Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: 1025R FEL hydraulic connector leaking

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:21 PM
    Thanks

1025R FEL hydraulic connector leaking

Ok...so as many of you know I've been digging a sizeable hole by hand for my amateur radio antenna. What I've noticed the past 2 times I've hooked the front end loader up is that when I go to put it away, I have hydraulic fluid dripping from one of the connectors onto my mower deck......Not sure what to check here. Any idea on what causes these to leak? I usually keep the little rubber caps on both ends of the cables when not in use, but do know some small debris has to be getting in there......
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Following - have the exact same problem. Also have oil leaking out of the hose ends attached to the FEL after disconnecting an leaving them draped over the FEL making a small (4-6”) stain on the gravel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    Most hydraulic shops can replace the two parts of the quick-disconnect connectors at the point they are leaking . . .

You will lose about 1 1/2 to 2 inches of hydraulic line . . . is you existing line long enough

If you have a trailer you can bring your tractor to your hydraulic shop and they can see what you want to do . . . I did this on an old machine years ago and it worked
    Toughsox likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fungus View Post
    Ok...so as many of you know I've been digging a sizeable hole by hand for my amateur radio antenna. What I've noticed the past 2 times I've hooked the front end loader up is that when I go to put it away, I have hydraulic fluid dripping from one of the connectors onto my mower deck......Not sure what to check here. Any idea on what causes these to leak? I usually keep the little rubber caps on both ends of the cables when not in use, but do know some small debris has to be getting in there......
    If you connect and disconnect often, and if you are obliged to tap the fitting to release the pressure in the hose it can result in tiny damage to the mating edges which can cause a leak

The little caps will keep the connectors relatively clean but not stop leaks.

I clean with a clean rag and wash the connectors with clean oil before assembling
    Toughsox likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

1025r Tractor aka Bucky ~ New in April 2018 ~ 225 hours to date, about 13 hours per month - - - no lawn cutting

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Forks ~ Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~ DeThatcher ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Once they start leaking, replacement is the best option. Since the threaded connection is ORB rather than the common NPT, the dealer is the best place to get them.
    glc, rtgt, SulleyBear and 3 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    I thought Ken's Bolt on Hooks was the best place to get stuff
    chex313, rtgt, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (07-02-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,079 Times in 2,545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    I thought Ken's Bolt on Hooks was the best place to get stuff
    Normally, it is LOL. But these QD’s are hard to get and I couldn’t sell them for much less than JD does so I don’t carry them.
    chex313, rtgt, SulleyBear and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Anyone have a guide/instructions on how to remove/replace the male ones on the hoses as well as the female ones on the tractor? Should you replace both or just the males or female ends?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:54 PM
    Thanks
    As far as replacing both or just the leaking one, I believe I've heard people just replace the leaking one. They're not a machined pair.

The male ones should just unscrew. Relieve the pressure first by covering the end with a thick rag and push the tip against the frame or the ground. Use line wrenches if possible. If there's an adaptor (#7) between the coupler (#8) and the hose end, don't take the adaptor off. There shouldn't be a replaceable o-ring behind the coupler but there is behind the adaptor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormalAppImage(1)-4.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	256.5 KB 
ID:	693764

The female coupler shows an o-ring between it and the pipe end (#3). I'd get one of those and replace it at the same time. They also show a snap ring (#14) on the back side of the bracket holding the 4 couplers. I believe you have to take that off to get the coupler off. IIRC I read a post before where they changed the female coupler and it was pretty easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NormalAppImage(1)-3.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	273.5 KB 
ID:	693766
    Last edited by kylew; 07-02-2019 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spellchecker....GRRR
    Kennyd, chex313, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    As far as replacing both or just the leaking one, I believe I've heard people just replace the leaking one. They're not a machined pair.

The male ones should just unscrew. Relieve the pressure first by covering the end with a thick rag and push the tip against the frame or the ground. Use line wrenches if possible. If there's an adaptor (#7) between the coupler (#8) and the hose end, don't take the adaptor off. There shouldn't be a replaceable o-ring behind the coupler but there is behind the adaptor.

The female coupler shows an o-ring between it and the pipe end (#3). I'd get one of those and replace it at the same time. They also show a snap ring (#14) on the back side of the bracket holding the 4 couplers. I believe you have to take that off to get the coupler off. IIRC I read a post before where they changed the female coupler and it was pretty easy.
    I have replaced them on other machines and they are very easy. Once they start to leak, sometimes you can clean out debris and get them to stop, but frankly to clean they properly, you have to remove them and then you don't know if you actually cleaned the debris causing the leak and often they just need replacement.

If you are going to the trouble to remove them to clean them, replace with new and keep the old as spares just in case one is damaged and won't connect. Then, having a dripping spare is better than a damaged one which won't work.

I keep a full set of these in my spare parts box. There is enough failure with these eventually to warrant replacement. The very best way to avoid leaking quick connect fittings is to leave them always connected.

The big farm box stores sell these if you are in a pinch on the holidays or Sundays. They are the 1/4" quick connect hydraulic fittings.

As far as Kenny's parts, he has the very best plugs for keeping the hydraulic fittings clean. They require compression of the sleeve to insert the caps which fit INTO the fittings, not over them like the cheesy one's from Deere. Kenny's plugs have metal chains on them to retain them. I cut the chains off and when I remove the plugs, I put them in the tool box to avoid losing them.

I am sure he knows which plugs I am referring to. Don't waste your time or money replacing the Deere covers, get the actual plugs from Kenny and buy them once and be done. Dirt and debris is what wrecks these fittings. When your male fitting isn't in the female on the tractor, the plugs should be in.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast