Purchased a Used 1025R - Hydraulic oil never changed - Extremely Worried
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Purchased a Used 1025R - Hydraulic oil never changed - Extremely Worried

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks

Purchased a Used 1025R - Hydraulic oil never changed - Extremely Worried

So as the title states I purchased a 2014 1025R a couple of weeks ago. I thought I was thorough before I bought it, I made sure everything worked properly and had the dealer provide me with the service records. There was a service record for 8/14 where the trans drain bolt was leaking. I guess the improper bolt was used from the factory, the trans was drained and the correct bolt installed. Fast forward to last weekend when I changed the engine oil, front axle oil, trans oil, air filters and greased everything to my horror the date written on the trans filter was 8/14!!!!!! The machine has 566 hours on it. The trans suction screen also had a good amount of shavings on it. The machine functions great, I am just really concerned permanent damage was done to the trans by leaving the same oil in it since 8/14. Is there anything I can do to trial the machines trans to make any issues come to light? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    SulleyBear and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,398 Times in 2,635 Posts
    Don't sweat it. You did the right thing.

Was the oil that came out clean and clear?
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Since it functions great I would not be too worried. Sounds like it missed the first trans oil change. I have not checked, but service interval might be 500 hours.

I agree almost 5 years is a long time, but at least you are notway over in hours.

Did the service record give the hours for the drain/fill and drain bolt replacement? I assume the date is what was on the filter.
    DRobinson, rtgt, jdforever and 5 others like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:23 PM
    Thanks
    I could be wrong, but, I think we worry a little too much about changing the trans fluid. If a quality filter is in place, the magnetic suction screen has shavings and the fluid is clear an clean, then the filter and screen are doing their job.

Since your tractor appears to be working properly, service it now and don't worry about it.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,303 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    I could be wrong, but, I think we worry a little too much about changing the trans fluid. If a quality filter is in place, the magnetic suction screen has shavings and the fluid is clear an clean, then the filter and screen are doing their job.

Since your tractor appears to be working properly, service it now and don't worry about it.
    I agree. There is no question most of us are changing it as a precautionary move rather than getting every last hour of usefulness out of the fluid. Every time I have changed hydraulic fluid on my 2720 and X500 the fluid was clear as water with no visible particles or debris.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 03:16 PM
    Thanks
    Your worries are unfounded.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Thanks

Maybe.....

Maybe.... When the drain bolt was replaced to eliminate the leak, the tech could have drained the transmission to do this and replaced the fluid and filter at that time. While the fluid is out, you might as well check the screen and magnet and clean them. There might be people quick enough to change out the bolts and not lose much fluid, but I'd want to look over the threads and make sure I understood the problem. You can't do that with the fluid coming out.

You said there was a date marked on the filter. Was it written on there or stamped on there? If stamped, it is likely the date of manufacture and not the date of installation. You don't know how long it sat on the shelf and really when it was installed. If it is written on there, who would have written it on there? I've never heard of the manufacturing line tech writing the date of installation on a filter.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 12:09 AM
    Thanks
    Run a fluid sample test on your old oil when you change it, they cost around $15. You can also cut your old spin on filter open and see what is inside.

If the oil is clean ,clear and doesn't smell burnt, then you are fine.
    keane and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 AM
    Thanks
    People on here worry about oil changes and such a bit more I suspect than most. Of course I am not on any car forums but I maintain them as well. I will bet a good number of them out there never see a hydraulic oil change in 10 years.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 08:17 AM
    Thanks

The oil was clean that came out. The service record indicates that the trans was drained when they replaced the bolt on 8/14. The 8/14 written on the filter was in sharpie. So the oil and filter had over 500 hours on it. Unfortunately I drained the front axle oil into the same container so I cant send it out fro analysis. I guess as long as everything works properly I am ok. It is just worrisome.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast