Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Trading up finally!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks

Trading up finally!

Hi Everyone

Have a 2016 1023e, FL, Mower package I have used and loved on my 3 acres. Never had an issue and have grown to love this tractor

The JD dealer though had a 1025r package with backhoe and I pulled the trigger on that with the sale they had going, being delivered tomorrow morning

turns out when you have a tractor like this you discover all kinds of jobs that you should do! Problem for me was they were alot of walls, stairs, landscaping, french drains etc so the backhoe sort of became a necessity.

I also have completely convinced myself that I NEED the backhoe and that it will pay for itself by allowing me to do these jobs myself! lol

I have also discovered I am EVERYONE's best friend in the surrounding area, I'd like to think its my sunny personality but I have a sneaking suspicion it's because of the tractor. Most neighbors will pass out tomorrow when the one with the backhoe shows up. I also fear my projects will take a backburner as we tackle everyone else's

anyway, i opted for the 1025r w/backhoe, 60 in mower, 53 inch loader. can't wait!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats.

I have always wondered how worth while a BH would be. Though I used to say that about a FEL and now I can't imagine owning a tractor without one. Maybe some day.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 5 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Great move ! Did your wife or SO have any input to this deal ?
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Chris

2019 4052R/Cab, iMatch QH, 440R Loader w/BW16358 Bucket(Got Loops) , Frontier RB5072 Blade, Frontier LP1184 Land Plane, Front moveable fenders, Rear fender extensions, Dual Exterior mirrors,Ballast Box BW15073, Dual rear work lights(LVB24853), JD Hammerstrap, R2 4" Edge Tamers, (coming soon: Weather radar,FLIR,HUD, Chocolate bar & "Manpon" dispensers)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,174 Times in 833 Posts
    I did the same "math" a few years ago.

Nice Upgrade.

Now as for everyone else's projects.....remember that is where you get paid to practice...

Congrats!
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:30 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I did the same "math" a few years ago.

Nice Upgrade.

Now as for everyone else's projects.....remember that is where you get paid to practice...

Congrats!
    Also don't discount payment in other forms while practicing. When I was getting started in computers many years ago when I was stationed overseas in the military and single, I would charge a home cooked meal or some beer with the understanding I may not be able to resolve the issue. It was cheap for them and more often than not I could resolve the issue. Back then there was no computer support options and it got expensive to throw a computer away when the OS would crash or there was some other minor issue.

I did really think hard about getting a machine with a BH to dig the footings for my garage build. The problem was it would have taken a pretty big machine and I didn't have the time. As far north as we are I was looking at footings 5' deep and I don't think a 1025 or 2025 can dig that deep. Not to mention the width that I needed.
    Last edited by sennister; 05-24-2019 at 09:08 AM.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

8. Top | #6
    Jep

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 AM
    Thanks
    Nice going, I did the exact same thing Sat. morning. Waiting for delivery today. Hello TLB goodby cab.
    rtgt, BigJim55, SulleyBear and 4 others like this.
    1025R TLB 54D MM, Imatch Quick hitch, BB, Ken's bolt on hooks, Piranha Tooth Bar, 36" Artillian forks, Cyclone rake XL, 54" Snowblower, 54"used blade, Edge Tamer and Extender, Heavy Hitch Subsoiler. Trailers: Sure-Trac 5x8 dump and a 7x16 steel side., 647 tiller, 5048 Box blade, heavy hitch tooth bar, 260B hoe, mulch kit

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on new tractorEnjoy
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgt View Post
    I did the same "math" a few years ago. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/lol.gif[/IMG]

Nice Upgrade. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/good2.gif[/IMG]

Now as for everyone else's projects.....remember that is where you get paid to practice...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/1/lol.gif[/IMG]

Congrats!
    Also don't discount payment in other forms while practicing. When I was getting started in computers many years ago when I was stationed overseas in the military and single, I would charge a home cooked meal or some beer with the understanding I may not be able to resolve the issue. It was cheap for them and more often than not I could resolve the issue. Back then there was no computer support options and it got expensive to throw a computer away when the OS would crash or there was some other minor issue. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/big beer.gif[/IMG]

I did really think hard about getting a machine with a BH to dig the footings for my garage build. The problem was it would have taken a pretty big machine and I didn't have the time. As far north as we are I was looking at footings 5' deep and I don't think a 1025 or 2025 can dig that deep. Not to mention the width that I needed.
    Sorry to say the 260 digs to 6'2". 🙂 I also bought my 1025R TLB with the intent on using it to help build a 1400sq/ft garage/workshop... turns out the township said too big... so were looking for a new place to move too... (long story)

That being said, the BH has come in handy for several jobs over the last two years that I wasnt planning on both, doing and using a BH to do. It hasnt paid for itself, yet, but we've only been acquainted for two years now. My dog on the other hand, still doesnt have a job, expects free meals, free healthcare, and verbally complains when she doesn't get her way. The BH and tractor, not a single complaint, so far. I don't regret the BH even though it's on its bxpanded cart/stand 95% of the time. (and that thing should be standard option with them. )

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo View Post
    Hi Everyone

Have a 2016 1023e, FL, Mower package I have used and loved on my 3 acres. Never had an issue and have grown to love this tractor

The JD dealer though had a 1025r package with backhoe and I pulled the trigger on that with the sale they had going, being delivered tomorrow morning

turns out when you have a tractor like this you discover all kinds of jobs that you should do! Problem for me was they were alot of walls, stairs, landscaping, french drains etc so the backhoe sort of became a necessity.

I also have completely convinced myself that I NEED the backhoe and that it will pay for itself by allowing me to do these jobs myself! lol

I have also discovered I am EVERYONE's best friend in the surrounding area, I'd like to think its my sunny personality but I have a sneaking suspicion it's because of the tractor. Most neighbors will pass out tomorrow when the one with the backhoe shows up. I also fear my projects will take a backburner as we tackle everyone else's

anyway, i opted for the 1025r w/backhoe, 60 in mower, 53 inch loader. can't wait!

the first mistake was letting the neighbors know you had a new tractor with a backhoe attachment
    rtgt, SulleyBear and Herminator like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Congrats on the new tractor.........

Seriously, I am all about helping the neighbors out, but I also don't think it's reasonable to expect people who own expensive equipment to wear it out on others projects for free. When I get a call from a neighbor for something, if it's help unloading something or relatively simple, I will do it to help them out. When the neighbor calls and says "I just had some dirt delivered and I need it moved, would you do it with your tractor?" I usually reply to them and say "Sure, what's it worth to you to not spend the entire weekend with a wheelbarrow and a shovel moving the dirt?" and usually, they offer more than I would have charged. And if they are low in their offer, I won't hesitate to counter with what I feel is reasonable.

Most people have no idea what this equipment cost. When I was out core aerating a neighbors yard, his wife said to him "Why don't you buy a rig like that, it's probably not that expensive". He asked me what I had invested in the tractor and implements and I thought she was going to choke when I told him. That's why I charge at least $100 for core aerating a 45,000 sq foot lawn......The aerator is one of the more expensive 3 point implements to buy for these small machines, I think it was about $2,350 for the base 60 inch Frontier.

A neighbor called me today and said he had some dirt delivered and he needs help moving it. I stopped by there on our walk with the K9 kids this morning and he sure had some dirt delivered, 45 yards of it. I told him $95 per meter hour, rounded up to the nearest half hour. That way, if he wants to take his time on his end, the meter is running.......I take a picture of the hour meter when I start and when I finish and show them. No one has ever balked and if they were to, happy wheel barrow and shoveling.......

In our area, you can't rent a tractor for $95 per hour for less than about $450 per day plus delivery, plus fuel, plus implement and every hour over 8 hours of use per day bills another $50 per machine hour at a minimum and most don't know how to operate the tractor, let alone the implements, etc.

One other point, make sure you get an individual Inland marine policy insuring your tractor. Don't make the mistake of thinking your home owners policy will cover it as it won't the moment it leaves your property. Plus, the homeowners policy doesn't cover many of the types of loss, such as getting hit by a motor vehicle, or a machine fire or rollover and the list goes on and on. The policy I have is through State Farm which has everything else insured and the tractor and implements are insured at replacement cost and the premium is cheap, I think its about $260 per year. Let some of the work for the neighbors pay for the insurance and other expenses of your machine (including its purchase).
    rtgt, Jep, mwfromva and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast