• 2 Post By 9MMMAC
  • 1 Post By KeyboardJungle

Thread: ZTR fail...1023E to the rescue

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks

ZTR fail...1023E to the rescue

As often happens, I had my Z445 in the back woods of my yard where it had no business being....it's a lawn machine, not an OHV. I ran over a large stick and the Z just lost all hydraulics...no go. As it turned out, the stick jammed underneath and popped the spring off the drive belt tensioner, but I didn't find that out until later. Meantime, the ZTR was stuck and those puppies don't tow well. So, I took my 1023E back there, where it had no business being, to rescue the poor Z. As it turns out...not easy to back that sucker out on a narrow path in the woods on castering wheels...but I did get it out with a minimum of tree scarfing. Got the spring back on the tensioner pulley and back in business. Jeez, this John Deere stuff can take a beating.....

Ken's hooks did facilitate the rescue...

Kennyd, Gizmo2, rtgt and 13 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    My El Toro Z has a couple of release levers for the hydro, under the seat. Bet it wold follow you like a little puppy with the rear wheels on the ground.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, Old Cajun and 1 others like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DMagers For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-02-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Z445...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	689208
    DRobinson, rtgt, Old Cajun and 2 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Z445...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	689208
    Yes, fully aware of the bypass. Thank you, though. Wasn't the most efficient option given the nature and location of this recovery.
    Gizmo2, Old Cajun and greenharley like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    As often happens, I had my Z445 in the back woods of my yard where it had no business being....it's a lawn machine, not an OHV. I ran over a large stick and the Z just lost all hydraulics...no go. As it turned out, the stick jammed underneath and popped the spring off the drive belt tensioner, but I didn't find that out until later. Meantime, the ZTR was stuck and those puppies don't tow well.

So, I took my 1023E back there, where it had no business being, to rescue the poor Z. As it turns out...not easy to back that sucker out on a narrow path in the woods on castering wheels...but I did get it out with a minimum of tree scarfing. Got the spring back on the tensioner pulley and back in business. Jeez, this John Deere stuff can take a beating.....

Ken's hooks did facilitate the rescue...

Well, this raises the question as to why you and the yard machines were back in the woods..probably not sight seeing nor mushroom hunting.....Must be a story behind it......You even began with "" As often happens, I had my Z445 in the back woods of my yard where it had no business being....it's a lawn machine, not an OHV."" Yet it sounds like the z445 is no stranger to the back woods.

Nice rich looking soil where the recovery took place. Just curious, prior to adding the 1025r, what would the rescue plan have looked like?

Might be the time to replace the Hydro belt as the spring tensioner coming loose likely meant serious belt slippage of the hydro drive belt, which is never a good thing...........those belts tend to depend of proper face angles to run as intended and designed. Better to replace the belt now verses a week or two from now when it fails and as you know, when the hydro belt breaks, you go nowhere in a hurry.....

Looks like the z445 with the 54" deck weighs 680 pounds where the z445 with the 48" deck weighs 665 pounds. Didn't even look to put much of a load on the 1025r and I noticed there is no extra rear ballast on your tractor, other than the I Match which is roughly 75 pounds. Of course, you aren't completely lifting the Z445 off the ground, but you are lifting the heaviest portion of the machine......

Those KBOH sure are handy and you just never know when you will need them. They make the rescue safer and easier. Nice job on the rescue.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Well, this raises the question as to why you and the yard machines were back in the woods..probably not sight seeing nor mushroom hunting.....Must be a story behind it......You even began with "" As often happens, I had my Z445 in the back woods of my yard where it had no business being.[/COLOR]...it's a lawn machine, not an OHV."" Yet it sounds like the z445 is no stranger to the back woods.

Nice rich looking soil where the recovery took place. Just curious, prior to adding the 1025r, what would the rescue plan have looked like?

Might be the time to replace the Hydro belt as the spring tensioner coming loose likely meant serious belt slippage of the hydro drive belt, which is never a good thing...........those belts tend to depend of proper face angles to run as intended and designed. Better to replace the belt now verses a week or two from now when it fails and as you know, when the hydro belt breaks, you go nowhere in a hurry.....

Looks like the z445 with the 54" deck weighs 680 pounds where the z445 with the 48" deck weighs 665 pounds. Didn't even look to put much of a load on the 1025r and I noticed there is no extra rear ballast on your tractor, other than the I Match which is roughly 75 pounds. Of course, you aren't completely lifting the Z445 off the ground, but you are lifting the heaviest portion of the machine......

Those KBOH sure are handy and you just never know when you will need them. They make the rescue safer and easier. Nice job on the rescue.

I've had that Z445 a long time. I use it to mow the lawn of course, and it does a great job of that, but I also have a bunch of paths through the wood and I use it to keep the brush and little trash trees down. I go through about 3 sets of blades every year. My granddaughter and I go hiking and "exploring" back there all the time, and the main part of that little trail network is a little deer highway - they traipse that route in droves every night, along with foxes and raccoons and other critters. She and I have a game camera set up and we review the week's footage every weekend.

Good tip on the hydrostatic drive belt, but it ain't my first rodeo.... I have two drive belts and a tensioner spring hanging on the pegboard in the garage, along with a mower deck belt, and a snowblower dive belt for the AWS277 that handles winter duty while the ZTR is hibernating on a battery tender. Minnesota is all about boats and rolling stock. I can't explain why I haven't had a tractor of any kind up to this point. Seems really odd now, looking back.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Well, cheaper than renting a helicopter I guess.
    greenharley and firemachine69 like this.

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:44 PM
    Thanks
    Same kind of thing happened to me - my 915B died the middle of the street. My rescue wasn't as dramatic as yours, and didn't have nearly the level of photographic appeal(I'm jealous!), but it sure was nice to have an alternative to muscling it back to safety. I looped a tow strap around the caster arms.

And yes - towing something with casters holds it's own surprises. The "B" almost ended up in the ditch. The short turning radius on the 1025 compensated for the brain cells that were apparently taking a coffee break...
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    Dave

1025r FILB: iMatch / JD 647 Tiller / JD LP 33814 60 Gallon Sprayer with 150" boom / LandPride CA1548 Core Aerator / Woods LR72 Landscape Rake with Titan wheel kit / King Kutter S-400-P Spreader / King Kutter Carry All / Frontier Pallet Forks / JD Ballast Box / ZTrak 915B Zero Turn / Heavy Hitch tooth bar / Frontier BB5048L Box Blade / Woods RB60 Scraper Blade

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements