Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 2305 intermittent issues

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 05:29 PM
    Thanks

2305 intermittent issues

I am at a loss and ready to reach out to the experts!

My 2305 with about 600 hours on it has been acting up for about 2 months. The first instance was about 45 minutes into mowing and the machine shutdown like I turned off the ignition. It would not restart. It did not seem to even try to fire. I presumed it was an issue with the fuel cut-off circuit. I tore into it assuming I had another electrical issue (I replaced the diode a couple years ago). By the time I figured out it was not the diode, the machine also suddenly started. I put it away and when I had time to mow again, I proceeded to completely mow the lawn without issue (about an hour). I then proceeded to do some maintenance (including replacing the fuel filter). When I went to mow again, about 10 minutes into the process, it shuts down again. This time I presume it is an issue with the fuel cut-off solenoid. I removed it to see if it was pulling in, and not only was the solenoid working fine, but the machine would not start with it removed.

I reinstalled the solenoid, walked away for a few minutes, and when I returned it started again. Each time this thing has died, I have jumped off the machine and verified that the fuel filter bowl was still full.

Now today, I went out there and it started without issue. I started mowing and a few minutes in it craps out again. Again, just to be sure, I removed the fuel solenoid and tried to start again. Still no luck. I am now confident that the fuel cut-off circuit (both electrical and mechanical) is not causing this shut-down. So now what? I disconnected the fuel line running from the fuel injection pump back up to the fuel tank. When cranking, there is definitely fuel flowing back to the tank. Yet, the machine was not starting. I am at a loss. It was firing, but never enough to continue to run. Fast forward about 2 hours and I managed to get it to run, after stumbling a bit, it smoothed out and ran long enough to put it in the garage.

Needless to say, I have no confidence in this machine. My yard is hilly enough that I almost had to leave the tractor out in the yard because my golf car didn't have enough traction to pull it up to the driveway. I am not sure what to do next. I need to clean-up leaves and need to be able to trust this thing for snow clean-up this year. I hate intermittent issues. What about a mechanical fuel system could be so intermittent? I considered the possibility of debris in the tank, but in each case, the bowl was full. I turned out the fuel shut-off once just to see if maybe there was a flow issue through the petcock. One of the times when it started but was running rough, I was able to watch it pull down the fuel level in that bowl. It happens (and the refilled) slowly enough that I am fairly confident I would be able to see if that was the reason for the shutdown. I really don't know what to check next.

Thanks for reading this ramble.

Thoughts?

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    I am not certain of the logic of your fuel circuit but you said there was a fuel shutoff solenoid, and you could verify the pull current?
    It sounds like you believe the fuel should flow when the solenoid is in its resting position (normal state).
    Would you think it may make more sense if electric power applied (made position) would be the more reasonable condition to allow fuel flow?
    Try checking for voltage (and magnetism) at the solenoid when you are running and when it dies see if you still have both?

Or am I mis reading this and you literally bypassed the shut off and still no love?
    Last edited by Jeff B; 11-11-2018 at 08:50 PM.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I am not certain of the logic of your fuel circuit but you said there was a fuel shutoff solenoid, and you could verify the pull current?
    It sounds like you believe the fuel should flow when the solenoid is in its resting position (normal state).
    Would you think it may make more sense if electric power applied (made position) would be the more reasonable condition to allow fuel flow?
    Try checking for voltage (and magnetism) at the solenoid when you are running and when it dies see if you still have both?

Or am I mis reading this and you literally bypassed the shut off and still no love?
    Sorry if I confused things. The fuel should flow when the solenoid is energized. But since it is a pull in function, it "releases" the lever to allow fuel to flow. As such, removing the solenoid allows me to see the solenoid function and at the same time should allow the fuel to flow.

This is a snip from the shop manual (I think that their copy protection is keeping me from copying the text).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuel theory.JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	656462

Lee
    SulleyBear and Jeff B like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    I don't own your model of tractor, so I don't know how it works. But I've seen similar problems from the seat switch. Check the integrity of the wire going to this switch. There may be an intermittent in this circuit that occasionally acts up and shuts everything down.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I don't own your model of tractor, so I don't know how it works. But I've seen similar problems from the seat switch. Check the integrity of the wire going to this switch. There may be an intermittent in this circuit that occasionally acts up and shuts everything down.
    I agree with Keane, I would short or bypass the switch and try it.

Doug
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Humbolt 3-Bag 12 Bushel PTO Grass Catcher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Doug and Keane,
    Thanks for the tip. That would definitely explain it dying out while mowing. The safety logic on my tractor enables the seat switch when the PTO is engaged or the tractor is in gear. In each of these cases, though, during the attempts to restart I ended up off the tractor watching the fuel bowl. The PTO and gear selector were in their respective locations the whole time, when it didn't start and then miraculously did. When this safety circuit is enabled, it removes power from the solenoid, and each case after troubleshooting I determined that the solenoid was getting power and working.

Could the restart issue be a result of the seat switch killing the full throttle loaded motor? I know that is tough on a motor, but in the past when it happened (i.e., I forgot to clear one of the faults before lifting off of the seat, it always restarted without issue.

Another snip from the shop manual. Am I missing something?

Name:	Fuel electrical theory.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	656498

Lee

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks

Update but still not solved

So, I left the hood and sides off so that I would have quicker access to troubleshoot. I have new data. This time, when it died, I could see the filter housing quickly enough to see it refilling. It appears that I have a fuel flow issue from the tank. I don't understand, though, why it takes so long to get the tractor to restart after the fuel has returned to the bowl.

I removed the tank and dumped (very new fuel). Prior to this tankful, I ran the machine down quite low. Good news, I know this was all fresh fuel w/Optilube. The bad news is, I ran the tank down very low which may have contributed to some sort of junk being disturbed.

I captured the fuel towards the bottom on the tank in this pan. There were two notable pieces in the fuel. These pictures are after adding more fuel into the tank and splashing it around.

Name:	IMG_20181117_163853.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	657332

Name:	IMG_20181117_163336.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	657334

The rectangular piece feels slimey. I presume this could block the fuel outlet. Of course, the insect baffles me!

Now, I have rinsed the tank several times. Is there anything else I should do before reinstalling?

Meanwhile, on a 13 year old machine, I am inclined to replace some fuel lines. Looking at the JDparts site, they list some specific part numbers for these fuel lines. Are they preformed? The line from the tank to the filter looks like it is not formed and does not make any sharp turns. I can also, however, look through and have confidence that it is clean and does not appear to be collapsing or crumbling. However, it is clearly showing some signs of aging at the ends. Thoughts?

Name:	IMG_20181118_075426.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	657336

Name:	IMG_20181118_075439.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	657338

Meanwhile, I definitely feel like this needed attention. But I am not confident that this is all of my issue. Either way, this is worth doing.

So, in summary, what else do I want to do to the inside of this tank?

Do I want to wait for OEM fuel lines or go to the parts store and just buy bulk line?

Thanks,

Lee
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,097 Posts
    Do I want to wait for OEM fuel lines or go to the parts store and just buy bulk line?
    me--i would go get regular gas line at the Napa store--or whatever u got there. as long as its regular gas line-i think.

i doubt the line u would get at jd is any different.

now's the time to change them out-since ya got it all tore apart--imo. good luck-hope this helps ya out.
    fdmars and keane like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Jim. The JD like has a very pronounced woven covering on the outside. I also measured the outside diameter of the hose bib on the fuel filter housing at .290". This is small for 5/16" line but fairly large for 1/4" line. I guess I need to cut that piece in half and measure the inside of the existing line make sure I match the diameter.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:20 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,539 Times in 1,422 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    This is precisely why I keep a NEW spare seat switch in my spare parts kit. Very easy to swap and eliminate as a possible source. Plus the seat switches are inexpensive to purchase and take quite a bit of bouncing around under the seat. It's cheap insurance for a the low cost to have a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by ljnelson109 View Post
    So, I left the hood and sides off so that I would have quicker access to troubleshoot. I have new data. This time, when it died, I could see the filter housing quickly enough to see it refilling. It appears that I have a fuel flow issue from the tank. I don't understand, though, why it takes so long to get the tractor to restart after the fuel has returned to the bowl.

I removed the tank and dumped (very new fuel). Prior to this tankful, I ran the machine down quite low. Good news, I know this was all fresh fuel w/Optilube. The bad news is, I ran the tank down very low which may have contributed to some sort of junk being disturbed.

I captured the fuel towards the bottom on the tank in this pan. There were two notable pieces in the fuel. These pictures are after adding more fuel into the tank and splashing it around.

The rectangular piece feels slimey. I presume this could block the fuel outlet. Of course, the insect baffles me!

Now, I have rinsed the tank several times. Is there anything else I should do before reinstalling?

Meanwhile, on a 13 year old machine, I am inclined to replace some fuel lines. Looking at the JDparts site, they list some specific part numbers for these fuel lines. Are they preformed? The line from the tank to the filter looks like it is not formed and does not make any sharp turns. I can also, however, look through and have confidence that it is clean and does not appear to be collapsing or crumbling. However, it is clearly showing some signs of aging at the ends. Thoughts?

Meanwhile, I definitely feel like this needed attention. But I am not confident that this is all of my issue. Either way, this is worth doing.

So, in summary, what else do I want to do to the inside of this tank?

Thanks,

Lee
    If you buy bulk fuel line, buy very good grade fuel line for diesel fuel use. Make sure someone doesn't sell you "rubber line" which might be used for vacuum lines or other non fuel purposes. I would tend to get the OEM fuel lines just to make sure I have 100% the correct item and it will fit properly and should last another 15 years or more. But in a pinch, dedicated fuel line will work as long as there aren't formed bends, otherwise the line might crimp if you use bulk fuel line in it's place.

Intermittent failures can be tricky to locate......they take a systemic approach to eliminating possible culprits.

The fuel shutoff switch tends to fail and it doesn't allow the tractor to start. You don't hear that "CLICK" when you turn the key is usually what happens. These tend to either work or they don't. You can operate the shut off manually to verify it's function, so if it doesn't activate, you can actually move the shut off by hand to get the machine to run. But you might also need to shut it off by hand if you manipulate it. It's part of the ignition circuit and the tractor won't run if its unplugged, as you found.

If your tractor has a fuse panel, I would check to make sure the connections are all clean. Sometimes, over time, the dirt and dust from mowing will provide some problems if it gets into electrical connectors, etc. Just carefully use compressed air and pull the fuses and make sure the contacts are clean. Use the appropriate electrical contact cleaner to make sure everything has a good contact.

The fuel line with the protective cover is likely a formed line. Its hard to tell from the picture. I would definitely be replacing a line which looks like that certainly since you already have it off.......Notice how the line is cracked in the photo? I have seen these lines get weak and internally collapse during use restricting fuel flow. A new line will eliminate that issue for sure.

Make sure your fuel tank is venting correctly, either through the fuel cap or if it has a designated fuel tank vent. Clean your fuel cap and make sure if it has vent holes, they are allowing air through unrestricted.

I would test your fuel pumps output as well. A sign of a failing fuel pump can be when the tractor often quits while you are going up a hill. Gravity will often provide adequate flow down the hill. Sounds like you have hilly terrain. Do you recall if the tractor quit on the upside or downside of the hills?

I haven't looked up your tractor in the parts search but it seems like the fuel pump is attached to your Injector pump. Those are a diaphragm type "mechanical pump" if it's the one I think it is. It's not an electric pump in the tank like some others. But it seems like there was another thread on here about the diaphragm pumps losing prime or having an inconsistent fuel flow issues.

It seems like you either have or have access to the Technical Service Manual for your machine. Check out the fuel pump section and how to test the fuel flow volume to test your pump. These are pricey so you want to check it before just replacing it. It doesn't seem like these "manual" fuel pumps (verses the in tank electric pumps) have near the failure rate so testing the pump is in order.

Make sure to replace or at a minimum, clean the fuel pickup on the end of the pick up line in the tank, its usually a mesh unit slid over the end of the fuel pick up line to keep the fly out of the line. Over the years, the diesel will cause these to collapse and restrict fuel flow. Plus they can get a gummy coating on them from fuel and sediment in the bottom of the tank over time. At a minimum, take it out and inspect it and clean it real well. Just make sure it's not restrictive more than it should be.

It could also be a bad ground in the electrical system, which I say that because the tractor seems to quit after its warmed up. At times, bad grounds build heat because of the corrosion and restrict the current flow. Carefully check the battery cables as they can corrode under the cable coating near the battery terminal. If there is corrosion or the battery cable has been bent severely, replace the battery cables as they can cause some strange things to happen intermittently.

Please make sure to post a follow up as to what you find so it makes this thread really helpful for the next person with a similar machine issue. Thanks.
    fdmars, Ray_PA and Jeff B like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast