Eveything went smooth except.....(snowblower installation)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Eveything went smooth except.....(snowblower installation)

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:41 PM
    Thanks

Eveything went smooth except.....(snowblower installation)

Put on my 54" quick hitch snowblower today. Everything went really smooth except for one thing. Trying to slide driveshaft though the front plate that has the two bearings with a hexagon. While the plate was on the floor I inserted the greased driveshaft into the first bearing then as I tried to get it to line up with the second bearing forget it, what a pain!!! I kept trying to spin the second bearing by hand and finally after 5 min worth of tries it went together. Is there an easy way to line up the two bearings. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe I should get a piece of hex stock and use it to line up the bearings before sliding the drive shaft through. Anyway It's done and ready for action!!! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!!!!!
    Previous mower 1987 216 that I bought new. Had for 30 yrs +, It was part of the Family!!

2018 1023e
    54" Auto Connect Deck
    54" Snow-Blower
    120r Loader
    Rear Heavy Hitch w/ 8 suitcase weights

Thank You to all our Military Men and Women who are serving and our Vets!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:02 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Sadly... there really isn't an easy way or any tricks. Sometimes the hex slides right through both bearings and sometimes it fights you. Normally, if you don't manually rotate the bearings after you remove the shaft they will be fairly lined up for the next time you install it.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikdor View Post
    Maybe I should get a piece of hex stock and use it to line up the bearings before sliding the drive shaft through.
    Thatís a good idea.
    Troutsniffer and mikdor like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:51 PM
    Thanks
    I assume it is similar to how the 2305 set up works? I just leave the shaft attached to the quick hitch bracket. It hasn't been in the way when plowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    I have found that keeping the drive shaft in the bearings taking it off and putting it on is easier. First hang the carrier assembly to the front of the tractor. Then slide the shaft forward in the bearings so it can be fitted to the pto drive at the differential drive. It donít slide easy unless pushing right on the hex end shaft. The angle of the drive shaft causes a bit of a side load inhibiting it from sliding if you push on the shaft.

The closer the bearings are aligned in the carrier with the hex the easier the shaft will slide in them. Of course lubrication is a must.
    Herminator and mikdor like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 976 Posts
    Yep, Iíve never found an easy way, so I just leave the driveshaft attached so itís all one unit.
    Herminator and mikdor like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Majority of the time no problem, like you had problem lining up the second second bearing. I finally sprayed WD40 or some type silicone spray on the shaft , bearing or both. Still had to rotate the second bearing but it seemed go easier after spraying both.
    ColonyPark, Herminator and mikdor like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    11-08-2018 @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikdor View Post
    Put on my 54" quick hitch snowblower today. Everything went really smooth except for one thing. Trying to slide driveshaft though the front plate that has the two bearings with a hexagon. While the plate was on the floor I inserted the greased driveshaft into the first bearing then as I tried to get it to line up with the second bearing forget it, what a pain!!! I kept trying to spin the second bearing by hand and finally after 5 min worth of tries it went together. Is there an easy way to line up the two bearings. Anyone else have the same problem? Maybe I should get a piece of hex stock and use it to line up the bearings before sliding the drive shaft through. Anyway It's done and ready for action!!! Let it snow, Let it snow, Let it snow!!!!!!!
    I loosen the bolts on the two bearings and re-tighten after I get the shaft through.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks

Easy Installation of Snowblower Drive Shaft

North585, ColonyPark and mikdor like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(11-09-2018), North585†(11-09-2018)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 12:46 PM
    Thanks
    Leave the PTO shaft in the bearing and use a Spring-pin like KEANE shows in his write-up to hold the shaft in the bearing while you attach the shaft to the PTO.
    mikdor likes this.
    2017 JD 1025R TLB
    w/54" SnowBlower,52" Rotary Broom,Tektite Cab,BXpanded Backhoe Dolly,55AMP Alt,Block Heater,180 Thermo
    42" Pallet Forks, Artillian Casters, 3-PT Hitch w/iMatch Quick-Hitch & JD Ballast Box, Frontier SS1023B, Ken's Diff Pedal
    2000 JD 345 w/new 48C Deck & Brush Guard
    14 Bushel Hopper w/HP Power Flow, 40 Gal. Sprayer, 17P Cart
    Aerator/Drop Spreader, 80lb & 175lb Spreaders, Trac-Vac 580
    Front Mount & Tow De-Thatchers, Plug Aerator
    30" Mechanical Tiller, Billy Goat Blower

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast