Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree123Likes

Thread: Overheating normal in 1025?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks

Overheating normal in 1025?

We have a 2018 1025R we bought at the very end of last year. Got the Frontier 2048 brush hog for it. We'd used it for some smaller jobs already, but really put it to work yesterday. Temps were in the low 80's, fairly humid, brush hogging a big field with a fair amount of raspberry bushes and 3' tall grass and weeds. The tractor overheated 2-3 times, from what the wife told me. The grill would fill up, so she'd stop and clean that and the screen out. I ran it for about 20 minutes of the 4 hours, but it didn't overheat on me.

I guess the take away is we have to be stopping pretty regular and keeping the grill and screen cleaned out. But I was still kind of disappointed it is this fussy. There were 5 other tractors with us doing the same work, but all bigger ones with larger cutters. None of them were having big issues. 80's is warm but it's not even summer yet! We'll see a lot of 90's and even a few 100's during the hot months.

Does the above sound fairly normal for the 1025? Or should I be complaining to the dealer? The overflow bottle is a mess from the coolant boiling over, as are the fan blades and inside of the hood and side panels. I'll clean that all up and refill the coolant, of course, but I'm hoping this is not a regular thing. It has not overheated with out 60D MMM while mowing our acerage. At least not yet. We clean the radiator and screens every time we get done mowing.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jejb For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (06-04-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    If you get the “beard” on the tractor, then yes, totally normal. You have to keep that clean for the proper airflow. It’s part of any normal tractor operation. Sometimes it’s easier to find a better or different operational method to keep the chaff from clogging up your screens.
    glc, ejb69, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:09 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,271 Posts
    As mentioned, stop every once in awhile and clean the beard off. Piece of advice, you should be doing well before "overheating" occurs, as soon as I see my temp gauge clime above normal I stop and clean mine off. Also depends on what you are mowing as too how often this will occur, some things load up the front quicker than others.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

JD4044M (06-03-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Run with the loader and bucket on, bucket down low. Will that help keep the grill clear?

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    Run with the loader and bucket on, bucket down low. Will that help keep the grill clear?
    Sometimes it is the loader bucket that knocks the chaff off and gets it airborne.

This is just one of "those things".

Like PJR posted, just keep your eye on the temp gauge.
    glc, jdforever, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 10:28 AM
    Thanks

What I was told too.

Quote Originally Posted by 9MMMAC View Post
    I just took possession of my SCUT about a month ago. When it was delivered I asked the driver (other than new units/normal service) Why are you picking up 1025r's? Overheating concerns was one of his examples. So.. I was wondering if you were hogging with the MMM on? He politely said remove to hog to prevent buildup under the machine that restricts out flowing air. He also stated to run: loader on, bucket low and level to knock down debris and "slow" the build up on the screens. When these practices were followed it wasn't really a concern at all and part of normal op. Sounds like he was spot on.
    glc, JD4044M and Toughsox like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goat46&2 View Post
    He also stated to run: loader on, bucket low and level to knock down debris and "slow" the build up on the screens. Sounds like he was spot on.
    Yes and no, this is a debate that could drag on for weeks on any tractor forum, and what works for one may not be the best way for another. Way too many variables to say point blank that this is the best advice to give.
    What are you mowing?
    What time of the year is it?
    Is it dryer than a popcorn fart and the field has already gone to seed??

When we cut our fields and pastures we always try to cut the first time well before things go to seed, otherwise you are basically just overseeding the crap that you don't want growing, but along with that, you are cutting before the stuff becomes dry and flighty.

The only 100% sound advice is to watch your temp gauge and clean the front of the tractor and radiator screen as soon as you see the temp gauge climbing above normal.
    Last edited by PJR832; 06-03-2019 at 10:39 AM.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 4 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks folks. Seems it is fairly normal, something we will just have to learn to deal with.

The MMM was not attached, and we tried the bucket at various heights and angles. Didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Just got done cleaning it all up and refilling the system. The rad was full to the top still, some ran out when I pulled the cap. So that's good. It only used the amount it takes to bring the tank up to the cold fill line. But we'll watch it more going forward.

I'm a little surprised the cap on the tank is vented. With the overflow line at the top of the tank, it will already breath when it needs to. That's what makes the bigger mess, when it boils out of the tank and gets slung all over by the fan. I'm tempted to seal it. Thoughts?

I was thinking about the bigger tractors. Their grill/rads are further off the ground, so maybe that is part of the reason why they didn't have issues.

Absolutely love the tractor overall. It is so handy to have around our acreage. Just still learning.
    rtgt, jdforever, kylew and 2 others like this.
    2018 1025R; R120 FEL; 60D MMM; iMatch; AP11F forks; Homemade ballast box; Frontier BB5048 box blade; Frontier RC2048 brush hog;

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Thanks
    I live in Georgia, so I've mowed grass with the mmm for an hour or more at near 100 degree temps with no overheating. So the cooling system design is solid in my opinion. As long as the grill is kept clear you should be good.
    glc, rtgt, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Thanks
    I saw a guy on YouTube running a big challenger tractor. Apparently they will periodically, automatically reverse the fan to blow crap off the grill. I wonder if there’s a reversible fan motor you could install. Even if you linked it to a dash switch, it may do the trick. See the gauge climb, reverse the fan for 30 seconds and clear the grill off.
    Toughsox likes this.
    2018 1025R | 120R FEL | 260B Backhoe | 60" MMM w/ Autoconnect | 54" Quick Hitch Snow Blower w/ Spout Control | 54" Quick Hitch Blade | Artillian 3k with 42" Forks | Titan Ballast Box | LED Lighting kit

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast