Like Tree24Likes

Thread: SCUT vs X360 Mowing Quality

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks

SCUT vs X360 Mowing Quality

Hello Everyone,

I recently purchased a new to me JD X360 with the Edge Xtra 48" deck. It had 62 hours on it and I paid $2400 for it. It looks brand new top to bottom. It cuts our lawn just how we like it - short and smooth putting green quality with no scalping. Even in turns the grass is cut smooth. We were really shocked at how well it can cut short and smooth with no scalping. Its bad for the grass, but we do not cut it high or a even normal cut lenght, we like our grass cut short as in putting green short (our in ground pool attracts snakes).

We love the power steering/tilt wheel, hydraulic deck lift, serviceable transmission, etc. The 22hp Kaw V twin has more than enough power. Its also the quietest riding mower we have ever used. Its fast, has very easy steering and convenient controls and very maneuverable. The X360 provides the best putting green quality mowing we have ever experienced for our lawn. For us, its actually fun mowing the 1.5 acre lawn with it. Yes, we love it.

Yet, having said that, I am considering a low hour 1026R or 1025R to have an all in one. I love the look of the 1 series and really like the low ride height (I used tractors as a kid and owned a bigger Yanmar tractor). The latest style hood on the 1 series and all the latest JD tractors look mega nice. Infact, because of the hood design, I think my wife would think my tractor is sexy! LOL! I love the ideal of a low seat height, heavy, diesel powered, riding mower sized 4 wheel drive tractor, that can help me with all I need to do on my place.....and look good doing it. LOL!

We would prefer a 1026R or a 1025R as we want cruise for mowing. I have seen low hour 1026Rs and 1025Rs with the mower and frontend loader in the $11,000 to $12,000 range. I have also seen a new 1025R with a mower and frontend loader for $15,699 + tax until the end of January. Which route I would take really depends on the lowest monthly payment I could get with at least the mower and frontend loader.

Besides mowing we also need landscaping, concrete debris removal, brush hogging, fence building and tilling on our 20 acre place. I can pay rather cheaply for these services, but it would be less fun. LOL! However, I would not be able to keep both the X360 and the SCUT. A critical factor for us is the cutting quality of the SCUT.

I have read reviews and watched vids of SCUT mowing with mixed results. Some say they mow great and have the power to cut through anything. Some reviews state they mow good IF on the high setting only. Others say they mow just "ok". Yet, others state the mowing is of very low quality and or uneven in straight aways and turns and or leaves strips. Some users say the deck needs the front roller my X360 has. There are videos of how to install a front roller on the 1 series decks?? Some say the deck setup is to blame or not setting the anti-scalp wheels correctly or an unlevel deck. Yet, some have tried to re-adjust everything (and or had the dealership try) and the mowing quality is still low. While others state that it does not maneuver as well as a "sports car" like X series mower but more like a heavy truck. Some report that changing to turf tires will reduce tearing the lawn but will have less grip for the frontend loader.

As with anything, some will have a bad experience and report that they are all bad and some that have spent a lot of money may rationalize that its better than it actually is. I need to know the truth....without me actually test driving one. Haha....eh.

Can someone that has mowed with a JD X360 or similar JD (with roller on front of deck and 4 anti-scalp wheels) AND a 1025R/1026R tell me the truth about a comparison of short cutting abilities?

In a nutshell, I need to know if a 1025R or 1026R can cut a lawn SHORT and SMOOTH like a putting green with NO SCALPING, like my X360 does? Thanks for any insight.
    Last edited by Blade Runner; 11-16-2018 at 03:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
    In a nutshell, I need to know if a 1025R or 1026R can cut a lawn SHORT and SMOOTH like a putting green with NO SCALPING, like my X360 does? Thanks for any insight.
    In a nutshell. nope.
    Traction and Ducky like this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 04:38 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with fishbait. Cut quality on these SCUT's is terrible. That being said I like OP am very particular about my lawn. I cut with a Walker brand zero turn. Probably the best you can get.

Few problems with the 10series decks. Not deep enough deck so doesn't get good lift on grass blades/cuttings don't get mulched that good. Deck hangs from tractor and doesnt articulate that well. The best designs have the deck roll on the ground with four wheels or rollers and the tractor is pretty loosley attached. Deck is tricky to level properly. Material collection if you want that is expensive if you need that feature. Tho the aftermarket 3point ones with PTO drivven rear impeller suck leaves awsome.

Lot of compramises on this deck. The drive over feature tho conveniant adds complexity and space constraints. Its a jack of all trades machine but not nesecarily great for just one purpose. Its usually good enough as most people when it comes to lawns just are not that picky.

I recomend keeping what you got for mowing or plan on a 3 point finish mower for a 10series. Or best solution get a larger tractor and zero turn if/when funds are available.

Good luck!
    1026R
    H120 loader
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    80 dump cart
    4' Bush Hog
    47" snow blower
    3pt Carry all
    Northstar sprayer

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-18-2019 @ 08:07 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with the comments. My 1023e cuts "fine" but my dedicated cub cadet mower is a MUCH better cut. I can almost promise you will get scalping with a 1 series mower on any uneven terrain or on turns when cutting as low as you do.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    One thing I really like about GTT is that we get to spend other people's money!!

That said, if you are free and clear on the 360, keep it, save a little more and ADD a 1 series to your fleet. That way your wife can mow the lawn while you're playing, I mean working, with the 1 series.

Sometimes I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my Craftsman tractor after I got the Deere. Would have been nice just for dragging a cart to move stuff when the Deere is set up for doing other things.
    Rudy-

Stable includes:
    2017 x580, 54" deck with Mulcher, sleeve hitch, rear blade, box scraper, 47" Snowblower, rear mount electric spreader
    1980 IH Cub Cadet 682, 50" deck, rototiller, front blade (inherited from FIL, in middle of full restore)
    Other Toys:
    Stihl MS290 Farm Boss Chainsaw
    Stihl BG56 Blower
    Stihl KM 111 Kombisystem

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    I'll echo what everyone else has said.. the 1025R cuts okay. You might be able to spend a bunch of time and make modifications (such as adding a center anti-scalp wheel on the 54" deck), but it's not a dedicated mowing machine will never perform like one. There is a gentleman local to me who has two 2 series tractors (an older and a newer 2032R or 2038R) with loaders and mowers who's entire lawn is a golf course. I have no idea how he does it, but it always looks immaculate right down to the putting greens and I know he generally only mows with the tractors (with loaders still on). Maybe the issue falls into setup, or maybe the mowers on the 2 series are that much better.

With that said, the mowing deck on the 1025R costs about as much as that entire X360. As efficient as the diesel is when mowing and how much I personally hate having to take care of two motors vs one, I'd say if you're happy with the X360 cut keep it and maybe try to go to a 2 or 3 series tractor; especially with 20 acres and wanting to do a lot of bush hogging\tilling\loader work.
    North585 and ColonyPark like this.
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,258 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Etkini View Post
    With that said, the mowing deck on the 1025R costs about as much as that entire X360. As efficient as the diesel is when mowing and how much I personally hate having to take care of two motors vs one, I'd say if you're happy with the X360 cut keep it and maybe try to go to a 2 or 3 series tractor; especially with 20 acres and wanting to do a lot of bush hogging\tilling\loader work.
    ^^^^^^ That's good advice right there.

I skipped the deck when I bought my 2720 and instead got a dedicated riding mower. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. It mows WAY better than the big tractor could ever do. No ruts, no tire marks, etc. It's also nice not having to mess around with removing/installing the mower deck every time I want to do some dirt work. I also use the rider with a lawn cart most of the time for small chores around the yard.
    North585 and ColonyPark like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 05:57 PM
    Thanks
    Oh I dunno. I'm pretty happy with my cut. And I've never even properly set it up like Jason's sticky. Just what the dealer did for setup.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	40759494100_fd0ff7fdda_c.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	657028
    North585, ColonyPark, JKR and 2 others like this.
    2012 1026r
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54" MMM
    Powerflow w/ 3 bagger
    47" FE Snowblower
    48" Xtreme Box Blade from EverythingAttachments.com

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-15-2019 @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you to everyone taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Its not what I wanted to hear but needed to know. I was hoping someone would say something like....my scut mows as good or almost as good as my JD X_______ riding mower or my scut mowed lawn looked like goats were let loose or a big rig semi truck had rolled over it until I did the front roller add on, then it mowed as good as my JD X____ riding mower. haha.....eh.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
    Thank you to everyone taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Its not what I wanted to hear but needed to know. I was hoping someone would say something like....my scut mows as good or almost as good as my JD X_______ riding mower or my scut mowed lawn looked like goats were let loose or a big rig semi truck had rolled over it until I did the front roller add on, then it mowed as good as my JD X____ riding mower. haha.....eh.
    To give you and idea of my opinion of the cut quality of the SCUT's, I don't even own a MMM for my machine and never will. I do use it for rear "brush hog" type mowing and everything else. I mow lawns with a professional Zero turn and would never go back to using anything else. The professional zero turns don't do too many different tasks, but they are exceptional at cutting grass when used properly, maintained correctly and not driven at the 13 mph they can mow........

On another of your topics / questions, I brush hog mow 10 acres with my 1025R. I have progressively "converted" 5 acres of the field into being able to be mowed by the zero turn and the remainder with my 1025r. It would not break my heart to have all of the 10 acres mowed with the zero turn, but I am specifically leaving uncut areas for wildlife habitat. If you have a large area you want to "brush hog cut", I would go bigger than the 1 series and keep the mower you have for the lawn if you are happy. If you want to speed the process up of mowing the lawn and having a really nice cut, there are alternatives, but in reality, there are always alternatives.

You will find more ways to use the Front end loader on another tractor that you will wonder how you ever got along without one. My number one used implement is my 3 point carry all, my second most used implement are the pallet forks for my FEL..........

While you might be tempted to consider machines in the "e" class (other than the 1023e) keep in mind they do not have Mid PTO options which means no front driven implements like snow blowers, rotary brooms, etc. While they are often attractive in price, for example you can buy a 3025e for not a great deal more than the 1025R, but it won't have the mid pto to drive front implements.

I have seen many of the "e" series machines for resale with very low hours on them and the most common reasons are the lack of the PTO and the D series of FEL which they come with that is not easy to take off and put on the machine. So don't be tempted to select a machine thinking "Oh, I will never need a Mid PTO" or "I don't plan on taking off the FEL" because this seems to be a common mistake some people make and live to regret it.......

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast