So, I've been watching the other threads on this and decided it was (past) time to get on it myself. First up, 2016 1025R with ~160 hrs in it, and has the "old" air cleaner.
So, I contacted my dealer and spoke to the service manager. This is a partial text of the email I got back.
We recently just got off the phone talking about the product replacement for the air cleaner cover on a 1025r. the PIP # for the repair is 18LV188. it is a fix as fail replacement. however if you would like to talk to someone higher up that might be able to do something for you i am sending you contact information for our district rep. talking to him about your concerns and hopefully he will be able to do something for you
Basically, he told me "Yea, if it fails they will fix it, but not until then"
We went back and forth with it, with him agreeing with me that it was a stupid policy, but that his hands are tied. Wanting to know for sure what was going on and being done with the deck project mentioned in another thread I pulled her in and began to tear into it.
I wanted to get the hood off, just for ease of access, but found that my hand tool set was missing the required hex sockets (long story involving a divorce, my father, and a flood) and wasn't going to play around with Allen wrenches, so I went to HF and picked up an SAE and a metric set of each, then a rolling work cart as well, because 1) Harbor Freight, and 2) I'm tired of setting stuff down wherever I can find a convenient place when working on stuff.
(nice paragraph long sentence there…)
This is what I found.
Before and After removal.
There seems to be a bit of an issue with the bracket...
I don’t see any signs of cracking. The stuff you see in the middle seems to be nothing more than scratches in the finish, no lips or anything, I plan on getting in around the valve cover bolts, clean them up good and inspect them as well, but I don’t see or feel any issues there atm.
So, life has prevented me from following up, but I wanted to see what the “Collective Wisdom” of GTT was before I went forward. I was hoping to get the new airbox setup on before I used it again, but will need to cut the grass this weekend, so the old airbox is going back on – although I will be tightening the bracket a tad more than it was when it came off…