GRRR - tore up the lawn again with my 1025R - brake?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: GRRR - tore up the lawn again with my 1025R - brake?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks

GRRR - tore up the lawn again with my 1025R - brake?

I put a nice deep circular shaped rut in my lawn today with the 1025R. I hate that. I mean, I really hate it.

One thing I have started to notice (interestingly enough by watching surveillance video) is that I appear to be riding the brakes on the tractor when I drive it. It makes me curious - when you hit the brake does it automatically lock the differential? I read something about setting the parking brake doing that, but does it do it when you touch it lightly? If so, this, and my propensity to ride the brake could explain a lot of the circular ruts in my lawn.

Yeah - I'm trying to train myself out of riding the brake anyway, but just curious.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    I'm not sure how far you have to press the pedal to engage the diff lock, but yes, if you are riding around with your foot on the brake you may unintentionally be applying the diff lock.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Auguste†(06-22-2019), grahamk†(06-22-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    When you depress the brake pedal the differential will lock before the brakes are actually applied in order to apply even braking to both tires. If you are riding the brake, you are locking the differential.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traction For This Useful Post:

Auguste†(06-22-2019), grahamk†(06-22-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    I didnít even realize my tractor had brakes

Iíve only had to use the brakes to put on the parking brake. How sloped and hilly is your land to ride the brake?
    glc, etcallhome, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isnít paying attention*

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:30 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlegreenmachine View Post
    I didnít even realize my tractor had brakes

Iíve only had to use the brakes to put on the parking brake. How sloped and hilly is your land to ride the brake?
    Yea, me too.......

I can't even imagine it would be comfortable to ride around with your foot on the brake pedal, unless the OP either has incredible flexibility or doesn't have a 36" inseam......For me, it's a specific movement to get my foot that high......

I don't think I have ever used the brakes to actually stop the tractor. Or the tractor before this one (in 23 years.....)

I wonder if perhaps the OP is dragging his heel on the Diff lock pedal, that would certainly be easier and make more sense.......
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 11:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Yea, me too.......

I can't even imagine it would be comfortable to ride around with your foot on the brake pedal, unless the OP either has incredible flexibility or doesn't have a 36" inseam......For me, it's a specific movement to get my foot that high......

I don't think I have ever used the brakes to actually stop the tractor. Or the tractor before this one (in 23 years.....)

I wonder if perhaps the OP is dragging his heel on the Diff lock pedal, that would certainly be easier and make more sense.......
    Yeah - i'm riding the brake pedal -not sure how that habit started, but it's time to fix it. i do have some places where I mow the grass next to a very deep creek and pond - it could be that I'm overly paranoid about going into the drink. I have now identified the problem - should be an easy fix. Thanks for the answers on the diff lock - it explains a lot.
    rydplrs, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:08 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Is there No way to split the brakes on those tractors??

Seems like someone...hmm...would find a way and offer this solution to you folks with the Doughnut issue.

I've never looked over that area of the 1 series...odds are its all internal but perhaps not.

was a thread a few weeks ago about split brakes but I think it was in the GT section....I forget..but someone added a pedal.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and grahamk like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,613 Posts
    Except for using the parking brake , I've pressed my brake pedal maybe 5 times in the past 15-20 yrs... I mow down a steep bank also toward a creek.
    I mow in 4x4 and L not H ,,,even mowing in h on the rest of my yard no need to use the brake pedal./

I just finished mowing for over 4 hr on steep yards , backing down hills sides , going up hill sides using a x738 ..Except to set brake to get off tractor and open a gate never touched the brake pedal..

If not using L Start mowing your banks in L and 4x4 ...
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to etcallhome For This Useful Post:

grahamk†(07-23-2019)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    On man your gonna need new brake light lenses when you melt them from the lights being on all the time. just joking

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    I got quite a bit of use out of the brake last weekend. When you want it to stay where it is instead or rolling back 2" or so, just press the brake. Loader and fork work type of stuff.
    Mine sounded sort of squeaky, probably from lack of use normally.

However, my foot is nowhere near the brake if I'm not planning on using it.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    1025R
    54D MMM
    H120 FEL

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast