1025r to replace x300 for mowing?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: 1025r to replace x300 for mowing?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks

1025r to replace x300 for mowing?

Thoughts on trading the x300 in for a 1025r with 60" deck....or should I keep the x300 and have both machines?

The 1025r would have other duties, like tilling, loader work, etc. But, do I need to keep the x300?

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    How much grass are you mowing?
    How big is the deck on the x300?

I'm thinking keep the X300 and forget about a deck for the 1025R.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gizmo2 For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,498 Times in 1,610 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IBruton View Post
    Thoughts on trading the x300 in for a 1025r with 60" deck....or should I keep the x300 and have both machines?

The 1025r would have other duties, like tilling, loader work, etc. But, do I need to keep the x300?
    IMO get rid of the 60" deck and go for the 54" IMO you'll be a lot happier .

60" deck is a great deck and a heavy deck, if you have a sloping yard or hilly go for the 54"
    Gizmo2, SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-05-2019 @ 01:03 AM
    Thanks
    Take all factors into consideration, 1025r mower complete setup 2k+/- thatís already a basic zeroturn$$$. Then if you get a blower or sweeper you will have to take the mowers autoconnect stuff off for the attachments driveshaft. I have the 54d but donít ever plan on getting front pto driven implements & love the mow quality over the cub-cadet garden tractor. What is the x3 worth on trade? Allot of the Deere specials are only valid if you have 2 attachments etc. youíll be happy either way!
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2018 1025r FEL 54"mmm titan forks & still collecting...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justchillaxin1 For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    06-27-2019 @ 11:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justchillaxin1 View Post
    Take all factors into consideration, 1025r mower complete setup 2k+/- thatís already a basic zeroturn$$$. Then if you get a blower or sweeper you will have to take the mowers autoconnect stuff off for the attachments driveshaft. I have the 54d but donít ever plan on getting front pto driven implements & love the mow quality over the cub-cadet garden tractor. What is the x3 worth on trade? Allot of the Deere specials are only valid if you have 2 attachments etc. youíll be happy either way!
    I don't see myself using any front mounted attachments. I live in the south..very little snow. Scrape blades work fine around here. I think the x300 might get around $1200....and I don't have time to sell it myself, which I know would bring closer to $1800. I really enjoy the x300 and it's 42" deck, but I also like the versatility of the 1025r.

Area to mow: depends....
    Home is only .25acre
    Farm is 100 acres, would use it there for mowing some areas around the shed/driveway/roadside etc....maybe 2-3 acres.
    Also, my 13 year old has his little side business mowing a few yards, he could use the 1025r for that as well.

Other uses:
    Garden tilling
    Spraying
    Blade work
    Loader work
    Trailer towing
    Tree work/debris removal
    Gizmo2 and SulleyBear like this.

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Iíd keep the x300 if for no other reason than to mow your 1/4 acre yard. I have 1 acre, have a 1025r, and just bought an x370. I think the 1025r is too big for mowing my 1 acre
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WifeSaidOK For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Keep the x300 for mowing. It is a better mower than the 1025r and will be easier to use for mowing purposes and it is easier on the lawn being a thousand pounds lighter than the 1025 also. Can you mow with the 1025r? Sure you can but you will see tires and weight create unnecessary stress on the lawn especially when the soil is wet. Check out Tractor time with Tim on YouTube to see how he mowed his lawn with a 1025r. It can be done but I specifically decided against a 1025r for mowing my lawn because I would never be happy with the results.
    If you are going to be cutting a field the 1025r will be very capable and worth the cost of a brush cutter on the back or the mower deck if the ground is clear and fairly flat. If you go that route You will want to remove the deck while using the front loader.
    Gizmo2, jdforever and SulleyBear like this.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JBible For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

15. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    I guess I have a little different point of view. I have a 1025 with a 60D non-autoconnect deck and am happy with how it mows. We mow 5 acres less house and buildings. Also have 150+ trees on the lot. The 1025 mows faster and is surprisingly more maneuverable than the 42" White lawn tractor we also have. Did just get a zero turn to replace the White and the zero turn being a dedicated mower is even nicer to mow with. Mowing for us is a 2 mower job to get it done in less than 3 or 4 hours. As far as the autoconnect I specifically didn't want it because I do have a blower. But connecting the deck 3 or 4 times a season hasn't been that big of a deal with the drive over. Just have to reach up to connect the drive shaft.
    North585, SulleyBear and brogers93 like this.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DeanB For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks
    I mow my 1 1/2 acres with a 2305 and a 60C. It’s great at making quick work of the yard and the finish job looks awesome.

The problem is that a deck that wide doesn’t do well with undulating yards. There just not enough forgiveness with a deck that wide and you will buzz areas even when trying to be careful. My yard is a fresh yard in its first year after they cleared and built the house. Long term I plan on rolling the yard out. Right now it’s a noticeable problem.

The other issue is collection systems get pricey on the bigger units.

I don’t have any problems with the tires on the sod nor on the seeded area, unless I don’t let it dry out.
    SulleyBear likes this.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to xoted For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

19. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IBruton View Post

I would. I like having multiple machines for various tasks. Yes, some can make the argument that its another machine to maintain, etc. but really, how much time do we spend "maintaining" these machines? A couple of hours a year changing fluids and hitting them with the grease gun. If you can store both machines and can afford both machines, keep both machines. I have a 455 which I bought new, I have a 1025r without the MMM and I have a Commercial Zero turn mower that I absolutely LOVE for mowing. That's 3 machines for just me. But I use them all.

In my case, I have several neighbors who pay me to either plow snow, mow with my zero turn or mow with the rear 3 point mower on the tractor, loader and box blade work, loader and pallet fork work, etc. In reality, my neighbors recouped 85% of my entire investment in my 1 series and all implements, attachments and accessories in the 2017/2018 winter and the balance was reimbursed to me part way into this past winter. My commercial zero turn already has paid for itself mowing a couple of neighbors lawns each week.

Your mowing tasks would be a large part of the decision as to whether to mow with the 1025r or not. The tight areas, the terrain, etc. would be important considerations. If you are happy with the mowing result, keep the x3xx. If things change later, you could always sell the x300.

Decisions like these are multi faceted and your facts are unique to your situation. You know how you see a couple and think "What does she see in him" yet they are perfectly happy? Same with these types of decisions. While we all may have opinions, these opinions are based upon our set of facts, which could be very similar or very different.

Plus, the reality is the dealer is not going to give you what your machine is worth on trade. The have to give you at least 25%less than what they plan to sell it for and realistically, it could be 30% off what you could sell it to a private party. Also, if you have any attachments for the x3xx, you usually get pennies on the dollar on trade.

Lot's of things to think about. Just know that on an outright purchase, you likely get a little better price on the new machine verses having a trade in.

Looking forward to hearing what you decide and seeing the pictures of anything new.......
    Gizmo2, jdforever, kylew and 1 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

20. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

IBruton†(05-30-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast