Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: new fuel filter 1026R, now starting trouble

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-13-2019 @ 10:21 PM
    Thanks

new fuel filter 1026R, now starting trouble

So I changed the oil, put in new air filter and new fuel filter. now every cold start it cranks over quickly but runs really rough for about 10 seconds then smooths out like it is not getting fuel.
    Every start after that is quick and smooth. just a cold start issue. This is the first time I ever replaced the fuel filter but it seemed pretty straight forward. Any idea what it might be?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    A bad glow plug.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    keane likes this.
    '11 1026R

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    A bad glow plug.

but it was starting fine before. are you saying the glow plug just happened to go bad at the same time? Not doubting your advice, just don't see the relationship.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    If you have put the engine under load after switching the fuel filter, and it does not stumble, there is nothing wrong with your fuel supply.

Gizmo2, keane and wildbranch2007 like this.
    '11 1026R

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XSKIER View Post
    If you have put the engine under load after switching the fuel filter, and it does not stumble, there is nothing wrong with your fuel supply.

ok thanks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    So I changed the oil, put in new air filter and new fuel filter. now every cold start it cranks over quickly but runs really rough for about 10 seconds then smooths out like it is not getting fuel.
    Every start after that is quick and smooth. just a cold start issue. This is the first time I ever replaced the fuel filter but it seemed pretty straight forward. Any idea what it might be?
    I got my tractor used about a year & a half ago and put 200 hrs on it since. Don't know if it's normal or not, but mine's always done that at cold start. The colder, the more coughing, but usually no more than about 5 seconds, but that was when it was really cold out and before I installed a block heater.

Yesterday at 50į it coughed about 3 times, in about 1-1.5 seconds (no block heater). Drove it from the barn to the garage and changed the under floor filter, but not the primary on the side of the engine. It started fine after I was done. I noticed mine's more apt to do it when it sits over night. I don't know if it's an injector leaking down or a glow plug issue, or if it's 'normal'. Curious to hear what others say.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 2,343 Posts
    You are correct in assuming the stumbling is related to the recent fuel filter change. You always look back at what was most recently done when diagnosing something like this.

I donít believe in coincidences such as your glow plugs are suddenly not working properly....

When you changed the fuel filter - I am assuming it is the small filter under the fender on the 1 series - you may have nicked a fuel line and now the engine is sucking air briefly when starting. It can be a small enough nick where it wonít leak fuel but will suck air in under pressure.

Best thing to do is remove the filter again and take a very close look at the lines at the filter. Also if a clamp isnít installed just right it can cause the same symptoms.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    You are correct in assuming the stumbling is related to the recent fuel filter change. You always look back at what was most recently done when diagnosing something like this.

I donít believe in coincidences such as your glow plugs are suddenly not working properly....

When you changed the fuel filter - I am assuming it is the small filter under the fender on the 1 series - you may have nicked a fuel line and now the engine is sucking air briefly when starting. It can be a small enough nick where it wonít leak fuel but will suck air in under pressure.

Best thing to do is remove the filter again and take a very close look at the lines at the filter. Also if a clamp isnít installed just right it can cause the same symptoms.
    I was going to remove the filter again this morning and make sure something like this had not happened. I am pretty convinced it has something to do with the filter since it was fine before.

Thanks for the response.
    coaltrain likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    I got my tractor used about a year & a half ago and put 200 hrs on it since. Don't know if it's normal or not, but mine's always done that at cold start. The colder, the more coughing, but usually no more than about 5 seconds, but that was when it was really cold out and before I installed a block heater.

Yesterday at 50į it coughed about 3 times, in about 1-1.5 seconds (no block heater). Drove it from the barn to the garage and changed the under floor filter, but not the primary on the side of the engine. It started fine after I was done. I noticed mine's more apt to do it when it sits over night. I don't know if it's an injector leaking down or a glow plug issue, or if it's 'normal'. Curious to hear what others say.
    Mine had 100 hours on it when I bought it. I too have put over 200 more on it. It never started rough though until after the filter replacement. I will let you know if I find anything.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-05-2019 @ 07:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    I was going to remove the filter again this morning and make sure something like this had not happened. I am pretty convinced it has something to do with the filter since it was fine before.

Thanks for the response.
    Any chance its on in the wrong direction...I have no idea if that would cause an issue...Tho they are directional.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Dave's 2012 1026R TLB,54"MMM Auto Attach,Ken's hooks&clevis,Artillian 36' Forks and a KennyPedal WH 520H 48" Snow Blade,48" Deck379 Peterbuilt (3 Million Miles in a big truck)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to chex313 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2†(05-05-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast