Setting Pressure in Filled Rears - ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Setting Pressure in Filled Rears - ?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    @
    Thanks

Setting Pressure in Filled Rears - ?

I'm going to start out with an admission of guilt and will hope I don't get flamed for it. I've never attempted to set the pressure (or even check it) in the filled rears of my 2011 2520 turfs until about a week ago. This has led me to the realization that I don't know what the recommended process here would be.

My dealer filled the rear turfs before delivering the machine to me when I bought it in 2011. The wheels are mounted in the narrower stance position which means that the valve stems are on the inner portion of the wheel (not facing outward). The fluid level is well above the highest point that the valve stem ever sits at, so there's no chance of putting a pressure gauge on it in any fashion to check the pressure.

I fired up the compressor and set the output pressure to 22lbs and connected up the air chock. I listened to the fluid inside bubbling away as air was entering the tires, but didn't get to a point where it equalized to a point where it would stop. So, I don't have them up to full pressure and definitely need to "finish the job" but am looking for some guidance as to how to do this the best way.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 PM
    Thanks
    When I had a new set of tires installed and filled on one of my tractors,, the guy did not use a gauge,,,

with my R1 tires, and the tractor setting on level concrete,, he set the pressure by the number of traction bars touching the concrete.
    after he left, I checked the height of each rear tire,, the two tires were identical height,,
    I have to say, I was amazed how identical the two tires were,, considering that no pressure gauge was used.

I wrote the tire height that I measured on the wall where I park the tractor,, so that I can check it.
    I have added air once since the tires were installed a couple years ago.

So,, if the tire is too "donut" shaped with few traction bars touching,, your tire may be over-inflated,,
    BigJim55 and marlinguidegun like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,403 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meburdick View Post
    I'm going to start out with an admission of guilt and will hope I don't get flamed for it. I've never attempted to set the pressure (or even check it) in the filled rears of my 2011 2520 turfs until about a week ago. This has led me to the realization that I don't know what the recommended process here would be.

My dealer filled the rear turfs before delivering the machine to me when I bought it in 2011. The wheels are mounted in the narrower stance position which means that the valve stems are on the inner portion of the wheel (not facing outward). The fluid level is well above the highest point that the valve stem ever sits at, so there's no chance of putting a pressure gauge on it in any fashion to check the pressure.

I fired up the compressor and set the output pressure to 22lbs and connected up the air chock. I listened to the fluid inside bubbling away as air was entering the tires, but didn't get to a point where it equalized to a point where it would stop. So, I don't have them up to full pressure and definitely need to "finish the job" but am looking for some guidance as to how to do this the best way.
    when i had tubes installed in my tires-a couple yrs ago--the tire shop put 22 lbs in them, it rode like a bucking bronco. so i jacked it up-and left almost 10 lbs out-ride was back to where it had been for yrs before.

jack each side of wheel off the ground-then the fluid should be ok to do what u want-in letting the air and fluid merge without any weight on bottom-if i said all that correct

and i thought if the valve stem was on the inside of rim-then that meant the tire was in the widest stance if that's not the case then i've been running mine the wrong way since back too 2006
    PJR832 likes this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:54 PM
    Thanks
    I have 10 gallons of windshield washer fluid in the rears of my 2305. I have tried several pressures over the years, for me 14psi gives a good ride & traction. My loader doesn't seem to set completely level, so when using the loader a lot I inflate the right tire to 16 psi. My tires are in wide stance with the valve stems on the outside. Make sure you have the valve stems on top when checking the pressure.
    2305 with 200CX FEL, 62C MMM, Ken's Bolt On Hooks, modified HF Quick Hitch, turf & R4 tires. King Kutter XB Equipment; tiller, box blade, swivel blade, landscape rake & rotary cutter. SSAD 42" Forks, custom built Carry All & 8' Wagon. GrassHopper 725 D2, 2 Sears 42" Riders and way too much other equipment to list.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    Milton makes a gauge for filled tires:

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-928-.../dp/B0000AXBXW

Mine are filled right to the stems, that's about a 75% fill as usually recommended.

What are yours filled with?
    DRobinson, romcjr and Tractor Tim like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanks, all.

The tires are filled with (I believe) used anti-freeze. I would have to check with the dealer to be certain, though.

The fluid level is ABOVE the top-most travel point of the stem. There is no way to position it so that I get air at the stem - only fluid. I don't -believe- jacking the rear of the tractor would change this, but it might ultimately depend on just how close to the stem the fluid level actually is.

There is no way to "let air out" of the tires. With only fluid at the top, pressing the stem results in FLUID coming out and no air. So, over-inflation would require jacking up the tractor, removing the wheel, then positioning it at least partially on its side to make it so that the stem is surrounded by air. I do not have the space or the means to do that - tires are WAY too heavy to move without using the tractor to do it.

I put a fair amount of air into the tires when I had the compressor out. I noticed zero difference in it drove, rode, or "felt" under me. I did notice that the pallet forks sat very differently afterward (and that's what actually drew my attention to the rears in the first place - seemed I could not get the forks to be relatively level to each other for picking up pallets.

Given that these are TURFS, I can't reliably use things like the traction bars to determine how to set them. I don't want to buy another specialized piece of equipment unless I absolutely have to as I'm likely going to be selling the tractor within the next six months and probably won't own one again in the future (changing needs). Yes, I realize that particular gauge is pretty inexpensive, but what makes it fundamentally any different than the one I tried using? It was the same style and would not register any pressure - just let the fluid drip out.
    ---

2011 JD 2520 with 200cx loader, 61" materials bucket, and Artillian JDQA Pallet Forks (42" forks). 62D MMM, ballast box, turfs, and loaded rears.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:57 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,660 Times in 1,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Milton makes a gauge for filled tires:

https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-928-.../dp/B0000AXBXW

Mine are filled right to the stems, that's about a 75% fill as usually recommended.

What are yours filled with?
    I have one of these Milton gauges and while it is rated for liquid it is a bit of a PITA to use IF your valve stems are on the inside. The reason is that despite being a "plunger style" tire gauge, the plunger is spring loaded and does not stay out after being pressed against the valve stem. So you can not reach in, take a reading and then withdraw the gauge to read the plunger. All my other plunger style gauges stay out and have to be reset by hand - which is more convenient.
    Kennyd likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,082 Times in 2,548 Posts
    If it were mine...I'd jack up the rear to get the weight off (you still want the tire on the ground however) and let fluid out till I got air.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 10:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    If it were mine...I'd jack up the rear to get the weight off (you still want the tire on the ground however) and let fluid out till I got air.
    The problem with doing only that is that (in my case I was overfilled with rimguard) you make a heck of a mess with pressurized fluid flying all over the place. Thanks to some folks here I was directed to various methods of using an inflator hose to lower the fluid level to below the valve stem at 12 o'clock. A picture being worth a thousand words:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6855.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	692650

You still need an air/fluid gauge to manage the pressure. I ruined a fancy one with Rimguard.
    Last edited by RSAmerica; 06-24-2019 at 08:01 PM.
    marlinguidegun likes this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Yeah, that's sort of my view... One major mess when I could just add air using a controlled output pressure until it equalizes and won't take any more.
    ---

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast