• 1 Post By W9GFO
  • 1 Post By JRD1025R

Thread: Light front end

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-18-2019 @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks

Light front end

So since i have owned the tractor I either have it setup with the mower only , the front end loader w / mower attached or loader/mower/backhoe. today i needed to clean an area around my pond so i decided to remove the mower and attach the backhoe and FEL. When i was done uses the backhoe and i went to move the machine ( was on the street side of my pond) the machine kept pushing instead of turning. the road on the one side is slightly pitched, but not that much. Has anyone else ran into this situation? is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL? this is the first time i have ran into this situation. If this has been talked about before i apologize, i tried using the search feature and found nothing... could be user error!? haha

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    Someone else may chime in knowing what you are describing but short of that I think we would be better able to help if you have a better description of exactly what you mean by “pushing instead or turning “. I for one just can’t figure out what that means or might look like and therefore can’t help

What were you trying to do?
    Did you have the brake off?
    What gear range did you select?
    Were you trying to go forward or backward?
    What was the throttle position?
    Were the tires turned? How much? Did you try to straighten them?
    What was the surface you were on?
    You mentioned a slope, what direction, how much?
    What end of the tractor was on the downslope?
    Was the surface Wet/dry/covered in leaves?
    Have you checked your tire pressure?
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:16 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,552 Times in 1,273 Posts
    Did you have MFWD engaged, that will cause the front end to push sometimes.
    Last edited by PJR832; 11-12-2018 at 06:29 AM.
    jdforever and Traction like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    New hampshire,"The Granite State": where we grow rocks
    Thanks
    Ran into similar problem moving leaves yesterday. Had carrier on 3PT with cement blocks for ballast and found front end was a little light on slippery wet leaves. Went real slow when the front end didn't want to make the turns. Removed half of cement blocks and was allright
    Roger O
    1025R SCUT
    120R LOADER
    260B BACKHOE
    54D MMM w/ AUTO CONNECT

WISHLIST
    I WANT IT ALL

SSG US army 6yr 3mo 10d
    Work hard, retire, work harder

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    Make sure your diff lock is not engaged.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    Traction and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,650 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogero246 View Post
    Ran into similar problem moving leaves yesterday. Had carrier on 3PT with cement blocks for ballast and found front end was a little light on slippery wet leaves. Went real slow when the front end didn't want to make the turns. Removed half of cement blocks and was allright
    Were you "moving" leaves or "mowing" leaves? (spell checker sometimes does weird things)
    PJR832 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    New hampshire,"The Granite State": where we grow rocks
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Were you "moving" leaves or "mowing" leaves? (spell checker sometimes does weird things)
    Moving leaves to mulchpile. Had to move them away from portable garage where they had fallen
    jgayman, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    Roger O
    1025R SCUT
    120R LOADER
    260B BACKHOE
    54D MMM w/ AUTO CONNECT

WISHLIST
    I WANT IT ALL

SSG US army 6yr 3mo 10d
    Work hard, retire, work harder

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 12:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD1025R View Post
    So since i have owned the tractor I either have it setup with the mower only , the front end loader w / mower attached or loader/mower/backhoe. today i needed to clean an area around my pond so i decided to remove the mower and attach the backhoe and FEL. When i was done uses the backhoe and i went to move the machine ( was on the street side of my pond) the machine kept pushing instead of turning. the road on the one side is slightly pitched, but not that much. Has anyone else ran into this situation? is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL? this is the first time i have ran into this situation. If this has been talked about before i apologize, i tried using the search feature and found nothing... could be user error!? haha
    I have the same setup and the backhoe is perfect ballast for the front end loader, neither too heavy or too light. It's my preferred ballast when I'm doing loader work.

Two things already mentioned previously can cause the front end to keep wanting to go straight even though you are turning: the rear differential is locked (both rear wheels are locked together using the foot peg on the left side), or the MFWD (mechanical front wheel drive) is engaged (lever just to the right of the seat).

I think you had the tractor in MFWD when you experienced the issue. While MFWD does add traction by powering the front tires, it has a limitation where it can only turn both front tires at the same speed. When you are driving in a straight line you won't have any issues as all four tires are driving at the same speed and the tractor will "feel" normal. However, during a turn the inner front wheel needs to spin slower and the outer front wheel needs to spin faster. Since MFWD can only drive the front tires at the same speed, the inner wheel is actually going too fast for the turn (and will slip) and the outer wheel is going to slow for the turn (and will slip). So in a left turn, the left (inner) tire is going too fast for the turn and will push/drive the tractor back to the right while the right (outer) tire is going too slow for the left turn and will drag/pull the tractor back to the right. The net effect is the tractor wants to keep going straight and won't make as tight of a turn due to the necessary wheel slippage.

It is all well and good when you are on a surface that allows for the tires to slip during a turn. Snow, sand, dirt, and even wet grass doesn't present a problem when using MFWD. But, if you drive the tractor on a high traction surface like a road, you can actually damage the machine because the tires won't be able to slip during a turn. Instead of slipping the tires as normal, the tractor will start to resist your turn and the tires will start jumping and hopping to relieve the binding tension created by the high traction. Worse case scenario is something is going to break on the machine so NEVER use MFWD on a high traction surface like a road.
    Last edited by Traction; 11-12-2018 at 08:44 PM.
    PJR832 and marlinguidegun like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (11-13-2018)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD1025R View Post
    ...is the backhoe really that much heavier than the FEL?
    No.

Well, yes it is heavier - but it is also closer to the rear axle than the FEL. Regardless, there is still plenty of weight on the front wheels. Do not take weight off the back to try to solve your problem, that will make your tractor much less stable.

Most likely your diff lock is engaged or you are using 4wd on a paved surface. Maybe even both.
    PJR832 likes this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-18-2019 @ 02:33 AM
    Thanks
    I wasn't doing anything with the machine at that point ... i was done using the backhoe and i was driving it back to my garage. The diff lock was not engaged nor was the 4WD... that was the first thing i checked.
    PJR832 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements