• 2 Post By Melikes
  • 1 Post By AJgrn78

Thread: Left Front Steering Cylinder Grease Boot

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks

Left Front Steering Cylinder Grease Boot

I have read thru all of the threads and it appears that the grease boot tearing is a common problem. I do not believe mine is torn, however the zerk on top will not take any grease. I replaced the zerk with a new one and it still will not take any grease. I am concerned the joint is worn out or something, and I do not want to create any further damage. No steering issues. Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameronshearer1 View Post
    I have read thru all of the threads and it appears that the grease boot tearing is a common problem. I do not believe mine is torn, however the zerk on top will not take any grease. I replaced the zerk with a new one and it still will not take any grease. I am concerned the joint is worn out or something, and I do not want to create any further damage. No steering issues. Anyone else have this issue?

Thank you,
    I never had a problem with it taking grease. The problem I had was the zerk popping out. I had to drill out the hole to put a bigger zerk in last fall. Maybe pull the zerk out and squirt some fluid film or your favorite penetrating oil in the grease hole. To be honest, I noticed when I had mine apart there is really not much space at all between the end of the greaser zerk and the actual joint. Only takes 2-3 pumps from the grease gun to have grease dripping on the ground.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 04:17 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with cheesetrain , it doesn't take much to grease up .
    SulleyBear likes this.
    Ron
    2016 1025R SILB (Self Installed Loader Backhoe)
    54 Autoconnect MMM
    JD Imatch
    Several homemade Mods
    Ken's bolt on grab hooks combo , Diff lock pedal , Oblong slings , Backhoe Steps
    Piranha tooth bar
    Artillian forks
    Armstong Ag 4' Box Blade
    Fimco 40 gal. 3 pt. sprayer
    Blue Hawk (?) Plug Aerator

2016 x580
    Power Flow 14 Bushel Bagger
    Brushguard
    Jeff's LED Taillights
    JD Mulch Kit
    42 Hyd. Tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    Mine won't take the slightest bit of grease. Hasn't since brand new. I have pulled the zerk and tested it, it passes grease just fine. I can see that there is grease inside, but when I put the zerk back in and try to give it some grease - nothing. Not even a tiny bit will go in.

Several times over the years I have revisited this issue. Each time the result is the same. But there is grease in there, so I am not too worried about it.
    SulleyBear and kylew like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 07:17 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    Mine won't take the slightest bit of grease. Hasn't since brand new. I have pulled the zerk and tested it, it passes grease just fine. I can see that there is grease inside, but when I put the zerk back in and try to give it some grease - nothing. Not even a tiny bit will go in.

Several times over the years I have revisited this issue. Each time the result is the same. But there is grease in there, so I am not too worried about it.
    Glad to hear I am not the only one. I guess I will not worry about it since there is some grease in there.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:53 PM
    Thanks
    I don't know what year all you guys 1025 is but my 2018 has no grease fitting.
    Wj80 and kylew like this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    i don't think it's necessarily the same problem, but I've had grease fittings that wouldn't take grease because the passageway under the grease fitting was packed with dried grease and dirt. If I took the zerk out and cleaned it out with a scribe and some WD40, I was able to get it to take grease again.
    kylew likes this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements