Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Looking at a 1025r - I've got some questions

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your responses!
    I had pretty much convinced myself this was the tractor for us but now I am not so sure. I'm not sure that it isn't but I am going to follow the advice above and go to the dealer with the wife and drive both the 1025r and the 2032r they have there. Leaning towards passing on the backhoe as well, but not completely sure about that either. The ground clearance issue is, frankly, one I hadn't really thought of, thanks to all that pointed that out.
    So... about the property: It was a horse farm but we aren't going to have horses, we're looking at sheep so the pastures will be grazed and we will have some needs as far as moving hay & water. Although the property is 15 acres, there are probably only 4-5 acres that are pastures and will need to be bush hogged. There are woods, a creek, the house & lawn, and buildings on the rest. One of those buildings is a covered riding arena. There is also an outdoor arena. Though we don't have horses, we do ride in the arenas and it would be nice to be able to drag them. Some pictures:

The property:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farm.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	665300

The driveway:

Name:	drive.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	665302

The 'lawn':

Name:	lawn.jpg 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	665304

The furthest, highest (growth wise) pasture:

Name:	long_run_pasture.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	665306

The riding arenas:

Name:	outdoor_arena.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	665308

Name:	covered_arena.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	665310

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    You have gotten great advice from everyone. I would just be repeating their thoughts, so I’ll just add my experience with a 25 HP tractor. I have 8.5 acres very hilly terrain with about 4 acres of woods and 4 acres open grass and brush. My 2003 Kubota with 60” MMM and brush hog would totally bog down in high grass. I needed to cut the grass much more frequently that I preferred.It did not have enough power to cut while going up hill and spinning the blades. The MMM would cut but blade speed was drastically reduced. The brush hog would stall the tractor completely if I even attempted to climb a hill. The tractor would also overheat if cutting high grass for more than an hour despite constantly clearing out the radiator screen (cooling system was just replaced recently).Last year I traded it in for a 37 HP gas zero turn. With the extra HP I can cut thru 4’ grass on a hill like butter, no drop in engine speed and be done in half the time.

I am in the market for adding a tractor. I have looked at all families of tractors from JD. Based on my experience, 25 HP is too little power. I understand the desire to get the 1025R because the tractor plus all the implements is about $26,000-$28,000. But that’s still a lot when you get it and realize it that it lacks in performance of what you need. For me, I’m looking at getting the new 2032R. I only want to buy one tractor for all my needs into the future. The 2038R is about $2000 more. But totally equiped with all the bells and whistles and implements, you’re in the $36,000 range. (The backhoe cost $9000 compared to $7000 for 1025R). I like the 3 family but not the E. I would prefer the 3033R, but that exceeds what I want to spend.

So I understand your dilemma.I am just waiting for a tax return check. We also need to keep an eye on raising interest rates by the Fed. That may see JD not offering the 0% interest rate anymore. Good luck.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and horosho like this.

4. Top | #13

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    A great site to reference if you haven’t used yet is http://tractortimewithtim.com. He has been using an older 1025R for a few years. He has great videos and advice. He also has limitations in what his tractor can do. Some of these are lift height with FEL or forks and post hole auger. But he has done quite a lot with that 1025R. He has recently moved to a much larger flat property. So keep an eye on his videos.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Thanks
    Based on your pictures and descriptions, Id be looking at the 2025R, just for the ground clearance if nothing else, and maybe the 2032. Trouble is, the 2032 is a BIG jump in price.
    You gain a bit more capacity with the loader, and more PTO power, but with any tractor, since you mentioned stability, you will want rear wheel spacers.
    As to the backhoe purchase, well, I cant say Ive used mine a ton, but I can use it when I want, at my pace and schedule. I have projects I want to use it for, and quite a few things come up after the fact, much like owning a welder, where once you have it, you realize there are other things you can accomplish with it.
    If you have no plans for the use of one, skip it. If you think, even remotely, that you could put it to good use, get it with the tractor.
    This is another advantage of the smaller tractors. The 260B for my 2025 was about $5800 I believe.
    For the 3025E, its said to be about $7000, which should end up more like $6000 give or take, at the dealer.
    If you arent running a mid mower or front PTO driven implements, and arent space limited, the 3025E can be had for about the same price as the 2025R.

PTO power is subjective it seems.
    Some say the 25hp tractors dont have enough. Until recently, quite a few SCUT/CUTS were less than 25hp overall, and in the 16-18 PTO hp range. They seemed to get quite a bit done with them 20+ years ago.
    Today, quite a few members here are running 5' cutters on the 1025 and 2025, and they say they work just fine.
    Some say they are underpowered. Somewhere there is a difference, and likely in their use and the time one takes to get the job done, or how hard one pushes the implement. But then that applies to anything you will be using.
    This is also something to consider when reading all the advice on tractor size.
    A LOT of it is preference.
    If you dont mind spending more time working, smaller will get the job done just fine.
    If you want less time, sometimes bigger is better.
    Ive seen posts where people live in a residential neighborhood that have a 2038 to mow with. They use the loader maybe a couple times a year. No PTO driven implements. But they recommend their size tractor to anyone with a property their size or larger because thats what they bought. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you realize that the size doesnt always fit what you expect. Some guys just want the biggest they can get, and really, I think we all would, if we could afford it or if it fit in the areas we need them too.
    Back when my Grandfather bought his 110, then 312, then the 318 I now own, he had 2 acres. He could have put a SCUT to good use there. We got it all done and then some with the 318.
    In my case now, Im undersized quite a bit by some accounts. I personally dont think so though.
    Ive got 5.5 acres, wooded, and my neighbors have the same, so now my tractor gets used on 11 acres.
    My neighbor maintained his 5 acres with only a lawn tractor and a cart and a lot of hard work.
    I did that for 2 years. Trouble with that is the time it takes to clean up a tree. We couldnt keep up with the dead ones falling over unless we just cut them up and left them.
    I dont mow with mine. I have a zero turn for that.
    Now, instead of just maintaining what I had, I have the ability to improve the property as well.
    I can also fit down trails my neighbor made with his lawn tractor, and the trails I made with the 955 I used to have. There again, some guys like wider trails. I dont. More of that preference thing!
    With what I do, I see no benefit to a larger tractor. Eventually I will have a 54" tiller and a few other rear implements, but I dont see that as anything to worry about, as Ive seen plenty of videos of these little tractors running the same implements just fine. Even TTWTs videos, his 48" tiller, he is moving along at a pretty darn good clip (for tilling) in a few Ive seen.
    Im not dragging areas, except the driveway, but that takes almost no power relative to the other things being done.
    Im not yet bush hogging anything either, though I do have a 5' Deere cutter I picked up last Fall.
    I also dont have a tiller yet either, but will in the next year or so, as I have quite a bit of work that needs done with one.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 01-03-2019 at 09:02 AM.
    PJR832 and FortClatsop like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

horosho (01-03-2019)

8. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:35 PM
    Thanks
    Looking at pictures I had 2 additional thoughts
    A land plane would work better for driveway and arenas than boxblade
    Better to go bigger on tractor now than replacing one too small....not sure of budget but a higher hp 2 or 3 series would work well. And I would lean towards a 3
    Don’t be afraid of the used market...a lot of good tractors out there in all colors to be had w/ low hrs and great prices.
    If you want to stay away from def engines...and get a 30 hp machine.....plus some come with nice packages
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

9. Top | #16

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Lots of great advice here, I keyed on a few things. First, I would want large tires for clearance, smooth ride and stability (loaded). I would also want the height that large tires give and adequate 3pt hitch lift capacity to run a post hole digger as you will need it and the 1025r is barely up to the task. As for the power, PTO power of 25hp is desirable to use larger brush hogs, but 18hp will work.

On the backhoe question, you need one to dig drainage ditches, trench for utilities, repair foundations and scores of other things that will come up. A backhoe isn't an economic decision (cheaper to rent), but rather it provides the opportunity to fix small problems before they are big problems. I never rented an excavator or a backhoe because the jobs didn't seem important enough to spend the money on, but now that I have a backhoe, I wish I had bought one many years ago and I would have been much better off had I done so. It clearly would have paid for itself in problems solved or avoided.

I have a 1025r TLB, I am thinking that the new 2025r might have been a better idea for the larger tires, or perhaps the 3025e with the backhoe (I have yet to take the loader frame off of mine, so that limitation doesn't bother me at all). Anything larger for me is overkill both financially and practically.

I have two neighbors that have much more land and old tractors, the first I have known for going on 30 years, he has always had an old Ford (not certain the model, but post NAA) and it seems to do everything that he wants it to do and do so reliably (he has a horse farm and around 50 acres, bales hay, digs post holes and so forth), he is suffering tractor envy for my little 1025r.

The second neighbor assuaged his envy for my 1025r by buying a Ford 8n with a brush hog and back blade a few weeks ago for only $900 for the lot. I can see him upgrading this summer when he figures that it doesn't do all he needs it to, but he won't lose money. You might want to go down that path while you figure it all out.
    Jonathan

2016 1025R FITLB : OTC (winter only) : AF10F front blade : Titan 42" forks : 60" First Choice RFM : KK 48" Tiller : EA 60" Pine Straw Rake : 60" Landscape Rake : Pat's Hooks : HH w/ 12 42# weights : KK Ripper/Potato Plow : Loaded Rears with 50# weights : Ken's Hooks, springs and straps : HH Tooth Bar : Edge Tamers : BXPanded 6" bucket w/coupler
    2014 X320 : Johnny Plow/Johnny Bucket : Bagger

10. Top | #17
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 08:45 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinguidegun View Post
    Lots of great advice here, I keyed on a few things. First, I would want large tires for clearance, smooth ride and stability (loaded). I would also want the height that large tires give and adequate 3pt hitch lift capacity to run a post hole digger as you will need it and the 1025r is barely up to the task. As for the power, PTO power of 25hp is desirable to use larger brush hogs, but 18hp will work.

On the backhoe question, you need one to dig drainage ditches, trench for utilities, repair foundations and scores of other things that will come up. A backhoe isn't an economic decision (cheaper to rent), but rather it provides the opportunity to fix small problems before they are big problems. I never rented an excavator or a backhoe because the jobs didn't seem important enough to spend the money on, but now that I have a backhoe, I wish I had bought one many years ago and I would have been much better off had I done so. It clearly would have paid for itself in problems solved or avoided.

I have a 1025r TLB, I am thinking that the new 2025r might have been a better idea for the larger tires, or perhaps the 3025e with the backhoe (I have yet to take the loader frame off of mine, so that limitation doesn't bother me at all). Anything larger for me is overkill both financially and practically.

I have two neighbors that have much more land and old tractors, the first I have known for going on 30 years, he has always had an old Ford (not certain the model, but post NAA) and it seems to do everything that he wants it to do and do so reliably (he has a horse farm and around 50 acres, bales hay, digs post holes and so forth), he is suffering tractor envy for my little 1025r.

The second neighbor assuaged his envy for my 1025r by buying a Ford 8n with a brush hog and back blade a few weeks ago for only $900 for the lot. I can see him upgrading this summer when he figures that it doesn't do all he needs it to, but he won't lose money. You might want to go down that path while you figure it all out.
    These are the two things that bounce around My head. I do not regret the 1025R one bit for what I need, but 3 grand more for the 2025R, shoulda done it.
    2018 1025R FEL, filled tires, Imatch hitch, 54" snow blower, 60" front blade.

Frontier RB 5060 Blade
    Frontier BB 5060 Box Blade
    4' King Kutter Bush Hog
    5' King Kutter landscape rake
    Offset Heavy Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on hooks, Ken's diff lock pedal
    Ken's seat springs
    Artillian Grapple
    Artillian Plow/Blade quick hitch adapter

11. Top | #18
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by horosho View Post
    Thank you all for your responses!
    I had pretty much convinced myself this was the tractor for us but now I am not so sure. I'm not sure that it isn't but I am going to follow the advice above and go to the dealer with the wife and drive both the 1025r and the 2032r they have there. Leaning towards passing on the backhoe as well, but not completely sure about that either. The ground clearance issue is, frankly, one I hadn't really thought of, thanks to all that pointed that out.
    So... about the property: It was a horse farm but we aren't going to have horses, we're looking at sheep so the pastures will be grazed and we will have some needs as far as moving hay & water. Although the property is 15 acres, there are probably only 4-5 acres that are pastures and will need to be bush hogged. There are woods, a creek, the house & lawn, and buildings on the rest. One of those buildings is a covered riding arena. There is also an outdoor arena. Though we don't have horses, we do ride in the arenas and it would be nice to be able to drag them. Some pictures:

The property:

Name:	farm.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	279.5 KB 
ID:	665300

The driveway:

Name:	drive.jpg 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	665302

The 'lawn':

Name:	lawn.jpg 
Size:	319.0 KB 
ID:	665304

The furthest, highest (growth wise) pasture:

Name:	long_run_pasture.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	665306

The riding arenas:

Name:	outdoor_arena.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	366.7 KB 
ID:	665308

Name:	covered_arena.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	665310
    Now with You explaining the use for the Property I would also recommend a 2025R. For years I ran a X485/X748 on 5.5 acres of Property I looked at Sub and Compact tractor for use at that Property and They always seemed to get In my way as I has some areas where turning around with a Sub Compact and Loader it was Just to tight so I stayed with a Super Garden tractor with a Loader and I occasionally Borrowed a 4ft Brush cutter for it when needed . I have since Moved to a smaller 3.9 acre Property and Found I really wanted a Backhoe. So I first went with a 1025R and Found it Just didn't Fit My needs for some of the 3point equipment I wanted to Use. So in June 2018 I upgraded to a 2025R(GenII) which allowed me to use the equipment I wanted to Use. Because I also have 18 acres about 2 hrs west of where I live which I occasionally Brush Cut. I use to Borrow a Friend Tractor from out there(Simplicity Legacy XL with a 4ft Brush Cutter) so I didn't Have to transport My Tractors Back and Forth.

Now that I have the 2025R. It actually handles a 5ft Brush Cutter surprisingly well and really takes Care of those 18 acres (2.5 are usually under water do to Beaver Dams) . The reason I suggested a bigger tractor originally I was thinking of 15 open acres . But for Your Intended Use the 2025R could Handle Your Property Just fine without Being Over Kill or Under Kill Plus Your Going to have a Mowing crew(sheep) to keep your pastures Down. I Inherited a Sheep Farm Near Perth, Australia and the Gentleman that runs it says He Barely use's a Brush Cutter do to the Sheep

I Paid about $27,000 with Loader, Backhoe, 54inch deck with Independent Hydraulic deck Lift, Premium LED Light kit and a New Mid to Front PTO drive shaft & rim Guard filled rear Tires & dealer set Up costs. As I was Keeping the quick Hitch I had for the 1 series and I already had a Front Blade and Blower from My X748 that I could use on the 2025R as well.

I really like the width of the 2025R compared to the width of the 2032/2038R. The 2025R allows me to get into some tight areas on the Property where the 2032R I tested did Not Perform well

But really You just need to test them Out, See if You Can get a dealer to Bring a tractor or two out to Your Property to truly test Out. That is really the best way to find a tractor That meets Your Needs
    wentonbrown, PJR832 and horosho like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

12. Top | #19

Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks

I think you need a bigger tractor

My 2 cents says you are going to need something bigger. I have about 10 acres, half of which we cut grass, half is bush. The 1025r is a fantastic machine but as has been said before in this thread, it has its limitations. One of which is ground clearance, something that will become evident very quickly when you take it into rough terrain. My suggestion is to talk to your dealer and let him know what you have planned and how you are going to use your tractor. Ask if you can use someone else's trade-in for a short time to see if a 1025r is going to meet your expectations. Better if its fitted with a backhoe so you know what it's like to drive around the farm with a backhoe attached. I've never regretted buying the backhoe. Keep in mind that the backhoe won't always be on, you will have other implements attached at diffrent times. I'm thnking that he will be happy to help you out, especially because you are coming to him instead of someone else. I've always worked on the premise that a happy customer will tell a hundred people about his experience, and an unhappy one will tell everyone he meets.
    horosho likes this.

13. Top | #20

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    I'd go with a 2-series for all of the reasons mentioned above. It's big enough to get a little more done with it and still small enough that your wife should feel comfortable on it.
    fdmars and horosho like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast