Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: I opted for the 1023E instead

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks

I opted for the 1023E instead

I recently bought a tractor. I decided on the 1023E instead of the Kubota (nice tractor but the dealer was really not impressive) and also instead of the 1025R. I admit that I was torn, but the JD dealer, whom I’ve known for decades, gave me a much better discount of the 2019 1023E than he could on the 1025R so I went that route. My primary use is going to be relatively low-level landscaping and snow on my 2.5 acre home that is partially grass, partially wooded, and sits on one of Minnesota’s 10,000 lakes. The 1-series meets my relatively modest needs exactly. I went in planning on the 1025R, like everyone else, but it looked like the only real advantage was more power, and in everything I read, I never saw anyone complain that their 1023E lacked the power for their needs.

When I first looked at these things, the YouTube videos and reviews online made me presume that getting the 1025R was a no-brainer...way too many advantages on the 1025R on the older models that were being reviewed. When I actually looked at the specification differences between the two 2019 models, I was kind of surprised at the upgrades that John Deere had made to the 1023E. I figured that the price difference between the 1023E and the 1025R would pay for accessories that I needed worse than I needed the extra 2 horsepower, a tilt steering wheel (no belly to work around), cruise control (sort of), an accessory 12-volt socket (which I already added for about $12), arm rests, and a rather anemic-looking work light setup. Looks like I can buy a pair of blinding 12-volt LED work lights that I can mount on the ROP (where I need it) for about $26 on Amazon.

I didn’t need a mower deck as a ZTR445 is my mower and it’s superb at that. I don’t really need a snow blade because I already have a snowblower on my trusty old 277AWS, which works great for my relatively simple driveway (although I’m very intrigued by snow pushers). I bought the 1023E with just the 120R FEL. Thus far, my attachment shopping has yielded:
    • a John Deere iMatch
    • A Titan 2 inch receiver hitch for the 3-pt
    • A Field Tuff pine straw rake 3-pt (I have lots of leaves and pine trees, and one of my main projects is lawn re-seeding)
    • A Titan fork attachment with 42-inch forks. I had a few other options here but I wanted a 2-inch receiver hitch on it as well as quick-attaching to my FEL. I bought that off Amazon.
    • A Titan ballast box
    • a 12-volt accessory socket
    • a pair of 3600-lumen work lights for the ROP
    • a pair of Ken’s hook/clevis bolt-ons

I looked hard at comments here and elsewhere about Titan. Most of the negative comments about quality are older, and from what I read, Titan appears to be pretty responsive in the customer service category. I looked carefully at their 3-point 2-inch receiver hitch when it arrived, and I was impressed with not only the construction and welding, but even the finish. I’m no expert, but I have a TIG welder and although I can’t create great welds every time, I know them when I see them. That sucker was heavy, and appears to be far more robust than the John Deere version, and at a few less $$$. We’ll see what the pallet forks look like when they arrive next week.

All-in-all, this has been a really fun acquisition. Here in the outlands of lake country Minnesota, rolling stock is common. I have two large outbuilding for boats, canoes, snowmobiles, quads, motorcycles, not to mention the various trailers I have parked around the place. I’m not sure yet where this 1023E is going to ultimately get parked, as well as the various attachments. That of course was my wife’s first observation when I towed the thing home. She just doesn’t understand the big picture... . Fortunately, she has horses. So...no pushback on the actual purchase.
    Gizmo2, chex313, Busman and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    I think you made a good choice. Was there emmision controls on the 1025r that the 1023e does not have? If so, That would be a plus too.

If you don't mind. what was the price difference? No need to post what you paid, just how much less than the 1025r

My wife has cats, but not the same leverage as horses.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I think you made a good choice. Was there emmision controls on the 1025r that the 1023e does not have? If so, That would be a plus too.

If you don't mind. what was the price difference? No need to post what you paid, just how much less than the 1025r

My wife has cats, but not the same leverage as horses.
    I don't know about the emission controls. I'm presuming that both tractors have the same emission standards and that they both meet them.

The price difference was a little less than $3000.

In addition to the horses, we have three Golden Retrievers and two cats. They don't add a LOT of leverage as a percentage of the total, but every little bit helps....
    Catfishin likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 02:10 PM
    Thanks
    You did good. The extras on the 1025 are nice little upgrades but math says that if you go with the 1023 for $3000 less it will lower your bill $50 a month for 60 months. Think of what all you can do to the 1023 with $50 every month.

Last I checked emissions are the same. As long as you stay under 26hp.
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 05-25-2019 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Changed 69 months to 60.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Glad you are happy with your purchase. That's all that matters. Don't feel as though you need to explain your decisions for your purchases. You don't need to justify your decisions to anyone other than the Mrs. and sounds like that went well.......

If your purchases fit your needs and you are satisfied, that's what is important. Most of us on GTT don't judge others members decisions on such matters. Many usually only provide an opinion on such matters when asked. Some might question why someone chose an e over an r or whatever, more for their own information and wondering if they perhaps were not aware of something about one or the other which they should know.

Sounds like for your needs, you have gotten just what you need. I also didn't purchase a MMM as I also mow with a Zero turn and wouldn't have it any other way. Yes, it is another machine to maintain, but that is a very small issue when measured against the speed, results and overall outstanding performance of the machine. However, for those who do have a MMM or use the 3 PH in conjunction, the lift options on the 1025r are a valuable benefit.

You are far more likely to reach the FEL lift limits or the 3 PH maximum capacity before you will run out of horsepower or torque.

I am only commenting on Titan since you raised the issue about the reviews, posts, opinions expressed and the comments of others about them. The reason some of us have issues with Titan is that while they sourced many (all in the earlier days) of their items in China, early on they were intentionally opaque about their role in and the real source of the items they sold.

The early years for their product quality inconsistency was stunning, with pallet racks that didn't fit John Deere's front quick attach loader mount system, in some cases, they would be more than 1" out of square or the mounting brackets were crooked or misplaced, precluding it from fitting. Titan's fitment would vary dramatically, which raised legitimate concerns about many aspects of the item including actual material quality as well as assembly.

Also, they took liberties with the intellectual properties and "work product" of others and have done many things on the business side which aren't the way that some of us feel one should conduct business. I won't say more than that, but often in the business world, you end up getting what you give and most follow a pattern of honesty and ethical behavior because they expect others to respect their efforts, as they respect others. In a race to the bottom, the first one there is not a winner...

Congratulations on your purchase and I am sure you are going to be very happy with the tractor and implements / attachments. Please make sure to post photo's of your various projects as we really enjoy seeing what others are doing and how they are completing their projects.

Perhaps a great start would be to post photo's of your new machine and items...... Looking forward to seeing you around GTT and glad you formally joined and took the time to post and tell us a little about yourself...............I think you will find the GTT site helpful, informative and with plenty of nice people on it.....and then there are a few of the rest of us....

Seriously, welcome to GTT and congratulations on your new machine !!

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    .........but math says that if you go with the 1023 for $3000 less that lowers your bill $50 a month for 69 months.
    I think the fingers hit the wrong key as $50 x 69 = $3,450......... measure twice, type once.....
    Don't tell me in carpentry that 50 x 69 = 3,000,

it's the holiday weekend, we will cut you some slack and assume its "hammer thumb" which caused the issue...... plus we knew what you meant.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    If it puts a smile on your face that is what counts. But as a group we like spending other members money just ask.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    2010 John Deere 2305
    200cx loader
    iMatch
    Ballast Box
    Frontier 1048 Box Blade
    Frontier 1060L Landscape Rake
    Artillian Forks
    54 MM Mower
    54 Front Blade w/Artillian Wings
    54 Front Blower
    Terraking TKV20 Material Collection System

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    I think the fingers hit the wrong key as $50 x 69 = $3,450......... measure twice, type once.....
    Don't tell me in carpentry that 50 x 69 = 3,000,

it's the holiday weekend, we will cut you some slack and assume its "hammer thumb" which caused the issue...... plus we knew what you meant.
    As a really precise carpenter I measure 20 times and cut once. That only gives me time to type once and not proofread and I type really fast. One day Iíll slow down and proofread I hope lol. I did notice it and fixed it before you had time to post

You must have been sitting on that reply for a few minutes sipping some coffee or maybe going over the last remaining details of your ďwhat all do you use your tractor forĒ data sheet you are working on
    chex313 likes this.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    You did good. The extras on the 1025 are nice little upgrades but math says that if you go with the 1023 for $3000 less it will lower your bill $50 a month for 60 months. Think of what all you can do to the 1023 with $50 every month.

Last I checked emissions are the same. As long as you stay under 26hp.
    I thought emission controls started on 25HP, that's why I asked.
    Littlegreenmachine likes this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zebrafive View Post
    I thought emission controls started on 25HP, that's why I asked.
    Iím not 100% sure but I believe you are correct at 25hp. I confuse myself with 1023, 1025, and the 1026. Both the 1023/25 are under 25 horsepower. The older 1026 was right over 25. Which would now need the new emission.

Now I donít know the exact guidelines of where the emissions start. 25, 25.1? Gross power? I just remember reading thatís why they changed the 1026 to 25ís so they could keep the compact tractors cheaper.
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast