Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Hive mind thoughts on drowned 1025r

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-27-2019 @ 09:45 PM
    Thanks

Hive mind thoughts on drowned 1025r

Quick background...we live in Nebraska, and the floods back in March basically drowned our 1025r. It was under water for about 2 1/2 days. And this was not clean water...this was flowing flood water, and it dumped silt and muck everywhere.

Including the 1025r. (Note...I have a new 2038r coming soon to replace it, so no worries there).

After much cleaning and draining, and going through everything, it seems to be clean and is running again. This seems to me to be a minor miracle, but it is running anyway.

So I have a couple options. I can try to sell it as is, and yes I will give full disclosure that it was flooded. My other option is to keep it as a second tractor to go with my 2038.

Here is where I could use some input. Even though it seems to be running smooth, I have a fear that it is not really (and never will be) fully clean. That damn floodwater silt got EVERYWHERE. My fear is that this tractor will be a constant problem child, and/or may someday just plain die because of the crap in the engine. Are these fears justified, or generally unfounded?

Also, I have no idea how to discount the price for the flood damage. I can see what these are going for generally (it is a 2013 1025r with H120 loader). But I would need to knock the price down some because of the flood. A couple thousand less than normal going price? Half? I just have no idea how to value it. I suppose the floor price would be salvage or parting it out...the loader would be fine, wheels and tires fine, things like hood and lift arms and seat are all fine. I have to think that there is around $3k in just salvage value here (mostly in the loader) as a bottom dollar value.

Just trying to pick the brain of the hive mind...any thoughts you have are welcome.
    jdforever and Herminator like this.
    JD 1025r; H120 loader; Howse 48" rotary cutter; Deere 647 tiller; County Line post hole digger; County Line middle buster; County Line carry-all; Ford 5' 3-point blade; Heavy Hitch receiver hitch/weight bracket; Heavy Hitch tooth bar; Titan pallet forks; Ken's bolt-on hooks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:37 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    sooo.. Not insured?

No way I'd dump it for 3-5k......you can't even get a decent riding mower for that money up here.

Imported tsunami junk starts @ 6500.

I'd keep it...Worst issues will likely be electrical and prevention now may keep issues at bay

Switches will fight back eventually but theres not that many......do those have a "brain" ?
    Gizmo2, Tomfive, arlen and 4 others like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    How anxious are you to get rid of it? You can start at a thousand less than going price and see what happens. No takers? Lower it a little more. Try again. You've got nothing to lose by trying. .

If you flushed the fluids out and got it running (smooth as you said) it might not be so bad. Run it a little more and change all the fluids again. See if anything more comes out. You might get lucky and maybe even want to keep it anyways.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Not in a hurry to get rid of it. But not in a hurry to set myself up for a buttload of future headaches, either.

For reference, this age/configuration seems to be going around $10k - $11k around here.
    JD 1025r; H120 loader; Howse 48" rotary cutter; Deere 647 tiller; County Line post hole digger; County Line middle buster; County Line carry-all; Ford 5' 3-point blade; Heavy Hitch receiver hitch/weight bracket; Heavy Hitch tooth bar; Titan pallet forks; Ken's bolt-on hooks.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    sooo.. Not insured?
    Insured under homeowners policy. Homeowners doesn't cover flood damage...
    So no, ultimately no insurance.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with the others, to sell it for 3-5g's is a giveaway. If that's all you think that you are going to get for it, keep it. It will be worth more than that to you over the years. If you think that you may have missed something, have a service tech go over it for you. Good Luck.
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 06-30-2019 at 08:09 PM.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    As for the tractor itself, we have dealt with many flood vehicles after Hurricane Sandy. Its the electrical connections that will be the ultimate downfall of your machine. Thankfully the tractor is small enough and accessible enough that it wouldn't take more than a good rainy day in the garage for you to disconnect everything, clean the contacts and put some di-electric grease on them all. (ok, might take an entire weekend, but that's really stretching it) Some parts you can't do that for will fail due to the water if it was corrosive in nature (think, starter, alternator)

As for the fluids, I'd run the machine an hour or so, get everything nice and warm and drain it all, replace all your filters, then do it again. And keep doing it until the fluid you are taking out is as clean as what you had initially put in. Might set you back a couple hundred dollars but, its cheap insurance if you expect the machine to last like it was supposed to before the flood.

Lastly, if you had insurance and they paid off on it, then Id let it go for a song to someone that might actually need it. With you getting a 2038, I can't see when you would ever use the 1025R after getting such a nice new tractor. It will just sit there gathering dust. You mentioned this flood was your whole area so, I'm sure there must be a needy family that can't afford a new machine right now and.....you'll be paying it forward.
    etcallhome, Tomfive, ejb69 and 9 others like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Boy, ToughSox is even nicer than I thought with his suggested plan to help others.....and I already thought pretty highly of him.....

He is also right about the electrical connections being an issue. I would make cleaning and drying those out a high priority as the corrosion will start and it will be hard to chase down and end. Clean every one and die electric grease them and it will hopefully avoid many headaches....

As far as selling or discounting the machine, as long as the buyer understands why they are getting such a deal, I wouldn't have a problem selling it. If its running good and you got the fluids and filters clean, you might just want to do as ToughSox mentioned. Surely, you aren't the type that would make it someone elses problem without disclosing the concern, so they are fully aware of what they are buying. Otherwise, you wouldn't have mentioned it or asked about it. So it's refreshing to hear you want to do things the right way.

This does bring up an interesing point. There are no CarFax or TractorFax on machines which have been "damaged" in a flood. No "Salvage title" designation, no way to tie the actual event to the machines identity other than relying on the honesty of the seller. So people who find really "great deals" on Craigslist and other sites should be careful to check the machines over carefully as they could have been flood damaged and someone is dumping them on a unsuspecting buyer.

I had a 80 TransAm which was in a flood over the dash of the car. It was a limited edition Turbo car and AAA totaled it, due to the flood damage. Once all of the water and silt has gotten inside of the vehicle, its just a matter of time and one electrical thing after another fails, power window motors, etc. I couldn't even imagine a new car getting that wet with all the electronics.

Submerged vehicles really are tough to ever completely return to their pre event reliability and condition. If you keep it, expect something to crop up from time to time, especially things of an electrical nature. If you can spend the time now to disassemble and clean the electrical connectors, you might just avoid a bunch of trouble. If you can't do this, you are likely going to have random strange issues cropping up which might just be more than you want to deal with.

Often on GTT, the issue of insurance on these machines comes up. The homeowners coverage is full of exclusions and not covered conditions, including using the machine off your property, getting hit by a motor vehicle on the road right of way, floods and many, many other issues. I had State Farm write an Inland Marine policy on my tractor and implements for their replacement costs, which costs me about $300 a year. I have about $45k in value insured and since I am often off my property, I wanted it covered for a wide variety of losses. I never thought about the tractor being flooded, but it certainly is a real risk.............

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Toughsox (07-01-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    me personally.......i would probably try to sell it.....probably at 10-20% below fair market value of that model used...and i would certainly disclose in writing that the tractor had been flooded

it would drive me nuts when the electronics started failing ....im thinking of all the switches..sensors...dash board......general wiring and the stater/alternator would be easy preventive fixes...its all that other crap
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Unless you have the ability and desire to attend to the issues as they arise, sell it.
    Paying someone to do it will quickly make keeping it a poor decision, and messing with it when you'd rather be doing something else will make you resent the darn thing.
    Do you have the room to store a second tractor that you don't even need?
    Last edited by Dr Maphesto; 07-01-2019 at 06:44 AM.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast