Broken Taillight Assembly / Added Protective Structure (1025R)
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree96Likes

Thread: Broken Taillight Assembly / Added Protective Structure (1025R)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 AM
    Thanks

Broken Taillight Assembly / Added Protective Structure (1025R)

I let a friend of mine borrow my 1025R a couple of weekends ago...might be the last time that happens. He was going through some trees on his property line and brought it back to me with a broken taillight assembly (Right Side as you sit on the tractor). It was broke at the mounts in addition to a small crack in the amber lens. He zip-tied it back in place and paid me the cash for a new one, but I was still annoyed.

Anyway, I ordered John Deere RH Taillight Assembly - LVA18273 (https://www.greenpartstore.com/Model..._1017-3-3.html) and to prevent reoccurance I ordered John Deere Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Warning-Light Brush Guard Kit - BLV10400 (https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-BLV10400.html).

I went to install them this weekend and when I compared the LVA18273 to the one I took off I realized I ordered the wrong side. I don't know how. I know when I talk motorcycles, the right side is the side referenced as you sit on the bike or look at it from the back. I guess tractor-talk is backwards. I was disgusted and put it back in the box.

After some though, I wanted to look at it again to see if I could figure out a way to make it work and I realized the only difference was the red lens and the blackout lens were reversed. I got my trusty phillips screwdrive and blim-blam-boom I had a John Deere LH Taillight Assembly - LVA18272.

Not my tractor, but now I have this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john-deere-1-series-warning-light-brush-guard-kit-blv10400-11656.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	689492
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 11 others like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeke_in_SC View Post
    I let a friend of mine borrow my 1025R a couple of weekends ago...might be the last time that happens. He was going through some trees on his property line and brought it back to me with a broken taillight assembly (Right Side as you sit on the tractor). It was broke at the mounts in addition to a small crack in the amber lens. He zip-tied it back in place and paid me the cash for a new one, but I was still annoyed.

Anyway, I ordered John Deere RH Taillight Assembly - LVA18273 (https://www.greenpartstore.com/Model..._1017-3-3.html) and to prevent reoccurance I ordered John Deere Rollover Protective Structure (ROPS) Warning-Light Brush Guard Kit - BLV10400 (https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-BLV10400.html).

I went to install them this weekend and when I compared the LVA18273 to the one I took off I realized I ordered the wrong side. I don't know how. I know when I talk motorcycles, the right side is the side referenced as you sit on the bike or look at it from the back. I guess tractor-talk is backwards. I was disgusted and put it back in the box.

After some though, I wanted to look at it again to see if I could figure out a way to make it work and I realized the only difference was the red lens and the blackout lens were reversed. I got my trusty phillips screwdrive and blim-blam-boom I had a John Deere LH Taillight Assembly - LVA18272.

Not my tractor, but now I have this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	john-deere-1-series-warning-light-brush-guard-kit-blv10400-11656.jpg 
Views:	351 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	689492
    Nice. I just ordered that BLV10400 from Amazon the other day for my 1023E. I do spend a lot of time in the woods with that tractor, but mainly I am looking for a place to mount some LED floods. I contemplate mounting them on the black plastic cover fender where they are on the 1025R, but I think higher up will work better (I did add the black covers LVU32985 and LVU30308).

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:45 PM
    Thanks
    Nice! I need to get a set for my 2320. I have destroyed one light already that I need to replace...
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:47 PM
    Thanks
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Deere's guards bolt thru the ROPS and into the same plastic / threaded insert inside the light housing that originally affixed the lights to the ROPS. It's the plastic / treaded insert that is the weak point, so avoid any contact even with the guard or the whole thing will get torn off, light and guard. It's better then nothing though.

I ended up bolting my lights to the guards and then my guards to the ROPS. But it required a bunch of stainless washers, stainless bolts with the heads milled down and a wrench milled very thin to tighten them up. A big pain in the ***….
    2016 1025R, FEL, 60" MMM, Artillian 42" forks, Artillian loader bucket, Frontier 48" box blade, Turftime 54E plug aerator, I-Match, everything Heavy Hitch makes, everything Ken's Bolt On makes...

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,018 Times in 635 Posts
    You are correct in your thought that the tractor is referenced from the seat and anything on your right side is considered a RH part. And, you ordered the correct taillight according to JDParts.com. Maybe someone in assembly applied the lenses to the wrong side of the part.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    My bride wiped out all four tail lights, of two tractors, in one summer by attempting to corner too close around trees with low hanging branches. It cracked a few lenses and pulled the steel mounting inserts out of the plastic housings. Utilizing a combination of a press and 3M structural adhesive, I was able to reset the inserts. So all I had to purchase was two replacement lenses. If you have a vise with enough jaw opening, you may be able to use that in lieu of a press.

We have Cozy Cabs for both of the tractors. This model of cab utilizes the ROPS mounted tail lights as its tail lights. So we just leave them on the cabs. I can't recall when I ever worked past dark in the summer and at my age now, that is not likely to ever happen. I remove the cabs in the summer and we just run without the tail lights. I figure it'll keep me married and the bride helping with the mowing if I do. Otherwise, I may bite my tongue off.

You can source the structural adhesive here.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:43 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,535 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Here is the parts diagram and all of the parts numbers for the various components on the tail lights, plus it shows their assembly.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Some 1025r owners used to flip their lights around and place them on the inside of the ROPS to avoid them being torn off, which seemed to be the best way to protect the lights. It meant swapping the lens front to rear on the assemblies to keep them oriented as they came from the factory, but that is easy to do. That, and not loaning the machine to friends, family, etc.....

The ONLY way my equipment is ever loaned to anyone is with me as the operator and in control of it the entire time. Many people have no idea what this equipment costs and when they do break or damage something, the costs can rapidly escalate. Plus, people who don't operate these machines regularly can get themselves and your equipment into a real bind quickly with the short wheelbase, the narrow machine tracking, center of gravity with the FEL (and without it) and on and on.................

It doesn't take long to cause thousands of dollars of damage to these machines when bad things happen. The fact the friend paid for the damage is encouraging as some might have tried to deny the damage had anything to do with them. That's part of why I have a "No Loaner" policy now....

Every U.S. vehicle I am aware of uses the "Standing behind the vehicle facing towards the normal forward direction of travel".....as the orientation for side reference. Left and right, port and starboard, Bow and stern, Fore and Aft, hood and trunk, FEL Loader and 3 point hitch, handlebars and saddlebags.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    You are correct in your thought that the tractor is referenced from the seat and anything on your right side is considered a RH part. And, you ordered the correct taillight according to JDParts.com. Maybe someone in assembly applied the lenses to the wrong side of the part.
    Either assembled wrong or more likely got mis-labeled when packaged. The left & right are exactly the same with the exception of which side the red & black lens is installed. I'm sure both part numbers are boxed in the same facility.

When I replaced my left side recently I checked JDParts to see if my dealer had stock on hand. If they didn't, I would have just gotten the other side & changed the lenses.

You did the right thing Zeke
    rtgt, OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sick of the big tree grabbing lights! They are always sticking out to be torn off, bent, or otherwise destroyed. I'm tired of spending time backing up and maneuveting around to preserve these crazy expensive lights. They might be fine for open flat fields that somebody has to drive over the road to get to work, but they're a total PITA. I'm seriously considering removing them, then maybe - just maybe - making some quick attach/release mounts (magnetic) and some wiring mods so I can put them on IF I ever need them on the road.

Seriously, how many of you need or use those lights? I can see snow plow work with them, but I don't do that (on purpose).
    Last edited by Minuteman17; 06-05-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    rtgt, Busman, Zeke_in_SC and 2 others like this.
    2016 1025R FILB with Flames, iMatch, 647 tiller, 2048 heavy box blade, LP20840 Sprayer, SS1036B spreader, Fit Rite Top 'n Tilt, 54" MMM & BM 0827 mulch kit, Mower Deck Axles & Wheels, Loyal 4x4 drag harrow, Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks, BXpanded BH dolly & Piranha tooth bar, Heavy Hitch ripper with 8" & 12" plows, Suitcase Weight & Receiver Hitch, Front Weight Bracket, 8 x 42# weights, Artillian 36" forks with backrest & hitch receiver, hood & side panel sound insulation. And a Smile!

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 07:31 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteman17 View Post
    I'm sick of the big tree grabbing lights! They are always sticking out to be torn off, bent, or otherwise destroyed.

Seriously, how many of you need or use those lights? I can see snow plow work with them, but I don't do that (on purpose).
    This ^^^^^^ . 100 % bang on. Unless you are on a public road driving from point A to point B or doing some sort of actual work in or on a public roadway/right of way... you don't need em period. Fancy little baubles waiting to break off and then more dollars to repair.
    In the past 2 years of ownership of my 1025R... I can count how many times I've used the amber flashers on one hand and still have some fingers left over. YMMV.
    ... and I suspect the majority of tractor owners are in this camp as well.
    Last edited by Busman; 06-05-2019 at 06:55 AM.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast