Buying 1023E - must have attachments? Anything to know when picking up?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Buying 1023E - must have attachments? Anything to know when picking up?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 11:52 AM
    Thanks

Buying 1023E - must have attachments? Anything to know when picking up?

Hi all, picking up our 1023E late next week (FEL, 60" mid mount). Duty will be mowing 1+ acre, very occasional snow removal on long paved driveway, general maintenance. May do some digging or grading at sons house to add patio or gravel parking area, plantings.

Questions for you all -

1.) If I were to get ONE more attachment when I get the tractor: any must have attachments or options? Was thinking of asking to substitute a 4 in 1 bucket for standard one... or maybe a box blade or standard blade. I assume a blade will dig better than the loader. Also for plantings perhaps an auger but unsure if it's worth it.

2.) Anything to make sure of when I pickup the tractor? Maybe ask dealer to check level on the mower deck? Just looking for wisdom from you all

Thanks!
    OxPath and greenharley like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,105 Times in 2,268 Posts
    Ballast box or equivalent - period.
    glc, rtgt, OxPath and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

kylew (06-30-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Stan nailed it.

First must have, rear ballast.

The FEL with a toothbar will dig better than a blade, plus it'll pick up the dirt all in one shot. I have both a rear blade and a box blade. Each has their purpose and advantage over the other, but for grading and moving dirt, my box blade sees more dirt time.

You should discuss with the dealer and have them show you the mower deck level-ness, and how to work it etc, but don't get excited. Check it yourself when you get home. Get a level gauge from them also, part number AM130907. For the price, they could give it to you.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5389a18c-dce4-4aa2-abfe-e9811fb0fed6_1.6ee7c084c15de1f73263bbbe61a772b9.jpeg 
Views:	236 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	693406

Also get ready for the GTT family to help you spend your money
    rtgt, OxPath, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys! So, is a ballast box needed even with loaded tires? I was thinking that perhaps running loaded tires and one implement (box blade etc) would be enough. If not, then I'll spring for a ballast box instead.

You mentioned a tooth bar, is that a deere option or did you guys buy it separately?

If you had to pick, for basic digging like to put in a patio or gravel parking area... would you buy a box blade? or just a regular blade and use the FEL to smooth.

Appreciate the thoughts
    rtgt likes this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:19 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDeere View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! So, is a ballast box needed even with loaded tires? I was thinking that perhaps running loaded tires and one implement (box blade etc) would be enough. If not, then I'll spring for a ballast box instead.

You mentioned a tooth bar, is that a deere option or did you guys buy it separately?

If you had to pick, for basic digging like to put in a patio or gravel parking area... would you buy a box blade? or just a regular blade and use the FEL to smooth.

Appreciate the thoughts

Get a box blade with rippers.

Straight blades I've found to be basicly useless...too light to do much of anything and in the event it dose work you lose the material off each side. They do have a use for final grade in some instances but The front loader traveling backwards is easier & faster. I own 1 straight blade ...It will offset to either side by a couple feet..Hasn't been used in years but I'll keep it as it was Dads. They are probly best suited for snow.

A BB will move some serious dirt to where you want it or into a pile you can then move with the loader. I've added all sorts of weight to my BB ...chunk of rr track and used to carry the straight blade on it upside down. It would kinda lock itself into place. Also added a receiver to the rear of BB for trailer moving tasks.....It can be as effective as a ballast box and more usefull ,however you give up some manurverability as a BB is wider and sticks out the back a bit more .
    rtgt, OxPath, Jep and 3 others like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    If your going to be using your 3 Point hitch get a quick attach hitch . Also get a heavy hitch with a receiver hitch and brackets for suitcase weights.
    OxPath and theduke like this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,278 Posts
    A toothbar is a must for your bucket if you plan on digging. Knowing now what I didn't when I first bought, get 8 42 lb suitcase weights and a box blade. I use that combo for ballast more than anything else, hang to weights on the box blade when you need them and take them off when using the box blade, and often I will hang 2 or 4 on it when using it to help it dig better. And as mentioned, I would recommend an iMATCH quick hitch.
    rtgt, OxPath, theduke and 2 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the great advice guys. Wow so you hang 8x42 or like...335 pounds extra on the box blade?
    rtgt likes this.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaDeere View Post
    Thanks for the great advice guys. Wow so you hang 8x42 or like...335 pounds extra on the box blade?
    Yes, actually more than that sometimes, I also have 70 lb weights, you'll need roughly 600-700lbs of ballast depending on what you're doing.
    rtgt likes this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:57 PM
    Thanks
    1. Ballast. I run 8 42lb John Deere weights on a Heavy Hitch plus 6 50 lb suitcase weights when I'm doing serious loader work. Close to 700 lbs total with the brackets and all. Plus I have my tires loaded and wheel weights.

2. Heavy Hitch Toothbar. You'll need this if you want to dig with the loader. I think HH is the best for digging.

3. Pallet Forks. Get light weight ones to maximize your lifting capacity. I have the Frontier AP-10F. You'll be surprised how handy forks are.

I just dug out for a driveway expansion and spread 23 ton of subbase. Couldn't have done it without the HH toothbar and the ballast.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by sld961; 06-30-2019 at 08:12 PM.
    glc, OxPath, keane and 3 others like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast