Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 1023e loses power when mowing

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-18-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

1023e loses power when mowing

I bought a used 1023e w/ 60" mowing deck last year. when using for first time after about 20 minutes the engine bogged down and would hardly move. turned off PTO and ran fine. I rechecked hydraulic level and it was way over full and foamy. WATER! drained the system replaced filter and cleaned suction screen. it then took about an hour before it lost power. drained and replaced everything again... and once again. no evidence of water but I couldn't run mower for more than about an hour. took it to dealer, they could find n problem. still having the same problem. sometimes I can't get an hour before it starts losing power. I have about 9 acres to mow. I can't do it an hour at a time. I have performed all services recommended. any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    If the engine is losing rpms then it is likely a fuel issue not a hydraulic issue. Change the fuel filters. Especially the inline filter under left floor board next to fuel tank outlet. The oil will look foamy and overfull if you checked it right after running it.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
    etcallhome, ejb69, kylew and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Thanks

filters

Check your fuel filters, there are two. The small one under the floorboard has caused similar problems for others. Check the air filter, too.
    etcallhome, kylew and JD4044M like this.
    1025r, H120, 54" snowblower, 60D MMM, 48" Woods BB, KK subsoiler & 48" brush hog, Curtis cab

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    there was defiantly water. the RPM's went back up as soon as I turned PTO off. I changed all filters, except under floorboard, didn't know about that one. will do that next. thanks!!
    etcallhome and JD4044M like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-29-2019 @ 05:51 PM
    Thanks
    I believe the one under the left floor board is the one that usually gets dirty first and causes issues like you're having. After the tractor has sat for a day, does it still look like water in the oil?
    etcallhome and JD4044M like this.
    Tractor Info: 2018 1025r (01/18/2019) / 120R FEL 53" Bucket / 260B BH with 16" Bucket / 60" MMM with AC / R4 Tires
    Upgrades: RimGuard in Rear Tires / 16" BackHoe Bucket / Engine Block Heater / JD Seat Cover / 3D Pedal Covers / 3D Diff Pedal / HH WT Bracket / 5' Rear Blade / CountyLine 4' RT4 Tiller / JD Ballast Box / HLA 36" Forks / RanchEx 3pt Quick Hitch / BXpanded 6", Ripper, BH Thumb, QA / LoadNGo /
    Planned Upgrades: Edge Tamers / Bolt-on Hooks / HH Rear Receiver Hitch Plate / HH Toothbar

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:44 AM
    Thanks
    took it to dealer, they could find n problem. still having the same problem. [/QUOTE]

Are you saying the dealer didn’t even change or suggest changing all of the filters(fuel, hyd and air)?

WOW! What piss poor mechanics!
    glc, etcallhome and JD4044M like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    replaced filter under floor board and mowed for an hour before rain stopped me. Ran fine!! will have to finishing mowing tomorrow to be sure but it seems as this was the fix.

i replaced the hydro fluid and filters 3 times and now have no signs of water.

yes, piss pour mechanics at this dealer. have had other issues in the past. I also have a 4310 compact tractor and 1445 front mower. have never needed take tractor in, bought it new and maintained myself. the 1445 was bought used and has had some issues. dealer wanted to replace un necessary parts to fix no existent problems.

after i mow tomorrow, I will update if all is still well.

Thanks again for enlightening me to the second filter. BTW - it was nasty, sure it had to be the problem.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,496 Times in 1,608 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grwithrow View Post
    replaced filter under floor board and mowed for an hour before rain stopped me. Ran fine!! will have to finishing mowing tomorrow to be sure but it seems as this was the fix.

i replaced the hydro fluid and filters 3 times and now have no signs of water.

yes, piss pour mechanics at this dealer. have had other issues in the past. I also have a 4310 compact tractor and 1445 front mower. have never needed take tractor in, bought it new and maintained myself. the 1445 was bought used and has had some issues. dealer wanted to replace un necessary parts to fix no existent problems.

after i mow tomorrow, I will update if all is still well.

Thanks again for enlightening me to the second filter. BTW - it was nasty, sure it had to be the problem.

If it was nasty , sounds like you found your problem.

I believe I would take the fuel filter into the shop foreman and show him the great work his mechanics didn't do....

Really PISS POUR service.

The baby filter is the first thing to change when you have loss of power . I change mine at least once a year, and usually keep 3 or 4 of the baby filters setting on my shelf.
    raco232 and JD4044M like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    To be fair.. As a Deere tech, we don't always get the correct info. The techs work order may have said. . runs and cuts off. Ok.. So I set it outside and run it for an hour.. No failure. I drive it around.. No failure. Some some will say.. Can not duplicate customer concern.
    Somewhere, maybe.. The correct info given by the customer thru the service writer to the tech was corrupted. So tech got bad info. Happens all the time.
    If the work order would have said while mowing for an hour engine bogs down when going up hill. Engines burn more fuel at load. They may run at wide open all day but run at load and it falls on its azz. If the dealership has no area to cut and no dyno.. What do ya do?
    On the flip side of that the tech, once they couldn't duplicate, should have investigated further or asked for more info.
    As a seasoned tech whenever I see a diesel engine that wont perform I always go for fuel. 99.9% its the crappy fuel or filters. I can check flow...I can check pressures but first I change and inspect filters along with a fuel sample.
    Doesn't mean the person is a pizz poor mechanic/tech. It may mean they work for a dealer that doesn't have the infrastructure in place. Not condoning crappy diag...that sux.. Hate part changers. Just saying.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xcopterdoc For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (05-19-2019), JD4044M (05-18-2019)

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xcopterdoc View Post
    To be fair.. As a Deere tech, we don't always get the correct info. The techs work order may have said. . runs and cuts off. Ok.. So I set it outside and run it for an hour.. No failure. I drive it around.. No failure. Some some will say.. Can not duplicate customer concern.
    Somewhere, maybe.. The correct info given by the customer thru the service writer to the tech was corrupted. So tech got bad info. Happens all the time.
    If the work order would have said while mowing for an hour engine bogs down when going up hill. Engines burn more fuel at load. They may run at wide open all day but run at load and it falls on its azz. If the dealership has no area to cut and no dyno.. What do ya do?
    On the flip side of that the tech, once they couldn't duplicate, should have investigated further or asked for more info.
    As a seasoned tech whenever I see a diesel engine that wont perform I always go for fuel. 99.9% its the crappy fuel or filters. I can check flow...I can check pressures but first I change and inspect filters along with a fuel sample.
    Doesn't mean the person is a pizz poor mechanic/tech. It may mean they work for a dealer that doesn't have the infrastructure in place. Not condoning crappy diag...that sux.. Hate part changers. Just saying.

It is no different with electronics servicing. In my operation, we weren't large enough to have a Service Writer or Service Manager. So my techs and myself interacted with the customer directly. Even at that, we'd often get lousy failure symptoms, such as: Broke, Needs repair, Doesn't Work or the favorite of law enforcement "TU". This just added a fair amount of billable time to the repair process as now we were checking ALL the operating parameters to determine what the failure issue was. Even at that, often the issue was intermittent and the failure symptoms were pretty much a necessity then. We always reached out to the customer before returning something with "No Trouble Found" and changing parts as a "guess fix" meant we were working for nothing after that, as we always guaranteed our repairs. It would be a quick path to going broke.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast