Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Frozen Mud up in EVERYTHING!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 03:15 PM
    Thanks

Frozen Mud up in EVERYTHING!

So last week it was just above freezing and I needed to do some dirt work to prep for a cement slab. It was pretty wet/muddy, and then with the clay soil at just above freezing, it was... crazy. I even put my chains on my tires which really helped me gain traction, but something happened. I noticed my levers were getting jammed. And I saw that mud was being squeezed up through the lever slots (like the PTO and H/L range lever especially).

And now it's below freezing and it's all FROZEN mud, hard as a rock, jammed up into everywhere. My brake pedal won't even move, I have to break free my H/L lever every time I use it etc.... It's like my tractor fell in a vat of cement that hardened up into every crevice, and I can't just remove chunks etc.

Do you have any tips on how to get all of this out? Am I going to have to remove most of my plastic pieces around the levers and remove wheels and everything and somehow chisel it all out? I'm trying to warm it up in the garage now, but I'm afraid it'll just turn into a playdough consistency and still be a PAIN to try and get out of anything

I've attached some pics... bonus pic included!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20181129_100321.jpg 20181129_100340.jpg 20181129_094605.jpg
    glc, Gizmo2, North585 and 7 others like this.
    JD 1026r

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    After running a dozer in the woods in mud in freezing weather I got in the habit of cleaning any mud off at the end of the day so it wouldnít freeze overnight.

Get the tractor warm first and foremost - point a torpedo heater at it or something. Then itís just a lot of hand work with trowels, screwdrivers, and stuff like that. You likely will have to remove panels, fenders, and other stuff - no way around it.

Next time a good pressure washing when done at the end of the day will go a long way.
    glc, Levi, raco232 and 4 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah, I actually did try to power wash it. But 40~deg water, on 35~deg thick clay mud did almost nothing! I also ran out of time as it was getting too late and had to come inside. It was already oozed up through all the lever slots and everything at that point, so I honestly didn't even have access to power wash a lot of it.

I guess I will be removing all the wheels and a lot of fenders/panels etc today! Seems odd that it came all the way up through the panel that surrounds all the levers and stuff.
    glc, Levi, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    JD 1026r

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    I'd try pressure washing it with hot water, or rent a steam cleaner ... That would work for sure ...

G
    glc, North585, Levi and 6 others like this.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks
    Curious ... In your last picture ... Why are you holding your garage door opening up with your ROPS ?? ...

Was that a OOPS! moment? ...

G
    glc, Levi, jdmich and 4 others like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yeah I was thinking about somehow power washing with hot water... but not sure how to get that hooked up... My water heater is in basement across from garage area, and I don't have a hot water hookup anywhere else. Actually my washer is right there, I wonder if it's fitting is the same as a garden hose....

And yes, my garage was starting to lean so I thought I'd give it some extra support!

My wife comes out and I tell her "Don't worry. EVERY SINGLE GUY on this forum has done this, to every single garage door on their property, MULTIPLE times!!" Hahaha
    Last edited by mbowen89; 11-29-2018 at 09:49 AM.
    glc, Levi, jdmich and 5 others like this.
    JD 1026r

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about somehow power washing with hot water... but not sure how to get that hooked up... My water heater is in basement across from garage area, and I don't have a hot water hookup anywhere else. Actually my washer is right there, I wonder if it's fitting is the same as a garden hose....

And yes, my garage was starting to lean so I thought I'd give it some extra support!

My wife comes out and I tell her "Don't worry. EVERY SINGLE GUY on this forum has done this, to every single garage door on their property, MULTIPLE times!!" Hahaha
    Washing machine hook ups are the same as garden hose. You still might need that after you remove everything - then power wash with hot water. You will never get all the mud out of the small places by hand.
    glc, Levi, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,995 Times in 2,952 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbowen89 View Post
    I've attached some pics... bonus pic included!
    Levi, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 09:49 PM
    Thanks
    I’ve had the internal chains break on my tracked skid steer break many many times... and to remove the tracks you have to loosen the tension on rear sprocket. Of course it’s always packed with rock hard dirt. Anyways a screwdriver, pry bar and putty knife are always needed. If you can trailer it to a car wash after they use hot water and you can leave the mess there rather than mud and ice on the driveway
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Iíve had the internal chains break on my tracked skid steer break many many times... and to remove the tracks you have to loosen the tension on rear sprocket. Of course itís always packed with rock hard dirt. Anyways a screwdriver, pry bar and putty knife are always needed. If you can trailer it to a car wash after they use hot water and you can leave the mess there rather than mud and ice on the driveway
    That sure brings back memories. Three motocross bikes on the trailer and we would ALWAYS stop at a car wash to clean everything up on the way home after a race. I swear sometimes we left behind enough dirt and mud to construct a new race track. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast