Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Thoughts? Trading tractors.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks

Thoughts? Trading tractors.

I know this has been covered before some, but I'm trying to get advice/thoughts on my specific situation a little. My local dealer is offering a new 1025r with 120r loader and 60d auto connect deck for $15,790. I currently have a 2012 1023e with 250 hours. It has the h120 loader and 60d auto connect deck. It's in nearly new condition. I really like the machine and I don't NEED a new one, but I wouldn't mind having the 1025r's seat and extras plus the new warranty because the price seems like a really good one.

What I'm not about to do is get eaten alive on trade with my 1023. I don't really want to try to sell it myself because I'm not sure I could find a buyer. I'm curious where y'all think I should be trying to get the price to with my trade? I looked at machinefinder but there is nothing like what I have with my low hours that's not in Canada.
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:25 AM
    Thanks
    Sounds like a great price on a new 1025r!

A new 1023e with loader and 60" mower has a suggested list price of $18,932. With an 18% discount it would be priced around $15,524 new. On a side note, the 1025r with loader and 60" mower has a suggested list price of $20,809 (around $17,000 @ 18% off).

If you figure a 25% depreciation on your existing tractor based on the new 1023e tractor price, it would be worth $11,643 which seems to align with machines in your area listed on MachineryPete and TractorHouse. If that is approximately what the dealers are selling at, you can expect a lower trade-in price.

However, I'd recommend just talking to your dealer. Let them come back to you with a number and go from there.
    BigJim55, PJR832, Toughsox and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cottrillj View Post

What I'm not about to do is get eaten alive on trade with my 1023. I don't really want to try to sell it myself because I'm not sure I could find a buyer.
    You are 100% bang on with regard to your statement above. The dealer will wholesale you on your trade, and the alternative is of course to get a little better price and sell it privately, however the big caveat that comes with that is....if you can find a buyer for the price you expect.

We had one of our tractors for sale privately for well over 6 weeks this winter, and didn't get one bite. One of the problems that we faced was that our unit was only a year old and the price we realistically expected was a few thousand less than new, so potential buyers could not get 0% financing from us, and there aren't a lot of folks out there with $20 to $25,000 burning a hole in their pockets. Your tractor is 7 years old, so you may have better luck dealing privately, especially if you have a premium unit.

A lot of times the only way out is to give it (trade it) to a dealer and get your dream machine. As you well know that scenario has pitfalls all it's own. Depending on your specific dealer, as soon as you bring a trade into the mix, the price of the new machine may not be as lucrative as if you were doing a straight cash deal.

Either way, understand this..........just like in cards, the dealer always wins, cause the deck is stacked against you and he has the ace up his sleeve.
    But you already knew all this. You were just looking reaffirmation that you were right.

Good luck with your adventure, cause you'll need it.
    Gizmo2, Jep, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Trading in a perfectly good tractor that you like just to get a new seat?
    fdmars, PJR832, Sportshot2 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,254 Times in 2,561 Posts
    Here in TN, if you trade a machine in, you only pay tax on the difference. If you privately sell your tractor, you’ll have to pay tax on the entire purchase price. Here, sales tax being as high as it is, makes a big difference.
    Gizmo2, Jep, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    I would venture to guess most of us on here (GTT) have been eaten alive and spit out a few times over the years. It's not against the law and life is pretty darn short.
    If you are contemplating it now and don't do it now you'll more than likely do it later when new tractors are MORE $ and your tractor is worth LESS $. I've been there.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I would venture to guess most of us on here (GTT) have been eaten alive and spit out a few times over the years. It's not against the law and life is pretty darn short.
    If you are contemplating it now and don't do it now you'll more than likely do it later when new tractors are MORE $ and your tractor is worth LESS $. I've been there.
    Very true. That’s when the “want” overrides the “need”......
    Gizmo2, Jep and PJR832 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,895 Times in 2,871 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Very true. That’s when the “want” overrides the “need”......
    Very true and we all do it.
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 04-11-2019 at 07:01 AM.
    coaltrain, greenharley and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Vert true and we all do it.
    And I seem to get worse with it the older I get for some reason....

After living a life of frugality I want what I want now it seems.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 1,204 Posts
    This right here ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus sometimes people have to be reminded that for obvious reasons a dealer is not going to give "what the tractor is actually worth", they do have to resell it. They are in business to make money as well, or they simply would not be in business for very long if they were paying more than they can resell for.

But without talking to your dealer first all this thought and talk if for nothing, sometimes a dealer will surprise you, my dealer had my 1023 sold before they even picked it up from me the day they delivered my 2025R because they had a customer on a "want" list. Because of that they were also able to give me top trade they could offer, so talk to the dealer first, you just might be surprised.
    Gizmo2 and greenharley like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (04-11-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com