id look at the linkage itself for any rough spots, and see if heavily lubing would help. One poster said his went away after doing this. This also indicates its not likely a valve issue, as the issue would likely get worse with wear on the valves.
    Assuming it sticks when not running also, you could double check that by disconnecting all linkages, and operate the valve to be sure it returns to neutral. Id do this with the tractor NOT running. If it works, reconnect and try again. From there it should just be a process of elimination to find the culprit.
    jdforever likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyboardJungle View Post
    I have also had the same problem from the start, and it has caused at least two incidents upon removal/reinstall. Not to mention the many times when it has not returned to neutral during operation. The dealer picked it up to look at it shortly after I got it, but returned it without any improvement.

I finally concluded that this is just a problem with the 1025r backhoe controls, and learned to (carefully) live with it. I *always* insert the left/right transport pin before I remove the unit, and it makes the operation much more predictable and safe, as the L/R swing is the "stickiest" control.

I'm curious to see if others chime in to report that they have, or don't have, this problem. I love everything about the 1025r, but find this problem troublesome enough that I would consider a different color machine if I ever replace it. (but would probably stay with green...)
    Question please: Does your right control lever stick at all? Or is it just the left? I have only had a problem with the left one.

Don't take this wrong - but I'm glad to hear someone else has issues as well, and I'm not alone in my frustration. But I too might ditch this machine - even though I like everything else about it. As it sounds as if you may have given up on a fix.
    Last edited by konakid; 11-05-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post

My guess is, since the OPs control valve was replaced twice, that the valve itself is unlikely to be the issue.
    Id look at the linkage itself for any rough spots, and see if heavily lubing would help. One poster said his went away after doing this. This also indicates its not likely a valve issue, as the issue would likely get worse with wear on the valves.
    Assuming it sticks when not running also, you could double check that by disconnecting all linkages, and operate the valve to be sure it returns to neutral. Id do this with the tractor NOT running. If it works, reconnect and try again. From there it should just be a process of elimination to find the culprit.
    Agreed - if replacing valve doesn't help, and almost everyone else have no issues, then something else must be happening. However, when new (with first valve) you could actually hear a loud rubbing noise from within the valve when moving the boom control in/out when machine was off.

That guy with linkage issues, and that lubing helped, was after it was stored outside and partially frozen. My issue was from day one, and I tried teflon lubing right at the start with no effect whatsoever - and it's always garaged. But at first it was only boom in/out - now it is swing right left as well.

I've tried tinkering with the linkage adjustments (as did the mechanic at the dealer), and could of made it worse. The controls were loose, with lots of play in them when new. I tried taking that play out and things still stuck. I'm not sure how they are supposed to be adjusted, or if an incorrect adjustment could actually cause this issue. It looks to me as if they could just make operation "sloppy" with lots of play, but shouldn't restrict the actual movement of the spool up and down. Any feedback?
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post

you could double check that by disconnecting all linkages, and operate the valve to be sure it returns to neutral.
    Is this even possible? From what I saw while watching the repair, it looked to me as if you couldn't move the spool manually if things were disconnected - not proper leverage or attachment possible.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Is this even possible? From what I saw while watching the repair, it looked to me as if you couldn't move the spool manually if things were disconnected - not proper leverage or attachment possible.
    You would just use the linkage attachment points to move the spools. It wouldnt be easy to do necessarily, but it would tell you where the problem was.
    Its not likely to be the valve, as this sounds like you are on your 3rd one, but it is a possibility that there is a defect in the manufacturing process for that valve.
    If you know its only on one or two spools, you could just check those.

There are a few guys on here who have swapped the control pattern on their backhoes to the other pattern, and have had to disassemble those portions of the valve to do so. Could be something stuck in there I suppose...the tolerances are very tight. Any little bit of anything caught in there would cause problems. Seems odd that youd have something caught in 3 different valves though.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Thanks
    My left stick also will stick sometimes. I have noticed it only happens when up to operating temperature and only when the right side stabilizer is in the down position with a load on it. Release the pressure on the stabilizer and the boom lever never sticks.

The next time it sticks, see if raising the stabilizer has any effect.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 PM
    Thanks
    ...Does your right control lever stick at all? Or is it just the left? I have only had a problem with the left one...
    Just the left one, mostly when swinging the boom left to right. When the sales guy delivered it, he almost pulled the hydraulic line apart when showing me how to remove and replace the backhoe, because the lever stuck. That prompted them to take it back and take a look at it.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast