Front tire chains 1026r bad idea ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Front tire chains 1026r bad idea ?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-24-2019 @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks

Front tire chains 1026r bad idea ?

Just added a new 54” front mounted snowblower and was going to install chains on the front wheels to get better traction . Called the dealer and they do not recommend front wheel chains for 2 reasons . They say that it is very hard on the drive gears and that they will rub on the knuckle of the wheel housing. Looking for advise from anyone running front wheel chains . Thanks !
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2012 John Deere 1026R TLB , 60" Frontier Box Blade BB2060

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    I can't give you a personal suggestion as I've never ran front chains on any tractor I've had or used, but I did find some other threads where it was discussed and it seems to be a few good arguments against them, and a few good reasons to use them. Personally, I've never felt a need for any chains on the 1025R, and when I did use rear chains on a lighter tractor (X730) I tore up some of my asphalt driveway (again, not suggested to use them on asphalt but many have done it with no issues) and gained absolutely no traction on ice.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...re-chains.html

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...res-1026r.html

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...nt-chains.html
    Last edited by Etkini; 11-19-2018 at 11:37 AM.
    genesusie likes this.
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Etkini For This Useful Post:

darvic (11-19-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-01-2019 @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Etkini View Post
    I can't give you a personal suggestion as I've never ran front chains on any tractor I've had or used, but I did find some other threads where it was discussed and it seems to be a few good arguments against them, and a few good reasons to use them. Personally, I've never felt a need for any chains on the 1025R, and when I did use rear chains on a lighter tractor (X730) I tore up some of my asphalt driveway (again, not suggested to use them on asphalt but many have done it with no issues) and gained absolutely no traction on ice.

Hi,
    I have a set that I run on my 1025R, same machine basically. You have to limit the front turning on the left side, due to the hydraulic fitting on the steering cylinder. I also cusomized a set of chains that I had from an old tractor that were basically new. I ran them several years. Not running any as yet this year, testing my groved tires. The chains I made are very tight. I did not have issues with the nuckles or the hydraulic fitting. Rarely used 4x4, only when I stuck it. I only used it for increased steering traction, 95% of the time. I have pics on here someplace with regard to exhaust diversion which shows the chains on. I'll see if I can locate them.
    Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Wj80, PJR832 and Etkini like this.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    04-24-2019 @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Etkini View Post

Thanks for the links to other threads , gives me lots of options to think about . As a first step I’ll add ballast to the back and forget about the chains until I see if I really need them . First storm was about 8” of wet snow and icy underneath and with no ballast slid around a fair bit . Again thx for taking the time to dig up the attached links
    Rbmurray210 and Etkini like this.
    2012 John Deere 1026R TLB , 60" Frontier Box Blade BB2060

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Long straight runs and some gentle turns are probably harmless. But turning has numerous expensive risks as outlined in all those other threads. So the real question is this:
    A) Do you actually have a demonstrated need for the front chains yet? If not, wait and see if you actually need it first.
    B) Do you trust yourself to not blow the front driveline up while making sharp turns forgetting about it? (I do not trust me)
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    03-28-2019 @ 04:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darvic View Post
    Thanks for the links to other threads , gives me lots of options to think about . As a first step I’ll add ballast to the back and forget about the chains until I see if I really need them . First storm was about 8” of wet snow and icy underneath and with no ballast slid around a fair bit . Again thx for taking the time to dig up the attached links
    I am in upstate also inside the snowbelt had 155"+ last year. My driveway is straight up a hill and usually I plow or rear snow blow in just 2wd. I have never even been close to needing chains for anything at most I go to AWD on occasion. You are correct about everything being balanced well with you ballast I am running a front plow and rear 3 point blower on the rear that gives plenty of weight for great tractive effort.

I did have a Kubota b6200 when I first moved here that just had a rear blower and I had to have chains on it to even make it back up the hill, that was solely due to all the weight on the rear with nothing on the front.

just my 2 cents, good luck.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    1026/54 plow w/wings and rubber cutting edge.

Driveway hill, no chains-no plow performance! I got by with the loader last week since I was caught minus my trousers by the snow and still doing leaves...

I chain up both my GX335 rear wheel GT/snowblower and my 1026 4WD w/plow because I've stuck them both once. Get a little too deep into the side of the pavement and the snow can easily cause a spin out trying to back up.

DON'T FORGET your DIFFERENTIAL LOCK PEDAL!!!
    With a fully angled blade of snow going uphill mine will track mostly straight all the way up the hill until 2-3 passes when I have to reduce the cut taken. Handy thing that DIFLOCK!
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:55 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,418 Posts
    I do a lot of plowing and have not seen the need for rear chains, let alone front chains. The proper a ballast makes a ton of difference on the tractor. I would work towards the correct rear ballast before even thinking about adding chains on the rear, let alone the front.

Several of the driveways I plow are very steep grades and several of them require me to push all the snow up the driveways and to designated areas, which is the toughest requirement of the plow. Here is a picture of one driveway I plow so you can get a feel for the grade, etc. As I mentioned, I do not use front or rear tire chains on my 1025R. Note in the photo my tractor is sitting near the front of the house, to give you a feeling for the scale, etc.

Also, I plow with a rubber squeegee on my plow which really cleans the driveway surface, which adds to the overall traction on the surface.

Please keep in mind that some situations are not going to be ideal for traction, but they are usually the exception and not the rule. Nothing improves traction on glare ice other than steel tire chains. But the same chains will tear up the sealant level on asphalt and score both the black top and even the concrete and leave the driveway surface compromised. Concrete always has better traction than blacktop. Blacktop which has recently been sealed with have the slickest surface. Add glare ice on recently sealed black top and you will have poor traction under most equipment.

Also, make sure your front traction issues are not from too much front down pressure on the snow blower when on your tractor. Not only will too much front down pressure with the snow blower cause steering issues, it will also cause traction issues. Personally, I would suggest finding the rear ballast and watching the front down pressure and I am confident you will find you don't need the front chains.

I live in an area where we get a lot of lake effect snow and I plowed 45 times last season. When I plow, it takes me anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours each plow outing as I am plowing about 2 dozen residential driveways and at times, up to 1.5 miles of private roads which are 33' wide.

The snow blower should be easier to regulate the down pressure than is the plow because you aren't raising and lowering the snow blower nearly as much as you would the plow.

If you are new to plowing / snow blowing with this equipment, I would give yourself some time to get accustomed with this equipment and make sure that you are comfortable and getting the most out of your machine before making changes or adding traction aids.

Also, if for some reason you find there is a need for something on the front axle, consider "Terra Grips" as an alternative as they are less likely to cause damage to either the tractor, the driveway and dmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm (evidence that turkey does make you sleepy, I just dozed off while typing my response and the result is the dmmmmmmm you see.....)

Superior-Tech | Rubber Tire Chains

I used Terra Grips extensively on my 2 wd 455 tractor and was very pleased with the results. I prefer these to tire chains as the cross links don't fail, the drive doesn't get scored up and they don't have the noise and vibration which can accompany some tire chains. Make sure to use the cross tensioners to keep them really
    tight. I found these to be very beneficial. I run two tensioners per rear wheel and crossed them in the center. No problems, no issues.

Amazon.com: Security Chain Company QG20032 Quik Grip Medium Tire Traction Chain Rubber Tightener - Set of 2: Automotive
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171215_124342714.jpg  
    cowboy bp likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have run front chains on my 1026r without any issues. I run v-bar chains on the rear, twist link on the front. I do not have a paved driveway. My driveway typically has packed snow or a ice covering. Chains are pretty much a must have for me. The front chains go on and off pretty easy, so l only use them for heavy snowfalls. Haven’t put them the last couple of winters due to lack of snow. Rear chains go on when I take the mmm off the week before thanksgiving and stay on until Easter.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    I bought my 1025 with rear chains and after the first year never used them again. In 4wd with a heavy ballast box and R4 tires, I've yet to need any chains to snow blow.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast