• 4 Post By SpoonPig007
  • 1 Post By martincom

Thread: 1026r MFWD Lever Broke Off

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-05-2019 @ 08:57 AM
    Thanks

1026r MFWD Lever Broke Off

Hi! I seem to have a unique problem according to the Deere dealer. The MFWD lever broke off in my hand. Looks like it just cracked near the final bend. I have the part ordered, and have been looking through the Service Manual to best access the attachment point. Has anyone done this?
    I can't find a good reference but I simply can't find the attachment point by looking. Is it safe to assume I need to removed the right rear wheel, the seat, the panel closures, just to get in there to attach a new lever?
    Any advice would be really helpful. I've searched here and only found one pic that didn't help a lot TBH.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Levi and kylew like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,353 Posts
    Gizmo,

I think his tractor might have this more vertical MFWD handle on it, as the European edition machines are different than the World wide edition machines, which often include the USA models.

Also, there was a change on the machines in the MFWD lever style, so it depends upon which lever is on his machine. I think it is this one, though.....the OP would be the best judge.

John Deere Parts Catalog
    Gizmo2 and Levi like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:19 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,888 Times in 2,865 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Gizmo,

I think his tractor might have this more vertical MFWD handle on it, as the European edition machines are different than the World wide edition machines, which often include the USA models.

Also, there was a change on the machines in the MFWD lever style, so it depends upon which lever is on his machine. I think it is this one, though.....the OP would be the best judge.

John Deere Parts Catalog
    I think you are probably correct, My Bad. Good catch.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 PM
    Thanks
    I believe if you just removed the right rear tire and the right seat closure panel, the should have enough--hopefully. There is a roll pin that secures the lever to the transaxle shaft. My concern is whether you'll have enough clearance to remove the pin with a pin-punch/hammer. You may have to pull the rear fender as well, which requires removing the floorboard.

After you have the lever installed, I'd recommend you run a piece of safety wire through the roll pin and tie it off around the shaft. The roll pins are known to vibrate out. I utilize stainless steel safety wire and a wrapping tool made for aviation. I think you can find them on Amazon. In a pinch, a piece of mechanics wire and pliers will probably work, but the wire gauge is larger and that will make it difficult to feed through.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

8. Top | #6
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Yes, I have the USA version, so that second diagram looked right. The advice on wheel and panel removal is what I needed. Much appreciated. Can't believe it broke, looks like pot metal but the dealer said he had never heard of one breaking. Oh well ... now I have something to do Saturday morning. Thank you everybody!
    Gizmo2, Levi and kylew like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I checked for some photos and I had one. You can see the roll pin sticking up:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1747.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	688898

You will have to remove the right rear fender. I've attached excerpts from the Technical Manual on the procedure.

From the photo, it almost appears as if there may not be enough clearance between the end of the shaft and the frame, to slide the control lever off. However, I think that is just the photo angle. There has been several posts where members have replaced the 2018 lever with an older one or modified the 2018 version to make the handle more user friendly. I know they didn't pull the transaxle to do so.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Levi and 1 others like this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

UPDATE from OP

Received a new arm and roll pin - by removing rear wheel and plastic closure panel, was able to rig a 16" roll pin removal punch extension and got the old pin and broken arm piece off. Then the fun started. Ever try to get a roll pin through top hole, shaft, and bottom hole of the lever when you can't put it in a vise? At this point I say it is impossible. After several hours of frustrating banging, "engineering," and bent punches I gave up. Took it to the dealer. I showed the service guy what the issue was ... he agreed. I hate to take it to someone that has never done it before either, but at least they can get at it easier from the bottom if need be. So frustrating.
    rtgt, Levi, bama1025r and 1 others like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonPig007 View Post
    Received a new arm and roll pin - by removing rear wheel and plastic closure panel, was able to rig a 16" roll pin removal punch extension and got the old pin and broken arm piece off. Then the fun started. Ever try to get a roll pin through top hole, shaft, and bottom hole of the lever when you can't put it in a vise? At this point I say it is impossible. After several hours of frustrating banging, "engineering," and bent punches I gave up. Took it to the dealer. I showed the service guy what the issue was ... he agreed. I hate to take it to someone that has never done it before either, but at least they can get at it easier from the bottom if need be. So frustrating.
    I'm probably "arm chair quarterbacking" here, but did you rotate the shaft to the 4x4 position? I believe that would result in the roll pin hole being vertical and simplify driving it in. I also have a set of roll pin punches with a dimple on the end, which keeps the punched centered over and on the roll pin.
    kylew likes this.
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    647 Tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements