• 2 Post By Minuteman17
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: 1025r ticking at idle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks

1025r ticking at idle

As I was switching over to winter mode, and putting on my front mount blower, I noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine. It only happens at idle, and seems to go away as I increase rpms. I never noticed it before, but usually have hearing protection on when mowing. Should I be concerned?

2017 1025 r, just under 100 hours
    buckteeth445 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks

ticking sound

With it at idle, raise the hood and look very carefully for something loose - maybe the air filter strap broke? Maybe the fan is hitting something? How fast is the ticking? Gently advance RPM and see when it goes away or if speeds up before going away. Is it in time with something moving - fan, alternator pulley, vibrations? Is it metallic sounding? A you retard throttle back to idle, at what RPM do you hear it? Is it louder at any other engine speed as you vary the throttle? Good luck.
    North585 and BigJim55 like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Minuteman17 For This Useful Post:

mopeman†(11-14-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-13-2019 @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    With it at idle, raise the hood and look very carefully for something loose - maybe the air filter strap broke? Maybe the fan is hitting something? How fast is the ticking? Gently advance RPM and see when it goes away or if speeds up before going away. Is it in time with something moving - fan, alternator pulley, vibrations? Is it metallic sounding? A you retard throttle back to idle, at what RPM do you hear it? Is it louder at any other engine speed as you vary the throttle? Good luck.
    Air filter strap is broken, but replaced with a bungee cord. I canít really find any other source. It goes away as I increase rpms, but itís very noticeable at idle

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Air filter strap is broken, but replaced with a bungee cord. I canít really find any other source. It goes away as I increase rpms, but itís very noticeable at idle
    Are you still running the same engine oil from when it was new or has it been changed?

Is it right at start up or anytime the engine is at idle?

There is a restrictor cap on the injector pump which tends to rattle at idle making a ticking / rattling sound. Its a round metal cover / cap which is there to prevent consumers from changing the injector pump WOT and Idle speeds. It's actually a metal cover which is usually silver and "rattles" at idle. If that's the noise you are hearing, nothing to be concerned about.

It's number 9 in this illustration.....

John Deere Parts Catalog
    North585 and dieselshadow like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ropie View Post
    Check the tightness of the 3 bolts holding the bracket to the valve cover about 20 foot pounds. Most likely one or more are loose even though they are nylocks. A couple drops of locktite to make it for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements