• 1 Post By Bowshooter1
  • 2 Post By SulleyBear

Thread: Rock Shaft lever question?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks

Rock Shaft lever question?

This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a tractor guy! When I move the rock shaft lever to lower my MMM, the 3 pt on the rear moves first, then the mower. Same with raising, the 3 pt first , then the mower. So if I lower the mower to cut grass, and pull the lever up, the hitch should come up, but is their a easier way to just lower the mower itself? I don't want to drag my hitch is what I'm getting at. I have read my manual, but it's really vague on some things, like tire pressure, and controls. It is good for maintenance though. Thanks for any help, I told you this was a dumb question!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowshooter1 View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but I'm not a tractor guy! When I move the rock shaft lever to lower my MMM, the 3 pt on the rear moves first, then the mower. Same with raising, the 3 pt first , then the mower. So if I lower the mower to cut grass, and pull the lever up, the hitch should come up, but is their a easier way to just lower the mower itself? I don't want to drag my hitch is what I'm getting at. I have read my manual, but it's really vague on some things, like tire pressure, and controls. It is good for maintenance though. Thanks for any help, I told you this was a dumb question!
    Welcome.... and there are no dumb questions on these forums. :-)

It sounds like you have the standard mechanical MMM lift. It uses arms that are attached to bell cranks that ride against the 3PH lower arms. In other words, it uses the 3PH to lift the MMM. So when you raise the rock shaft lever the 3PH has to first take up a wee bit of slop in the linkage and then the MMM will raise. Same when lowering.

With the mechanical lift your 3PH will always be in the lowered position when the MMM is down. I have a neighbor with a 1-series with mechanical lift and when he is mowing the tips of his 3PH arms are almost touching the ground.

The only way around this is to install one of the hydraulic independent lift kits.
    glc, rtgt and SulleyBear like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Bowshooter1(05-22-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Thanks
    Unless I am missing something or just plain don't understand. Unless you are mowing at or near the lowest setting of the mower do you not only have to lower the tph lever until the mmm stops lowering? Thp my way of saying 3ph.
    Last edited by Melikes; 05-21-2019 at 08:03 PM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melikes View Post
    Unless I am missing something or just plain don't understand. Unless you are mowing at or near the lowest setting of the mower do you not only have to lower the tph lever until the mmm stops lowering? Thp my way of saying 3ph.��
    Correct, lower the mower until it stops at desired mowing height and set your position control stop right there, that will stop your 3 point arms well before they are all the way down.
    mdgilbreath and SulleyBear like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks
    This is what I do as well. I normally set the position control to remind myself not to lower the lever all of the way.
    mdgilbreath and SulleyBear like this.
    2015 1025R FILB, iMatch, 53" Bucket, 54D Mower Deck, 54" Snow Blower, Heavy Hitch Dual Suitcase Weight Bracket, Heavy Hitch Front Weight Bracket, EA 48" Plugger, Garber 48" 3 point Seeder, Kens bolt on hooks, CountyLine (Tarter Gate) 60" box blade, Kenda Terra Trac HDAP tires (front and rear), CozyCab Sunshade, TSC CountyLine (Tarter) 48" yellow rototiller, BXPanded 25 gallon 3PH sprayer.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    Then I always forget to move the position control stop back down to 0 when I remove the MMM and wonder why it's not on the ground.

Kevin.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2018 2025R
    120R FEL
    54D AutoConnect MMM
    47" Snow Blower
    42" HLA Pallet Forks

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!
    PJR832 likes this.

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,425 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Correct, lower the mower until it stops at desired mowing height and set your position control stop right there, that will stop your 3 point arms well before they are all the way down.
    Quote Originally Posted by pilot-five View Post
    This is what I do as well. I normally set the position control to remind myself not to lower the lever all of the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by dadtoandrew View Post
    Then I always forget to move the position control stop back down to 0 when I remove the MMM and wonder why it's not on the ground.

Kevin.
    Check out the very nice Stainless Steel depth control stop lever bezel or "top plate" to keep the plastic depth control from separating with use. There is a thread somewhere here on GTT about these and several GTT members have made them with slightly different approaches, shapes and materials. My friend KyleW, who I have never met but he is one of my GTT friends and a great guy, made this one and sent it to me in the mail. I sent him some $$ in return to say thank you and also cover his postage costs and a little of his time. I really like this depth control top plate......

If you would like one, send him a PM and see what the cost would be to have one sent to you. Very easy to install and the benefit is the metal top plate or bezel holds the plastic together and provides a secure way to lock the depth control. The shape of the top plate squeezes the plastic lips together and secures everything. Its a nice upgrade, plus it improves the appearance of the depth control lever as well as its function. Plus it prevents the plastic slit from spreading over time, which it will with the continued use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190515_224336040.jpg IMG_20190515_224354630_HDR.jpg
    PJR832 and Bumper like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements