Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: 1025r post hole digger use?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks

1025r post hole digger use?

Anyone using a post hole digger on a 1025r? I need to dig some 10 inch holes and wonder if the little guy is up to the job
    Oscar Leroy likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Yup, it works ok. I have drilled at least 100 holes (no exaggeration) with my Frontier PHD100. There are two schools of thought for using the phd on these little guys. I prefer to go full 540 PTO RPM and when I hear the engine start to bog and I will pull up on the phd so it doesn't screw itself into the ground. Others like to go slow and pull out when they start to bog, I've heard the slower method works better in rocky soils. The main problem is the auger likes to screw into the ground and the tractor doesn't have the power to pull the auger out of the ground or keep the auger from the pulling the tractor down. I have screwed the auger into the ground and have had to use a bigazz pipe wrench to unscrew the auger.
    Last edited by mopeman; 05-17-2019 at 02:52 AM.
    chex313, rtgt, OxPath and 7 others like this.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks
    I have a PHD100 as well, I use it frequently with a 12 inch auger. I have used it with a 9 inch auger as well, but in my soil, the 12 inch one works so much better. It seemed like the 9 inch one was prone to breaking shear bolts in my hard soil.

How well it works really depends on your soil. We have lots of clay, and sometimes it doesn't want to dig down it just sits there spinning on top of the soil. I rarely have the problem of it digging faster than I can control. I am mostly in the "dig at idle" camp. I do vary the throttle settings as I dig, though , sometimes faster does seem to work better.

Just a couple of suggestions. Keep plenty of shear bolts on hand. Clear the hole out as you go by lifting the auger slightly every now and then. And keep the cutting edges and tip clear of roots, vegetation, etc.

When it works as it should, it's really nice to dig a 3 foot deep hole in less than a minute.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Oscar Leroy For This Useful Post:

chex313 (05-17-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,183 Times in 1,230 Posts
    Is the 3 point PHD for the category 1 3ph on the 1 series a specific unit due to the limited lift height?

Am I correct that just any 3ph post hole auger won't work on the 1 series due to the lift height?

What about the angle of the PTO driveshaft? It would seem to be rather extreme at the auger digging starting position or when lifted out of the ground due to the length of the 3ph arms, is this correct?

Also, for those who have purchased a PHD for the 1 series machines, what is the cost for the unit with the PTO shaft and roughly how much are the augers each?

Is there a "common sized auger" based upon this machines HP, lift height, etc?

The holes I need to dig are going to be 9" to 12" in diameter and 30" to 36" deep as I need to use the cardboard cement tube to form a pole base with a curb which sticks up at least 9" to keep the lawn mower and grass trimmer cowboys and cow girls from damaging the bases of these posts as they are quite $$$......($600+ per post with all the die cast base covers, architectural detail, brackets, finials, etc.)..

Thanks for the details, since this is on the topic of 3ph post hole diggers, I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding some of my questions to their thread................thanks to all who reply.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    Yup, it works ok. I have drilled at least 100 holes (no exaggeration) with my Frontier PHD100. There are two schools of thought for using the phd on these little guys. I prefer to go full 540 PTO RPM and when I hear the engine start to bog and I will pull up on the phd so it doesn't screw itself into the ground. Others like to go slow and pull out when they start to bog, I've heard the slower method works better in rocky soils. The main problem is the auger likes to screw into the ground and the tractor doesn't have the power to pull the auger out of the ground or keep the auger from the pulling the tractor down. I have screwed the auger into the ground and have had to use a bigazz pipe wrench to unscrew the auger.
    I was working part time at a YMCA camp. They had a JD 4310. I came in one morning and the boss said take a shovel and go dig out the post hole digger. He had left it stuck in the ground. Instead, I took the tractor, chain and 36" pipe wrench. I used the loader and chain to put "lift" on the PHD, and the pipe wrench to unscrew it.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Is the 3 point PHD for the category 1 3ph on the 1 series a specific unit due to the limited lift height?

Am I correct that just any 3ph post hole auger won't work on the 1 series due to the lift height?

What about the angle of the PTO driveshaft? It would seem to be rather extreme at the auger digging starting position or when lifted out of the ground due to the length of the 3ph arms, is this correct?

Also, for those who have purchased a PHD for the 1 series machines, what is the cost for the unit with the PTO shaft and roughly how much are the augers each?

The holes I need to dig are going to be 9" to 12" in diameter and 30" to 36" deep as I need to use the cardboard cement tube to form a pole base with a curb which sticks up at least 9" to keep the lawn mower and grass trimmer cowboys and cow girls from damaging the bases of these posts as they are quite $$$......($600+ per post with all the die cast base covers, architectural detail, brackets, finials, etc.)..

Thanks for the details, since this is on the topic of 3ph post hole diggers, I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding some of my questions to their thread................thanks to all who reply.
    How many holes do you need to dig? It might be cheaper to pay a contractor to dig them or rent a PHD. When I built my pole barn, I rented a PHD for the day used the 2030. I did have to buy an extension for the auger to get deep enough to meet code for frost in my area. IIRC I used an 18" auger

30" to 36" does not sound deep enough to me?
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:09 AM
    Thanks

SB, while the PHD100 is specifically made for the 1 series' limited cat 1 3ph, there are plenty of people using regular cat 1 PHD's, for example the County Line brand PHD from Tractor Supply. The PHD100 is considerably more expensive than the ones from TSC, as are the augers. I bought mine the same time I got my 1025r and just rolled it into the 0% financing. I don't remember how much I paid, but the County Line ones at my TSC seems to be about $550 without auger. The auger price depends on size, but at my TSC, it looks like a 6" is $140ish while a 12" is $180ish.

The Frontier augers are shorter than than ones from TS by about 6 inches, I think, but from what I hear, I believe people are using the TS augers successfully. The ones specifically for the PHD100 are 36 inches long, the TSC ones were 42 inches if I"m not mistaken. They do seem to be interchangeable in shaft size and bolt pattern, but that's just hearsay. I have very uneven ground and frequently end up dragging my auger on the ground every now and then, even though it is shorter than the TSC ones. The auger sizes from Frontier for the PHD100 are 6", 9" and 12". I don't believe they make them any bigger for the PHD100s. I'm not sure what sizes are available from other vendors or what the maximum reasonable size would be. I suspect 12" is about as big as I would try, but...

OxPath, SulleyBear, kylew and 1 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Oscar Leroy For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (05-20-2019)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks

Yes the PHD is for the 1025, and others should fit. I have the 9 and 12 inch diameter, 36 inch long augers that I bought from Tractor Supply while they were on sale, I couldn't bring myself to pay what JD wanted for theirs. My PHD has a round 2 inch output which is very common, so finding augers isn't an issue. The only issue with buying augers is the length, my 1025 has to tiptoe around while one is installed, as the lift is just barely enough to keep it from dragging.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20180619_105834.jpg  
    OxPath, BigJim55, keane and 3 others like this.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mopeman For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (05-20-2019)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:00 PM
    Thanks
    I have seen alot of people break their cast top link on the 1025r from using Post Hole Diggers. Not sure if it was user error or JD design. I was looking at this one: Compact Tractor 3 Point Post Hole Digger
    keane and SulleyBear like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Printed Pedal Covers / 3D Differential Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Ken's Bolt-on Hooks for Loader Bucket / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    we pretty much power drive most fence type posts these days........but i did drag out the old PHD this last week to dig some holes for a pole type equipment shed ..

we had a lot of moisture in the ground which made it very nice digging.....we have top soil...sometimes rocks....and clay soils

we drill them with our smallest tractor dont want to overpower the auger and it is easier to position ......
    we go very slow..going slow and letting it turn a lot will either remove rocks or work them into the wall of the hole ...going fast the auger grabs and schears pins

i run my old auger at idle rpms...and control the height all the way down....very slow ...not in a hurry at all...

if we need to dig anything above 12" i just borrow or rent a hydraulic unit for my skidsteer......if we need deep holes we hire it done by a truck mounted rig

a 1025r should be just fine just dont get in a hurry
    Last edited by ttazzman; 05-18-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Zebrafive and SulleyBear like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast