Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Extension added to MFWD lever on 1025R

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks

Extension added to MFWD lever on 1025R

I had previously re bent the MFWD levers on my 1025R's to make them at least a little more intuitive to grasp. But it still wasn't where I wanted it to be. I'm in and out of 4 WD continuosly. So I made another modification which seems to be where the lever should be.

I had a couple pieces of 1/2" steel rod kicking around from another project, along with 2 - 1/2" coupler nuts. I drilled out the threads from the coupler nuts to accept the 1/2" rod.

Then removed the plastic knob from the MFWD lever.

Put the spare rod in the bench vice and bent it to the shape I wanted.

Cranked up the MIG welder and welded the coupler nut to the 1/2" rod and then welded that assembly to the existing lever on the 1025R.

Painted the plastic knob orange.

Done.

All told, I bet it took me an hour to do both machines, and that's with fiddling around trying to find the position I preferred.

This is what Deere should have done to begin with.

Edit: Alternatively one could have also just put threads on the 1/2" rod and threads on the existing lever and then just screwed the parts together, but that seemed like way too much work for this guy. But if you don't have access to a welder then this is another option. Cheers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3115.jpeg   IMG_3130.jpeg   IMG_3132.jpeg  
    Last edited by Busman; 07-06-2019 at 09:03 PM.
    Kennyd, glc, Gizmo2 and 25 others like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busman For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (07-07-2019), Auguste (07-07-2019), DMagers (07-07-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,554 Times in 1,274 Posts
    Nice mod Glen.
    etcallhome and wentonbrown like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    Nice mod Glen.
    Thanks Pat.

This would be a good modification for your machine Pat. Too bad you weren't a little closer we could fix yours up for you.....
    Glen

Current Fleet

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busman For This Useful Post:

PJR832 (07-07-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Great mod.

I am betting that you removed the lever before welding?

I sure would like to do something to my 1026R but a cursory glance at the lever mounting does not seem to lend itself to easy removal.
    Gizmo2, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DMagers View Post
    Great mod.

I am betting that you removed the lever before welding?
    Nope. Welded it with the lever in place. When I can I like to take the easy way out, or work smarter not harder.

The only small precaution I took was to disconnect the battery terminal. The terminal was way easier than messing with the lever.

Also used an old ground cover sheet to protect the seat and fibreglass from getting welding burns.
    Glen

Current Fleet

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busman For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (07-10-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    Nice job on the lever modification.

The Deere engineers seemed to go to two extremes with the transfer case Low to High lever on the left and the 4wd lever on the right. The transfer case lever is about 4" to 6" too tall (long) in my opinion where the 4wd lever is just about the same amount too short (again my opinion but also others feel the same way.)

Often, you wonder if the people who design the equipment actually use it extensively in day to day situations. For the life of me, I can't see why the transfer case lever needs to stick up like it does, when I first got my tractor, I must have bumped the lever 20 times getting either on or off the tractor causing it to immediately shut down. Part of it is I have the cab, so I can't stand up at the seat to get on and off which makes contact with the lever far more likely. I have now reached a point where I rarely make contact with the lever for the transfer case but the lever still doesn't need to be as long as it is.........

The 4wd lever is just the opposite, you have to fish around the right front corner of the seat to locate it closely parallel to the operator platform.

Just so I am clear on how you connected the two levers, the end of the OEM lever is up inside the nut on the extension lever you created and then you welded the two levers together which provide the lever with strength, verses a "butt joint" of the two levers?

Also curious, Since the 4wd lever is a very flat movement front to rear, did adding the vertical extension change the feel for the levers operation or does it still just slide forward and back as before?

Thanks for your reply.......
    wentonbrown, PJR832 and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post

Just so I am clear on how you connected the two levers, the end of the OEM lever is up inside the nut on the extension lever you created and then you welded the two levers together which provide the lever with strength, verses a "butt joint" of the two levers?

Also curious, Since the 4wd lever is a very flat movement front to rear, did adding the vertical extension change the feel for the levers operation or does it still just slide forward and back as before?

Thanks for your reply.......

Correct...no butt joint. Both levers meet half way up inside the 1/2" coupling nut. Because the coupling nut is close to 2 inches long it allows a sufficient length of lever, for extra strength. Also the tolerance of rod to inside diameter of coupling nut was fairly tight.....almost could get away without welding. However they were MIG welded on both halves.

The feel for the lever is as good as before, just a whole lot easier to intuitively grab hold of.

And you do really wonder if the folks that design and engineer these things ever use them in the real world.

Must be a bean counter thing.... " If we make this rod 7 inches shorter we can save .000002 cents per 4 WD lever rod. And I'll get a bonus in my next pay packet for saving Deere some $."
    Last edited by Busman; 07-10-2019 at 05:05 PM.
    Glen

Current Fleet

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Busman For This Useful Post:

SulleyBear (07-11-2019)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    I like the concept....in checking my unit the extension would have to clear the seat. I check McMasters and the rod is about $10.00 stainless weldable. However the factory rod from Deere is $116.00 I don't like the idea of welding onto the factory rod but really like the concept. This might be a project for our site manager to pursue. Anyway really like the idea.
    PJR832 and kylew like this.

15. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    really like the post and decided to do same on my tractor. I decided on 1/2 zinc from Tractor supply...welded an extension on the end...here is results....left the connecting weld a little fat for strength....why Deere didn't do this is anyone's guess.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0592.JPG   IMG_0593.JPG  

16. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    better pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3880.JPG  
    PJR832 and kylew like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast