• 2 Post By Milharri
  • 1 Post By ejb69

Thread: Front tires foam filled

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks

Front tires foam filled

Hello I recently had my front tires on my 1026R filled with foam was sick of getting flats and not to mention my tractor lives on my water access property so has to be floated there on a barge needless to say its not an easy task. My question is this has added considerable weight to the front tires am I potentially causing damage to my front end, I only filled the fronts wasn't having a problem with flats in the back. Is it ok just to run the fronts filled with foam and the back still with air? Thanks in advance Rick

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,325 Times in 2,598 Posts
    Shouldn’t hurt a thing. The axle doesn’t suspend that weight as they press right into the ground.

We did have another member who said their dealer told them liquid ballasted front wheels would void the warranty on a different tractor, but I have some serious doubts about that. More like an uninformed dealer/salesperson.

Your front tires even filled doesn’t have that much more weight. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.
    glc, Tomfive, rtgt and 8 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    Dieselshadow is my Hero.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselshadow For This Useful Post:

beppi (06-20-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    Shouldn’t hurt a thing. The axle doesn’t suspend that weight as they press right into the ground.

We did have another member who said their dealer told them liquid ballasted front wheels would void the warranty on a different tractor, but I have some serious doubts about that. More like an uninformed dealer/salesperson.

Your front tires even filled doesn’t have that much more weight. I wouldn’t lose sleep over it.
    I was told similar, more of an escape thing for JD if they really "wanted" a reason to get out of a warranty claim.
    As far as the rest I agree, the tires are so small they don't actually add enough weight to have anything to worry about.
    Tomfive, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    Do you think the foam filled tires can handle the weight of the engine? Let us know.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and JD4044M like this.
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hummer.2012 View Post
    Do you think the foam filled tires can handle the weight of the engine? Let us know.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Man, they can handle way more weight than tires with air.

I foamed my 1025 and now have foamed all 4 on my 2038r. To me this is the best addition one can make. I live in Texas where everything is a thorn. I think I started a thread on it called “got thorns”. Dealer told me that ballast in the tires was not recommended by Deere. I didn’t care. NO MORE FLATS and no more checking air pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    I had my front right tire to the Ag Dealer twice and finally, I filled it with LiquiTube and it has held the pressure perfectly, ever since. These small sidewall tires seem to have bead leak issues and the low profile tires don't like tubes, they pinch very easily. In fact, when I had it at the Ag Dealer first, I asked him to put a tube in it and they suggested I go without the tube as he said "we have nothing but problems with tubes in these small, low sidewall tires". He thought cleaning up the bead would solve the leak, but it didn't.

LiquiTube Tire Sealant - Home

I added a TPM system and it tracks the tire temp and pressure on all 4 and the front tire with the Liquitube doesn't show any sign of being different than the tires without it.

No question, it sealed the leak and that was the end of messing with it. I was surprised how much of a price difference there was for the product depending upon where it was purchased. I ordered it right from the manufacturer and had it in a couple of days.

Special Thanks to GTT Member TreeFarmer for suggesting this product as it has worked very well on the front tires on my 1025r and other things which I have used it on...............

One other word of advise, before you take your tractor or tractor tire and wheel to your JD Dealer with an issue, check to see if the dealer actually works on AG tires. Many do not and simply send the tires out to the local AG tire dealer. Save yourself some down time and possibly money as well.

Liquitube Product, very large price variations depending upon source.
    DRobinson, rtgt, rydplrs and 2 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    It’s pretty common to for forklifts to have foam filled tires. So if done right a foam filled tire should be able to handle weight if not more than air filled tire.
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    There are two disadvantages to foam filling. First, is that the tire is basically turned into a solid. The foam is quite hard and won't give to allow the tire to work as designed to maximize traction and absorb shock when hitting something. Second is if you ever need to replace the tire for some reason, it is almost impossible to cut the tire and the solid foam off the rim.

I get the thorns issue. I think I would try the gel solutions first.
    DRobinson likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RSAmerica View Post
    There are two disadvantages to foam filling. First, is that the tire is basically turned into a solid. The foam is quite hard and won't give to allow the tire to work as designed to maximize traction and absorb shock when hitting something. Second is if you ever need to replace the tire for some reason, it is almost impossible to cut the tire and the solid foam off the rim.

I get the thorns issue. I think I would try the gel solutions first.
    Man, I think you’re thinking of the first generation foam fills. The newer stuff gives a better ride and in some studies has out performed air.

Still a bit more difficult to remove. But a sawsall will have it off in no time. Shouldn’t need to remove it but once every 10-15 years if that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt and Rhoderman like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I can’t tell which of the forklifts at work have air or foam in the tires just by the ride. Sure can tell when the air tires get low on air or go flat. My employer foam fills most of the low speed equipment that they own. They rent a lot of equipment. Really don’t notice if that equipment has air or foam filled tire until until a tire goes flat.
    rtgt likes this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements