Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Optional FWD indicator

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:01 PM
    Thanks

Optional FWD indicator

Anybody come up with a mod to put a FWD indicator on the 1025R (ok I know its digital- your fingers feeling for the lever under the seat). The lazy amongst us (me) would like something more convenient- given I'm shuttling in/out even while mowing (to back up the 60" without rear tearout-4, then turn while mowing without front tearout-2).

I just scoured the TM for hints (the 'puter is next to the AC and its 95 here in Lakeville and us Boston yankees still aint used to it). Anyhoo, i only see sliding couplings with on status or sentry switches hidden inside the box that could have an output 'borrowed'. Am I right on that?

So... that leaves getting an input from lever position alone. Other Ideas appreciated but I see:
    1. hall effect sensor - but would it detect a stationary ferrous object rather than turning splines (like your ABS tone rings)??
    2. infrared photoelectric detector (we use em alot on the scale trains- crossing and track occupancy detectors) BUT, light beam?? in a tractor environment (mud, spray, etc)??
    3. lever microswitch (and eventually the filth works into the switch...)
    4. Strap a magnet to the lever (could we magnetize the dang lever??) and pirate a sealed magnetic reed switch???

lots to think about... if you've time to waste!!
    All thoughts appreciated pos/neg (I can take it)...
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,323 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Doesn't it have an indicator light on the instrument panel?
    Oscar Leroy and Herminator like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    No sir, gave us a temp gauge but no idiot lite for the MFWD. All things being equal Iíll take the temp gauge and just remember to take it out of MFWD.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    I believe there is a little green lighted icon that you can see when you are starting up... but on mine it does not come on when I am in 4wd. I don't think it ever has.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    You should be able to feel the difference in the steering wheel. If not just look at the position of the 4WD lever itís no different than looking at a light indication. Think of it as an indication between day and night. Day is light and night itís dark.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    No sir, gave us a temp gauge but no idiot lite for the MFWD. All things being equal Iíll take the temp gauge and just remember to take it out of MFWD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar Leroy View Post
    I believe there is a little green lighted icon that you can see when you are starting up... but on mine it does not come on when I am in 4wd. I don't think it ever has.
    Apparently, I'm a dumbass. My 2320 has a green indicator light at the top left corner of the instrument panel. However, it is easy to tell when it is in 4WD, just by feel.

I would rather have a temperature gauge also.
    wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 09:38 PM
    Thanks
    I can understand how you would be able to tell by "feel" if you were in 4wd - if you were on relatively smooth ground. I can't tell, too much bumping and jostling around. Not only that but I keep forgetting which way is engaged and which isn't so I usually have to stop and stare at the little icons, then check again because the only difference is a small slash.

So yeah, I wish there was some kind of indicator.
    spferdil and DanW like this.
    1025r TLB, 54" Bucket, R4 Tires (metal valve stems!) with Beet Juice, 60D Mower Deck - mechanical lift, 42" Titan Pallet Forks w/Bale spear, 54" ETA Box Blade, 72" ETA Landscape Rake, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks and Diff pedal extension, Piranha Tooth Bar and psrumor's Seat Springs

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I think this is another case where Deere dropped the ball again. It would appear the bean counters scored another win on the lack of MFWD indicator light for the 1025R/2025R. Could there also be other 1-3 series tractors that lack the dash board indicator light? To me this would be a typical 'E' series tractor design. The 'R' series tractors are the top of the line, all the bells and whistles units. What did Deere save by not adding the MFWD lights, a couple bucks per unit, when you think of the thousands and thousands of the 1025R/2025R's produced.

My vote would be to have it included, and while they are at it, they could also modify the MFWD lever so it's a little more intuitive to reach for and shift.

Sometimes it's the little things that make or break a sale to the competitors tractors. This issue is one that Deere could and should rectify.
    spferdil and PJR832 like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by W9GFO View Post
    I can understand how you would be able to tell by "feel" if you were in 4wd - if you were on relatively smooth ground. I can't tell, too much bumping and jostling around. Not only that but I keep forgetting which way is engaged and which isn't so I usually have to stop and stare at the little icons, then check again because the only difference is a small slash.

So yeah, I wish there was some kind of indicator.
    If you ever have driven an old 4WD truck the indicators are adjacent to the lever or on the handle indicating 4WD high, 4WD low, and neutral. So just add a simple decal on the adjacent fender area to indicate 4WD forward and 2WD towards the rear.
    No wires or lights to go wrong. I try to not make a simple function complicated where things fail.

Even a magic marker 4WD and 2WD would suffice.
    Gwizz likes this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    It just occurred to me that the 1025 and 2025 have a different shifter mechanism than the 2320. Sorry. Like Kenny said, sometimes Old Geezers misinterpret things.
    Kennyd, glc, SulleyBear and 1 others like this.
    Don

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast