Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: 1025R mowing with filled tires and wheel weights

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks

1025R mowing with filled tires and wheel weights

I’ve been reading lots about wheel weights and fluid filled tires. I’m looking or some input from folks that have been mowing with both.

Because I bought a FEL my dealer requires the tires be filled with calcium ( not my favorite) so I have approximately 100lbs in each tire. Mowing a few hilly areas I want to keep the tractor shiny side up I was thinking to add 72lbs wheel weights.

Dealer said I won’t need them. Anyone have thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Thanks
    I think the wheel weights and filled tires are pretty much good for everything, no down side other than parting ways with sweet sweet cash. No difference in rutting the lawn (usually the front tires causing the issue, at least in my case) and I noticed a real difference in stability with fluid and weights added.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooff360 View Post
    I’ve been reading lots about wheel weights and fluid filled tires. I’m looking or some input from folks that have been mowing with both.

Because I bought a FEL my dealer requires the tires be filled with calcium ( not my favorite) so I have approximately 100lbs in each tire. Mowing a few hilly areas I want to keep the tractor shiny side up I was thinking to add 72lbs wheel weights.

The dealer required that the tires be filled with calcium? That's a new one. The manual says that you can use fluid filled tires (not limited to calcium) or you can use wheel weights or a combination of both. But... more importantly... the 120R loader requires the use of 3PH ballast which is usually satisfied with a ballast box. Did the dealer also require that you purchase a ballast box?
    Tomfive, rtgt, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Iíve been reading lots about wheel weights and fluid filled tires. Iím looking or some input from folks that have been mowing with both.

Dealer said I wonít need them. Anyone have thoughts?
    Did the dealer load your tires for free? If the dealer is making those stipulations i would hope so. I have windshield wash in my tires wheel weights and i find the tractor works best with 450 lbs hanging on the 3 pt.if i don't have a impliment on back. Get the wheel weights. Kent
    rtgt, PJR832 and Dr Kubar like this.
    Kent

JD1025R and 455
    120R loader with Kens Bolt on hooks and Edge tammers
    Wheel weights
    60D auto connect MMM
    JD 25 gal tow behind sprayer
    JD tow behind fertilizer spreader
    Home made pallet forks
    Home made 3 pt A frame with suitcase weight bracket and trailer hitch
    48 inch Taylor Way tiller
    Cub Cadet s: 1772,1872, 1806, 1050, 128, 100,and Original 33914.
    Big tractors: IH 1066 with 2350 loader, Farmall M, Universal or Long 350.
    Chainsaws: Husqvarna 2-XP357's, XP254,and a 51

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:51 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Don't think that the fluid filled tires eliminate the need for proper rear 3 point ballast, especially with the FEL on the machine, as they don't. You need much more weight on the rear of the machine to provide proper ballast. The addition of the rear wheel weights alone won't meet the need for proper ballast when using the FEL.

I was moving top soil yesterday for a neighbor and even with a 48" box blade on the back of the machine for ballast (which is 350 pounds including the use of the Imatch hitch), the rear of the machine would get light lifting the buckets of top soil. My tractor also has the Mauser cab, which adds 400 pounds to the rear of the machine.

So make sure you also have either a real ballast box, a rear mounted HEAVY implement, the Heavy Hitch weight bar with suitcase weights or something which will add the proper rear ballast for the machine.

Personally, I would suggest the Heavy Hitch rear 3 point weight bar so you can easily remove the weight when mowing. I think the weight of the ballast on the 3 point hitch better serves the needs and also is easy to remove.

Most people don't like to mow lawns with the FEL on the machine due to turning space, etc. Plus, removing the weight from the machine helps cut down the ruts in the lawn when mowing. I would want to be able to remove the ballast when mowing with the FEL removed from the machine. Removing the wheel weights is not an easy or practical option compared to the Heavy Hitch 3 point weight bar and suitcase weights or a ballast box.
    Tomfive, rtgt, kylew and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Thanks
    My rear wheels rip up my lawn pretty badly unless i am very careful. Removing the wheel weights helped. I would not want my tires filled. Standard disclaimer, by lawn is usually quite damp - i do not think i would have the issue on a dry lawn.
    rtgt and keane like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    When people say use a ballast box with a front end loader (FEL) I hope that it is understood by everyone that forks and grapples also require the ballast box!
    rtgt, Oscar Leroy and kylew like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018 ~ works like a dream

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 AM
    Thanks

Tires

Just posting my opinion if you are tearing up the yard with R4s.

I put HDAPs on before the mowing season and have had zero issues tearing up the lawn even in 2wd up hills. It has been really wet as well so far this year.

Last fall when I got my 1025 with the R4s, I was constantly spinning out and had to be careful on the smallest incline. HDAPs ride and handle so much better.

One note, you can try running your rears at 10-12 psi. That will put more tread contact to the ground and maybe cause less slippage.
    rtgt and keane like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

The dealer required that the tires be filled with calcium? That's a new one. The manual says that you can use fluid filled tires (not limited to calcium) or you can use wheel weights or a combination of both. But... more importantly... the 120R loader requires the use of 3PH ballast which is usually satisfied with a ballast box. Did the dealer also require that you purchase a ballast box?

No they did not require I purchase a ballast box. He said the filled tires would be all I need, I know from reading lots on here that is most likely not the case. I would like to add a heavy hitch but am concerned about shipping cost as I’m in. B.C. Canada. I need to look into that more.

But dealer also talked me out of buying the wheels weights. My previous mowing experience was on an X300 so I’m not totally comfortable on the 1025R yet. I didn’t feel like I was in a bad situation mowing the other day but want to feel good and stable but not wreck all the grass I’m mowing.

I will contact dealer today about the 120r specs and ballast questions
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,088 Posts
    No they did not require I purchase a ballast box. He said the filled tires would be all I need, I know from reading lots on here that is most likely not the case. I would like to add a heavy hitch but am concerned about shipping cost as Iím in. B.C. Canada. I need to look into that more.

But dealer also talked me out of buying the wheels weights. My previous mowing experience was on an X300 so Iím not totally comfortable on the 1025R yet. I didnít feel like I was in a bad situation mowing the other day but want to feel good and stable but not wreck all the grass Iím mowing.

I will contact dealer today about the 120r specs and ballast questions
    First off, if your dealer is telling you that loaded rears are all you'll need well, he shouldn't be selling tractors.

Second, if you buy the HH weight bracket, do yourself a HUGE favor and also purchase the hitch/suitcase weight cart. From my experience they should come together, I will get that one day, until then I find myself not using it much because it's a PITA to put the weights on and off every use.
    DRobinson, jgayman, rtgt and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & Rotary Cutter, middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast