Thread: random loss of torgue

1. Top | #1
    lsg

Last Online
    04-25-2019 @ 02:35 AM
    Thanks

random loss of torgue

Hey guys got a question...

I was doing some work with my 1025R yesterday and had just replaced the loader with my forks, I backed up and got off to put the pins in, when I got back on and put it in gear I hear a loud "ping" as I accelorated... sounded like metal breaking... got off and checked to see if I could see anything broke but nothing stood out. When I got back on the tractor it took off fine but when I got to a small incline it lost all troque and would not go forward. I backed up and then went forward again and it was fine.
    Little while later going up a larger incline I crossed a small ditch and it stuck in the ditch and would not move forward, again I backed up a hair and then it advanced forward and up the hill without any issues.
    I noticed a couple of times it felt like it slipped when I accelerated but didn't get stuck again.

Motor sounded fine and didn't seem to have an issue, seemed to be in the gears or tranny...

Any idea what that loud "ping" was that would cause this kind of issue?
    Last edited by lsg; 04-24-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    JD4044M likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:40 PM
    Thanks
    Small fuel filter under the the left floor board. That's where I would start.
    wildbranch2007 and JD4044M like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:21 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lsg View Post

I was doing some work with my 1025R yesterday and had just replaced the loader with my forks, I backed up and got off to put the pins in, when I got back on and put it in gear I hear a loud "ping" as I accelorated... sounded like metal breaking... got off and checked to see if I could see anything broke but nothing stood out. When I got back on the tractor it took off fine but when I got to a small incline it lost all troque and would not go forward. I backed up and then went forward again and it was fine.
    Little while later going up a larger incline I crossed a small ditch and it stuck in the ditch and would not move forward, again I backed up a hair and then it advanced forward and up the hill without any issues.
    I noticed a couple of times it felt like it slipped when I accelerated but didn't get stuck again.

Motor sounded fine and didn't seem to have an issue, seemed to be in the gears or tranny...

Do the forward or reverse pedals feel any diffrent? If so there's something that looks like a chrome shock absorber under the panel below the seat. If it has come apart or been damaged the pedals will feel a little spongy and then linkage will separate and the tractor won't move. The 'ping' may have been that 'shock absorber' coming apart.
    kylew and JD4044M like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    12-04-2019 @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks
    Did it pop into high gear?

2018 - 1025R
    120R, 54SB, iMatch, BB5060L, RB5060L, AP10F
    2018 Z930M
    keane likes this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 12:22 AM
    Thanks
    Are you using the diff lock?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    keane, wildbranch2007 and JD4044M like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Thanks
    OK just going by what you said maybe a ring gear lost a tooth in the differential? To me would be why it works and does not and the loud ping you heard.
    keane likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    Not sure about the ping but there has been a rash of guys with fluid filled tires without enough air pressure lately. When you stop on the incline are your rims spinning in the tires?
    Last edited by Herminator; 04-24-2019 at 10:37 PM.
    ChrisR, arlen, Ray_PA and 3 others like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Not sure about the ping but there has been a rash of guys with fluid filled tires without enough air pressure lately. When you stop on the incline are your rims spinning in the tires?
    Easy to check put a mark on the rim and tire in the same place operate then check.
    ChrisR, theduke and Herminator like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lsg View Post

Was it in 4wd engaged during this time?

If not, check the rear tire pressure.

(Herminator & JD4044M beet me to it.)
    Last edited by ChrisR; 04-24-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

12. Top | #10
    lsg

Last Online
    04-25-2019 @ 02:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NotYourGrandfathersDeere View Post
    Do the forward or reverse pedals feel any diffrent? If so there's something that looks like a chrome shock absorber under the panel below the seat. If it has come apart or been damaged the pedals will feel a little spongy and then linkage will separate and the tractor won't move. The 'ping' may have been that 'shock absorber' coming apart.
    I really didn't notice the pedals feeling any different but I will check that out.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMulcher View Post
    Did it pop into high gear?

2018 - 1025R
    120R, 54SB, iMatch, BB5060L, RB5060L, AP10F
    2018 Z930M
    stayed in low
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    Are you using the diff lock?

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    I wasn't using it at the time, I did use it once it was on the steaper slope.
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    OK just going by what you said maybe a ring gear lost a tooth in the differential? To me would be why it works and does not and the loud ping you heard.
    This is what I was thinking as well... I could see it sliping but I wasn't sure if a broke tooth would prevent it from moving all together...
    It would explain why rocking it back then forward seem to get it going again...

I worked with it some this afternoon and did not notice it slipping, kind of weird... but I did hear the loud "ping" yesterday so something either broke or slipped.

I assume that a ring gear would be covered under warranty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    No spinning.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    Was it in 4wd engaged during this time?

If not, check the rear tire pressure.

(Herminator & JD4044M beet me to it.)
    it was in 4wd at the time.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast