Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Yet another 1025R Air Cleaner Story

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:16 PM
    Thanks

Yet another 1025R Air Cleaner Story

So, I've been watching the other threads on this and decided it was (past) time to get on it myself. First up, 2016 1025R with ~160 hrs in it, and has the "old" air cleaner.

So, I contacted my dealer and spoke to the service manager. This is a partial text of the email I got back.

We recently just got off the phone talking about the product replacement for the air cleaner cover on a 1025r. the PIP # for the repair is 18LV188. it is a fix as fail replacement. however if you would like to talk to someone higher up that might be able to do something for you i am sending you contact information for our district rep. talking to him about your concerns and hopefully he will be able to do something for you

Basically, he told me "Yea, if it fails they will fix it, but not until then"

We went back and forth with it, with him agreeing with me that it was a stupid policy, but that his hands are tied. Wanting to know for sure what was going on and being done with the deck project mentioned in another thread I pulled her in and began to tear into it.

I wanted to get the hood off, just for ease of access, but found that my hand tool set was missing the required hex sockets (long story involving a divorce, my father, and a flood) and wasn't going to play around with Allen wrenches, so I went to HF and picked up an SAE and a metric set of each, then a rolling work cart as well, because 1) Harbor Freight, and 2) I'm tired of setting stuff down wherever I can find a convenient place when working on stuff.

(nice paragraph long sentence there…)

This is what I found.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2016-1025r-AirCleaner-ValveCover - Before.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	690700

Name:	2016-1025r-AirCleaner-ValveCover - After.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	4.41 MB 
ID:	690702

Before and After removal.

There seems to be a bit of an issue with the bracket...

https://youtu.be/TmsVmYDlTO4

I don’t see any signs of cracking. The stuff you see in the middle seems to be nothing more than scratches in the finish, no lips or anything, I plan on getting in around the valve cover bolts, clean them up good and inspect them as well, but I don’t see or feel any issues there atm.

So, life has prevented me from following up, but I wanted to see what the “Collective Wisdom” of GTT was before I went forward. I was hoping to get the new airbox setup on before I used it again, but will need to cut the grass this weekend, so the old airbox is going back on – although I will be tightening the bracket a tad more than it was when it came off…
    Gizmo2, OxPath, jdforever and 3 others like this.
    2016 1025R / 54” Quick Attach SB / H120 FEL w/dealer welded hooks / Autoconnect 54D MMM / Frontier RB2060L Blade / iMatch Kit / Ballast Box / Receiver Hitch Kit / Block Heater / Aux + Rear Work Lights w/LEDs / Brush Guard / Canopy / Ken's Diff Lock Pedal, Seat Springs, iMatch hook/pin set

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_1025r View Post
    So, I've been watching the other threads on this and decided it was (past) time to get on it myself. First up, 2016 1025R with ~160 hrs in it, and has the "old" air cleaner.

So, I contacted my dealer and spoke to the service manager. This is a partial text of the email I got back.

We recently just got off the phone talking about the product replacement for the air cleaner cover on a 1025r. the PIP # for the repair is 18LV188. it is a fix as fail replacement. however if you would like to talk to someone higher up that might be able to do something for you i am sending you contact information for our district rep. talking to him about your concerns and hopefully he will be able to do something for you

We went back and forth with it, with him agreeing with me that it was a stupid policy, but that his hands are tied. Wanting to know for sure what was going on and being done with the deck project mentioned in another thread I pulled her in and began to tear into it.

I wanted to get the hood off, just for ease of access, but found that my hand tool set was missing the required hex sockets (long story involving a divorce, my father, and a flood) and wasn't going to play around with Allen wrenches, so I went to HF and picked up an SAE and a metric set of each, then a rolling work cart as well, because 1) Harbor Freight, and 2) I'm tired of setting stuff down wherever I can find a convenient place when working on stuff.

This is what I found.

I don’t see any signs of cracking. The stuff you see in the middle seems to be nothing more than scratches in the finish, no lips or anything, I plan on getting in around the valve cover bolts, clean them up good and inspect them as well, but I don’t see or feel any issues there atm.

So, life has prevented me from following up, but I wanted to see what the “Collective Wisdom” of GTT was before I went forward. I was hoping to get the new airbox setup on before I used it again, but will need to cut the grass this weekend, so the old airbox is going back on – although I will be tightening the bracket a tad more than it was when it came off…
    I’ve not had issues with the air cleaner on my 2015 yet, but I’m also planning on replacing it with the new design.

In my opinion JD should have the integrity to replace all of them free of charge.
    jdforever, Jeff B, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AJgrn78 For This Useful Post:

NH_1025r (06-11-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    As a good will gesture, even if the JD corp doesn't permit the change over, your dealer should step up and take one for the team. If this fails and causes some of the damage that has been shown with other 1025r, and your dealer is the one that gets instructed to do it, they will NOT recoup their regular hourly rate from JD. But if for some strange reason they actually did get the exact hourly rate from JD, it will still definitely cost your dealer more in time alone since any time they spend replacing your motor will mean time they arent making money somewhere else.
    Whats the whole bracket assembly cost, under $200 for a person walking in the door? That tells me the dealer is paying what..... less than $100 and spending less than an hour to make things right?

But alas, I'm just a simple kind of guy that thinks doing the right thing is always best......what do I know.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

NH_1025r (06-11-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Here's a question for your dealer. Would they do the A/F relocation update if, say for example, the rubber strap broke and came up missing? Does that fall within 'fix as fail' ? Didn't you just mention that when you went to check the torque of the nuts holding the bracket, the strap was mysteriously missing? And somehow found its way into the garbage can? (Hint hint)
    Tomfive, jdforever, PJR832 and 3 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket●BXpanded Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

NH_1025r (06-12-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_1025r View Post

This is what I found.

Who is your dealer? I also have a 2016 but have not yet spoken to my dealer (North Country Tractor-Pembroke)
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with piranha tooth bar and HLA Forks
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

11. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    Its weird that JD has certainly formally came out and recognized the issue as a design flaw for sure < well no it is isn't but weird they have without total remedy to all involved might I say. The second thing is, most every owner reports that it will fail after almost "x" amount of hours for the most part. Assuming that this is from the hours of use and vibration to eventually stress the plastic enough to fail. They have come up with a fix that works...….yes I know it cost them to do this and the 1025R is not the only model of tractor JD makes and there may be other issues to other models they deal with too. But to me, if their actual cost was lets say $75 to manufacture the fix in totality but it may very well result in a engine issue that could cost....????? Not sure what a Yanmar cost but I will say for simplicity sake, $3500 for a nice round number. So me as a corporate bean counter would say this...…..if your tractor is out of warranty and still falls under this repair then we will give you the replacement parts free of charge. Because if even 10% of those given that would actually not do this until the issue happened with potential catastrophic damage to the engine...…$75 x the tens of thousand would still be cheaper than the replacement of an engine I would say? I don't have cold hard numbers to do some comparing but I am looking to human nature to a degree. Plus, the fact you keep a customer happy for the future is invaluable.

I am just glad mine that I just took delivery of last week that was a 2018 model left over so to say had the new upgrade.
    Last edited by msheron; 06-12-2019 at 07:09 AM.
    Toughsox likes this.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to msheron For This Useful Post:

NH_1025r (06-12-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:48 PM
    Thanks
    You're making this far more difficult than it needs to be. "Fix if failed" was the same thing my dealer told me. OK, I have two 1025Rs. The first one did fail on its own. The rubber strap that secures the air cleaner housing, broke, fell off, and was missing. That was a failure and all it took. The second 1025R's strap also went missing...with a little help.
    Tomfive, jdforever, EVT and 3 others like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    OK

Now I have to go outside and check to see if my 1025 has the old or new attachment . . . I procrastinated long enough
    Toughsox likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks
    My dealer is aware of it and is on the Fix if fails track. They have not had to fix any as far as i was told. They told me There has not been enough catastrophic breaks reported to Mother Deere to warrant a full recall. I keep watching it though and ask them about it each time i go there or call them (only once or twice a year).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Toughsox likes this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:08 AM
    Thanks

Yet another 1025R Air Cleaner Story

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    You're making this far more difficult than it needs to be. "Fix if failed" was the same thing my dealer told me. OK, I have two 1025Rs. The first one did fail on its own. The rubber strap that secures the air cleaner housing, broke, fell off, and was missing. That was a failure and all it took. The second 1025R's strap also went missing...with a little help.
    Are you saying they replaced your whole unit with the new design setup, just cause your strap broke? Was it still under warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by t2timmy; 06-12-2019 at 02:49 PM.
    kylew likes this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast