How much ballast with 54" blower?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: How much ballast with 54" blower?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:35 AM
    Thanks

How much ballast with 54" blower?

I have a 2018 1025R. The front 54" snow blower is being put on today along with my new Mauser cab. I have a JD ballast box approx. 500-ish lbs. Tires not filled and no wheel weights. I'm not a little guy, about 240 lbs. So is the front going to feel light or will this work out ok as is?

Thanks for the help

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    That should work perfectly, but I don't have a cab to really have a sense of how it changes weight. I got my setup at the tail end of last winter and used the empty ballast box with two 42lb suitcase weights in it and felt like it was a good balance (I'm about 40lbs heavier than you and only have to snow blow flat land). This year I'm trying to build a weight bracket similar to the Heavy Hitch as the ballast box does add a couple extra feet to the rear of the tractor and gets in the way for me at times, but have the ballast box loaded with about 450lbs of sand bags in case I feel I need more traction.

My previous X730 came with two 42lb suitcase weights for use as ballast, and I added two more for traction so the dealer must not have felt it needed much. I believe the snowblower only weights about 250lbs or so.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Thanks
    I tried to use the ballast box one winter for a little extra traction. It didn't go well. The 47" blower in float mode doesn't add much weight to the front, but my ballast box weighs a lot. I had NO steering ability on the snow with it on. No cab, loaded rear tires, and a 250# operator... If I put the ballast box on without the loader on the front, the front end feels like it's just skimming the ground.

Try it with the box on, if you can't steer in the snow/ice, take it off.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 14decoys View Post
    I have a 2018 1025R. The front 54" snow blower is being put on today along with my new Mauser cab. I have a JD ballast box approx. 500-ish lbs. Tires not filled and no wheel weights. I'm not a little guy, about 240 lbs. So is the front going to feel light or will this work out ok as is?

Thanks for the help
    That is a little more than I use (~200#) but should work perfectly. I do not think I needed that much, but going naked this year (no chains) so may need every bit of what I use.
    Last edited by John Deere 1025R TLB; 11-06-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    10-21-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Can't help with the original question, but be sure to read the other posts on here about the front glass breaking on these cabs and how to prevent it.
    jdforever likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,559 Times in 1,279 Posts
    500# may be a little much, you'll find out one way or another. I put my ballast box on once last winter using a FEL mounted plow but still the same concept, when the blade was on the ground I literally could not steer. 8 42 lb suitcase weights seemed to be the ticket, place around a little with the weight and you'll find what works the best for you.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    I was out today clearing snow with the 60HD broom. Don’t quote me but I would say it’s the heaviest attachment you can put on the quick hitch. I don’t have a cab but my ballast box is around 400#. Doesn’t matter what I take out or put it I find you’ll always be able to spin tires. I do find the 1025 usually understeers.

Then again I do have a “sporty” style of driving it. I would like to try the turf tires vs r4 as I feel that would give a significant advantage.

I have 2 sets for my skidsteer a similar r4 style that is unstoppable in mud and a snow tire for snow removal which you could get stuck in wet grass but on snow and ice they’re great
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikR View Post
    If I put the ballast box on without the loader on the front, the front end feels like it's just skimming the ground.
    I have a fairly steep ramp (3 foot long, 1 foot high) into a shed I store the implements in for the winter. I ditched the loader and forgot I had the ballast box with 450lbs of sand on it on the back. I got quite the surprise when I started backing out and the tractor became a teeter-totter. If I hadn't had the sense to drop the box quick it would have become a drag race anti-roll bar..

Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Then again I do have a “sporty” style of driving it. I would like to try the turf tires vs r4 as I feel that would give a significant advantage.
    I love my R3s in the snow. The ones that came on mine are fairly meaty and have given me awesome traction whether I'm doing my driveway or yard for trailer parking.
    jdforever likes this.
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Been snow blowing for years now with same 54” blower and I don’t have any weight of any kind and tractor performs flawlessly. No box, no weights, nothing. It has the turf tires no chains. But I do have high density plastic skids on the blower’s skies. Skids makes it slide nice on the black top without damage or scrap marks. With the 4WD it goes thru anything. It fact have not even used the lock rear axle.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 11:55 PM
    Thanks
    Im just waiting to see the person that adds to much weight to the rear to the point they can't steer, then start adding weight to the front to help out steering traction.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast