Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Holy smokes!!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    07-30-2019 @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

Holy smokes!!

I was doing a 100 hour oil change on my 1025r and discovered my air cleaner bracket bracket ( part # LVU28618 ) also had broken at the base. It seemed to be an extraordinary situation as there wasn't an impact, excessive vibration or any other situation occur that would break, what I thought would be a capable part. I called the dealer and was surprised that there was an issue with that bracket and further they want to bring the tractor in, replace the bracket and look at the valve cover and the engine since there has been numerous issues with this bracket arising from (excessive?)vibration that affected other engine parts. I was told by the a service manager that they have had to replace entire motors on account of this issue! All this including transportation is being covered by the warranty. It may make sense to revisit this issue for some of you earlier guys who were rejected under the warranty as it appears to be a manufacturers defect that may either add clarity to subsequent repairs or serve as a FYI of issues downstream.

Here's a previous thread with some early discoveries of this issue: https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...r-bracket.html
    Last edited by LoneStranger; 11-13-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    North585, Tomfive, Levi and 7 others like this.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    60" Everything Attachments aerator
    Cyclone Rake (Original) w 3 pt hitch
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LoneStranger For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (11-15-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    I was doing a 100 hour oil change on my 1025r and discovered my air cleaner bracket bracket ( part # LVU28618 ) also had broken at the base. It seemed to be an extraordinary situation as there wasn't an impact, excessive vibration or any other situation occur that would break, what I thought would be a capable part. I called the dealer and was surprised that there was an issue with that bracket and further they want to bring the tractor in, replace the bracket and look at the valve cover and the engine since there has been numerous issues with this bracket arising from (excessive?)vibration that affected other engine parts. I was told by the a service manager that they have had to replace entire motors on account of this issue! All this including transportation is being covered by the warranty. It may make sense to revisit this issue for some of you earlier guys who were rejected under the warranty as it appears to be a manufacturers defect.

Here's a previous thread with some early discoveries of this issue: https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...r-bracket.html
    So i see you also have a 2016..? Let me know if your dealer covers it. Mine here in CT said it is not covered. Although only my strap broke, not the bracket itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
    So i see you also have a 2016..? Let me know if your dealer covers it. Mine here in CT said it is not covered. Although only my strap broke, not the bracket itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do own a 2016 and have experienced no issues to date aside from the broken bracket. I'll keep the board apprised of my progress on this matter.
    Last edited by LoneStranger; 11-13-2018 at 09:24 AM.
    Levi, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:19 PM
    Thanks
    That seems to be a JD engineering blunder with that year!
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Its interesting to read the different dealer responses on these issues.

In this case the dealer is all over it, saying its a known problem and they have done lots of work related to this issue, even replacing engines.
    In another case, the persons dealer said they had never even heard of it and have never replaced so much as a strap.

Maybe its the cynic in me, but I have a hard time believing the second situation is a truthful account. If my little dealer has replaced parts, surely others have too. Or maybe in the second instance, that dealer just doesnt sell many 1025s at all.

In any case, its good to know these are being dealt with. Its also sad to hear that some dealers are not covering these things.
    What was the standard warranty in 2016? I believe its now 3 years isnt it?
    Levi, PJR832 and Emeribd like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Compact Utility Tractors
    a) Powertrain on Compact Utility Tractors (components as per B above)
    24 months or 2000 hours, Whichever Comes First
    72 months or 2000 hours, Whichever Comes First

B. WHAT IS WARRANTED – All parts of any new John Deere Equipment, except tires and batteries (which are warranted under separate documents
    provided with each product), are warranted for the number of months or operating hours specified below. Warranty statements required by law covering
    engine emission-related parts and components, which shall not be less than the engine warranty, are found in the Operator’s Manual delivered with the
    Equipment. Included In Compact Utility Tractor Powertrain Warranty - Engine: cylinder block, cylinder head, valve covers, oil pan, timing gear
    covers, flywheel housing, emissions control components and all parts contained therein. Powertrain: transmission, transmission case, differential and
    axle housings, clutch housings, MFWD front axle assembly, and all parts contained therein (does not include external drivelines, dry clutch parts, or
    steering cylinders).

My tractor exceeds the warranty on the 24 months provision yet they are proceeding with the inspection and subsequent repairs/replacement whichever is necessary. Gotta tell you, I'm loving my dealer right about now...
    Last edited by LoneStranger; 11-13-2018 at 10:31 AM.
    North585, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    2016 JD 1025r
    H120 fel
    rear ballast box
    60D MMM
    iMatch
    Heavy Hitch
    RB2060L Rear Blade
    LR2060L Landscaper Rake
    42" Frontier front forks
    54" snow blade
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    1999 JD LT155
    38"deck w/ bagger
    42" snow blade

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    The main issue with some 2016s was inproper torque on the bracket hardware on the valve cover. Some required just a retorque of the nuts. If the valve cover was damaged it was replaced. If the valve cover was collapsed we had to do a compression test. If it failed the compression test the complete engine was replaced. Never seen a damaged valve cover, hence, never replaced a complete engine for this issue.
    Good to see your dealer taking care of the issue.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    North585, Levi, OxPath and 7 others like this.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (11-13-2018), Tractor Tim (11-15-2018), Winter83 (11-13-2018)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,554 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The main issue with some 2016s was inproper torque on the bracket hardware on the valve cover. Some required just a retorque of the nuts. If the valve cover was damaged it was replaced. If the valve cover was collapsed we had to do a compression test. If it failed the compression test the complete engine was replaced. Never seen a damaged valve cover, hence, never replaced a complete engine for this issue.
    Good to see your dealer taking care of the issue.

Very helpful and useful explanation. Makes perfect sense and seems like a prudent way to address the issue. Xcopterdoc, was the over torque issue limited to the 2016's or are other years involved?

It sounds like there might really be more than issue at play. First is the design itself of the air cleaner bracket and the other is the excessive torquing on some 2016's, which can cause other issues.

Thanks for your response.
    Levi, OxPath and jdforever like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Very helpful and useful explanation. Makes perfect sense and seems like a prudent way to address the issue. Xcopterdoc, was the over torque issue limited to the 2016's or are other years involved?

It sounds like there might really be more than issue at play. First is the design itself of the air cleaner bracket and the other is the excessive torquing on some 2016's, which can cause other issues.

Thanks for your response.
    The torque issue was actually an under torque. Sorry I didnt specify that. So... The nuts were coming loose, causing a noise and damaging the valve cover. The breaking of the bracket was a different issue. The nuts weren't coming loose, just the bracket breaking.
    The loose bracket issue seems to have been on units prior to a June 16 build date. But again.. Who knows if when and how this issue was really corrected and if a few slipped thru after June 16. No big deal.. Again.. Deere stepped up, took notice and responsibility.
    But.. In the end, it is the dealership responsibility to be trained, aware and willing to do their part to make it right with the customer. Even it it means taking a loss money wise.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (11-16-2018), Tractor Tim (11-15-2018), Winter83 (11-13-2018)

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    The torque issue was actually an under torque. Sorry I didnt specify that. So... The nuts were coming loose, causing a noise and damaging the valve cover. The breaking of the bracket was a different issue. The nuts weren't coming loose, just the bracket breaking.
    The loose bracket issue seems to have been on units prior to a June 16 build date. But again.. Who knows if when and how this issue was really corrected and if a few slipped thru after June 16. No big deal.. Again.. Deere stepped up, took notice and responsibility.
    But.. In the end, it is the dealership responsibility to be trained, aware and willing to do their part to make it right with the customer. Even it it means taking a loss money wise.

Oh great it explains last year I heard some loud clanging noises and popped the hood and saw the nuts were backed off and the plate was vibrating. Guess I should have called the dealer instead of snugging them down. I have not had any issues since but will defiantly now give it a good looking over. I was planing on doing the air filter change as well. If the cover is damaged I’d see it right? Plus that was over a year ago and have not noticed anything different with the machine so maybe if I lucked out ill just take that troublesome bracket off asap and install the new old design. It was made in either April or May of ‘16.

Thanks as always xcopterdoc for the knowledge and information
    Blade Runner likes this.
    2013 JD X500 HDAPS, 48", 7 BU Power Flow Sold
    2017 JD X570 48”
    2016 JD 1025R, 54" MMM, H120 FEL, Imatch, KBOGH, Kens Extended Quick Hitch Hook,Ken's 6" Step, and various others,Piranha Bar, JD 18 CART, JD Broadcast Spreader, King Kutter 48" Rototiller, Compact Tractor Attachments 60” Loader Mounted Plow,Artillian Diverter Kit, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Hitch, 12 JD 42lb Suitcase Weights, Land Pride BB1254 Box Scraper (Blade), Land Pride CA1548 Aerator, Titan UA 42” Pallet Forks

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast