My first problem. Guessing fuel starvation?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: My first problem. Guessing fuel starvation?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:20 AM
    Thanks

My first problem. Guessing fuel starvation?

1025r bought new February of 2018, has 38 hours on the clock. While running it today cutting leaves with the mower deck, it began to lose rpm and power under load. A little sputtering too while bogging. The leaves were not very deep or anything like that. I did get it to act up while speeding up without the mower engaged, so I doubt the mower is to blame. I topped off with fresh fuel but did not help much. It's kind of intermittent, runs good for a while then acts up. I haven't changed any fluids or filters as of yet. The red ring in the fuel filter bowl was not floating at all. I drained it anyway but it didn't fix anything. I'm going to try changing both fuel filters and take it from there. I have been using diesel Stabil from day one in each tank full. I'm real careful not to let crud fall into the cap when refueling so I'm hoping nothing is stopping up the pickup. What do you think?
    Last edited by jimmylh; 11-20-2018 at 03:59 PM.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Is the little fuel pump under the hood clicking?
    If the filters don't do the trick, it could be that pump is failing/failed and not supplying fuel, or enough of it.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    1025r bought new February of 2018, has 38 hours on the clock. While running it today cutting leaves with the mower deck, it began to lose rpm and power under load. A little sputtering too while bogging. The leaves were not very deep or anything like that. I did get it to act up while speeding up without the mower engaged, so I doubt the mower is to blame. I topped off with fresh fuel but did not help much. It's kind of intermittent, runs good for a while then acts up. I haven't changed any fluids or filters as of yet. The red ring in the fuel filter bowl was not floating at all. I drained it anyway but it didn't fix anything. I'm going to try changing both fuel filters and take it from there. I have been using diesel Stabil from day one in each tank full. I'm real careful not to let crud fall into the cap when refueling so I'm hoping nothing is stopping up the pickup. What do you think?
    There is not pick up, such as in a auto gas tank. There is only a hole into the fitting for the fuel line clamps to.
    Be sure your fuel shut off did not get inadvertantly partially shut.
    If you have recently purchased fuel, and it is not from a known reputable station, you may need to drain the tank and put fresh fuel in.
    I would start with the filter. When both are changed, put the parking brake on, put it in neutral, do not start it, but put it in the run position and notice if the bowl filter with the red ring fills fairly quickly. Could also be the priming lift pump.
    I cannot think of anything else, but I am sure others will be along before long. Good luck and let us know what it is.
    Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Is the little fuel pump under the hood clicking?
    If the filters don't do the trick, it could be that pump is failing/failed and not supplying fuel, or enough of it.
    Yeah, the pump is working. It clicks and filled the fuel bowl right up after I drained it.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    There is not pick up, such as in a auto gas tank. There is only a hole into the fitting for the fuel line clamps to.
    Be sure your fuel shut off did not get inadvertantly partially shut.
    If you have recently purchased fuel, and it is not from a known reputable station, you may need to drain the tank and put fresh fuel in.
    I would start with the filter. When both are changed, put the parking brake on, put it in neutral, do not start it, but put it in the run position and notice if the bowl filter with the red ring fills fairly quickly. Could also be the priming lift pump.
    I cannot think of anything else, but I am sure others will be along before long. Good luck and let us know what it is.
    Bill

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've been using the same station since I got the tractor with no problems. You never know though.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks
    I'm gathering it is not handy to bring this to the dealer for warranty service.

You may want to check the fuel shut-off solenoid and make sure it is being drawn fully in. It appears the 1-series also utilizes a two stage solenoid. When the ignition is first turned on, both sections of the solenoid are energized to provide enough magnetic force to overcome the return spring force. After a very brief period of time, the section controlled by the instrument cluster microprocessor is de-energized, as once the return spring force has been initially overcome, it is not required to keep it seated. This reduces current draw and heat build up in the solenoid, prolonging its life.

If the solenoid is not being full seated, fuel flow will be restricted and could produce the fuel starvation issues you are experiencing.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I'm gathering it is not handy to bring this to the dealer for warranty service.

You may want to check the fuel shut-off solenoid and make sure it is being drawn fully in. It appears the 1-series also utilizes a two stage solenoid. When the ignition is first turned on, both sections of the solenoid are energized to provide enough magnetic force to overcome the return spring force. After a very brief period of time, the section controlled by the instrument cluster microprocessor is de-energized, as once the return spring force has been initially overcome, it is not required to keep it seated. This reduces current draw and heat build up in the solenoid, prolonging its life.

If the solenoid is not being full seated, fuel flow will be restricted and could produce the fuel starvation issues you are experiencing.

I'm about 40 miles away from the dealer where I bought it. I have a trailer to haul it in if need be, but I hate to do it if all it needs is a fuel filter and some fresh diesel. I also don't want to get charged 3 arms and a leg for them changing a consumable that may not be covered under warranty. I've got some on order from Green farm parts. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll call up the dealer and set up a time.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 11-20-2018 at 07:19 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Cover the basics before getting into the obscure......

Start simple and loosen the fuel cap to make sure its not a fuel system vent issue.........run it for awhile at varying RPMS with the cap loosened to make sure, but don't let anything get into the fuel.

Are there any fault codes in the dash?

Before you get into anything complex or expensive, I personally would drain the fuel tank, use a clean jug and get fuel at a different location, preferably where they sell a lot of diesel, like a truck stop. Try a different container of diesel treatment also, so you have all new fuel and all new treatment and make sure to run it long enough to burn the old fuel out of the system.

Diesel fuel can gets this waxy film on filters and components which is hard to see. I always screen all of my fuel just to be safe.

My money is on bad fuel.................hey, things happen.

Due to the issue happening both under PTO load and not under load, it rules out the deck and PTO issues for now.

It won't hurt to make sure the air filter is allowing air flow. Remove the outer filter and inner filter to double check. It would be very unlikely with such few hours, but at this point you are looking for issues.........Shine lights through the filters to check the air flow.

I have seen clear plastic packaging items sucked into air inlets or in one case, a new inner air filter was installed and the plastic bag not removed from the filter packaging. They put a new outer filter over it so when you looked without removing the outer filter, everything seemed fine.

I once found an air filter which had been so over-tightened in the housing when installed new it crushed the filter causing severe air flow restrictions.

Such things Seem very obvious, but things happen and people make mistakes.

Maybe something crawled in the air cleaner housing and is causing an obstruction through the little rubber flapped air inlet on the housing round opening? Trying to rule out sources of the issue so why not confirm the engine can all the air it needs......

Have you done anything or made any changes which could have pinched or restricted a fuel line?

What about any changes which could have pinched or impacted an electrical wire?

Are the battery terminals on tight and clean? (So low hours, they should be..)

Double check the ground......

Make sure someone didn't install the filter under the floorboard backwards (arrow for flow direction) or something isn't obstructing it.

All the basics first Fuel / Air / electric and the diesels don't need much electrical to run like a gas engine with coils, etc.
    Firemark likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Cover the basics before getting into the obscure......

Start simple and loosen the fuel cap to make sure its not a fuel system vent issue.........run it for awhile at varying RPMS with the cap loosened to make sure, but don't let anything get into the fuel.

Are there any fault codes in the dash?

Before you get into anything complex or expensive, I personally would drain the fuel tank, use a clean jug and get fuel at a different location, preferably where they sell a lot of diesel, like a truck stop. Try a different container of diesel treatment also, so you have all new fuel and all new treatment and make sure to run it long enough to burn the old fuel out of the system.

Diesel fuel can gets this waxy film on filters and components which is hard to see. I always screen all of my fuel just to be safe.

My money is on bad fuel.................hey, things happen.

Due to the issue happening both under PTO load and not under load, it rules out the deck and PTO issues for now.

It won't hurt to make sure the air filter is allowing air flow. Remove the outer filter and inner filter to double check. It would be very unlikely with such few hours, but at this point you are looking for issues.........Shine lights through the filters to check the air flow.

I have seen clear plastic packaging items sucked into air inlets or in one case, a new inner air filter was installed and the plastic bag not removed from the filter packaging. They put a new outer filter over it so when you looked without removing the outer filter, everything seemed fine.

I once found an air filter which had been so over-tightened in the housing when installed new it crushed the filter causing severe air flow restrictions.

Such things Seem very obvious, but things happen and people make mistakes.

Maybe something crawled in the air cleaner housing and is causing an obstruction through the little rubber flapped air inlet on the housing round opening? Trying to rule out sources of the issue so why not confirm the engine can all the air it needs......

Have you done anything or made any changes which could have pinched or restricted a fuel line?

What about any changes which could have pinched or impacted an electrical wire?

Are the battery terminals on tight and clean? (So low hours, they should be..)

Double check the ground......

Make sure someone didn't install the filter under the floorboard backwards (arrow for flow direction) or something isn't obstructing it.

All the basics first Fuel / Air / electric and the diesels don't need much electrical to run like a gas engine with coils, etc.

Some good ideas to check. Thanks, I'll try those. I haven't done anything different since last I mowed about a month ago. It's been a perfect machine until today.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    You say it is intermittent. This sounds like there something in the fuel tank that blocks the fuel port. Can you see the fuel filter when this happens?
    If the fuel port is getting partially blocked, the fuel level in the filter bowl will drop. Then when the RPMs drop enough, the bowl will fill back up & the cycle will start again.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast