Moving to larger home - looking a 1025r versus 700 series.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Moving to larger home - looking a 1025r versus 700 series.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 10:04 PM
    Thanks

Moving to larger home - looking a 1025r versus 700 series.

We are soon moving to a larger home with a long dirt driveway and about 3-5 acres of grass area to mow. Total size is 10 acres of wooded, open and mixed areas, hilly. Driveway is "y" shaped; from driveway entry to house it is 850' long uphill and the other side is 450' on relatively flat road to an additional storage garage where the tractor will be parked. Since the house sits on a hill the mow areas slope down from the house with some additional 30' hills on both sides with about 1.5 acres of flat open areas where we may put in a 20'*30' garden (probably tiller in the future). Since I live in northern Michigan we also get a good amount of snow so the tractor will be used for snow blowing. 12" of snow and 2' drifts of either wet heavy or light powder snow are expected. The lawn isn't picture perfect, just your basic grass in sandy soil. Trees scattered around to mow around as well.

My initial budget was in the range of the 700 series (738/739 or 758). Pretty sure 4wd is going to be a must with snow blowing and the hill driveway. Started looking at the 1025r as it is not much more $$$. I don't have a need (currently) for a FEL but could see using one around the property in the future. Is it difficult to put one on the 1025r in the future if I did not get one initially? I have a full set of tools and prefer to do my own work when I can. Can the 700 series handle the snow blowing and tilling without too much wear and tear or should I stick with the 1025r? Given the total budget I'm also considering a cheap snow plow truck to clean the driveway and a less expensive mower for grass cutting, but then I'd still need something to till the garden with. I'm not too keen on maintaining a plow truck and a mower/tractor so I'm thinking a single machine for both duties.

Never owed a rider mower or tractor, we cut our current lawn with a hand mower. I am leaning toward the 1025r with 54" snowblower and 54" mid mount mower. We'll probably put a tiller on in the spring and perhaps pick up a box blade to help maintain the dirt driveway; or would just a basic blade work well for that?

Pretty sure a 1025r is in our future but would appreciate feedback.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    I think the x7 would do what you need, but with that acreage, I'd get the 1025r. Get the loader now. You may not think you need it, but you'll find lots of things up use the loader for once you have it. I live on 5.5 acres and use my 1025r with loader all the time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-19-2019 @ 10:09 AM
    Thanks
    It's not difficult to add a FEL later, but what I'll tell you is you might as well get one if you can afford it. Even if you don't use the bucket that much a good set of forks on these tractors is so useful for things like moving large logs, placing stuff like mulch close to where you need it (in bags or with the bucket if you bring it in by the load).

That aside, if you get a tiller you're going to need the FEL for front end ballast. Unless you want to purchase a rack and weights to supplement it. If you put a 500+ lb tiller on the back of these things you won't really be doing a wheelie, but you won't have good front end traction to help you get up hills. Actually, since you said your property is hilly it could get a little hairy.

I live on a hill has well, 8 acres, about 3.5 that I mow (I have the 60" deck). The 1025R is a great machine. With a dirt driveway you'll probably wind up with a box blade at some point and you'll need the FEL for ballast on that as well.
    jdforever and SulleyBear like this.
    2015 JD 1025R TLB-Setup (Dealer Installed Backhoe & Power Beyond)
    H120 Loader & 260 Backhoe
    60D MMM with Auto Connect & Ind. Hydraulic Lift
    JD I-match Quick Hitch
    Agri Supply CGR-48 Tiller (77709) & 48" Clamp on Debris Fork (87636)
    Yard Tuff 3-Pt. Plug Aerator (Northern Tool)
    42" Titan Forks w/ 2" Trailer Receiver
    HH Toothbar, Rear 2" Rec. Hitch Plate & 3-in-1 Trailer Tow Hitch
    Ken's Bolt on Hooks, Seat Springs, Differential Lock Pedal Ext.
    JD Forward Lighting Kit & Rear Work Light

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    4 acres here, mostly lawn. Had an x730 and it was an awesome lawn machine but moved up to a 1025r and it's so much more useful with the loader especially when it comes to yard maintenance as I have a crapload of trees. Get the 1025r. You won't regret it!
    jdforever, SulleyBear and orono like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronfb View Post
    We are soon moving to a larger home with a long dirt driveway and about 3-5 acres of grass area to mow. Total size is 10 acres of wooded, open and mixed areas, hilly. Driveway is "y" shaped; from driveway entry to house it is 850' long uphill and the other side is 450' on relatively flat road to an additional storage garage where the tractor will be parked. Since the house sits on a hill the mow areas slope down from the house with some additional 30' hills on both sides with about 1.5 acres of flat open areas where we may put in a 20'*30' garden (probably tiller in the future). Since I live in northern Michigan we also get a good amount of snow so the tractor will be used for snow blowing. 12" of snow and 2' drifts of either wet heavy or light powder snow are expected. The lawn isn't picture perfect, just your basic grass in sandy soil. Trees scattered around to mow around as well.

My initial budget was in the range of the 700 series (738/739 or 758). Pretty sure 4wd is going to be a must with snow blowing and the hill driveway. Started looking at the 1025r as it is not much more $$$. I don't have a need (currently) for a FEL but could see using one around the property in the future. Is it difficult to put one on the 1025r in the future if I did not get one initially? I have a full set of tools and prefer to do my own work when I can. Can the 700 series handle the snow blowing and tilling without too much wear and tear or should I stick with the 1025r? Given the total budget I'm also considering a cheap snow plow truck to clean the driveway and a less expensive mower for grass cutting, but then I'd still need something to till the garden with. I'm not too keen on maintaining a plow truck and a mower/tractor so I'm thinking a single machine for both duties.

Never owed a rider mower or tractor, we cut our current lawn with a hand mower. I am leaning toward the 1025r with 54" snowblower and 54" mid mount mower. We'll probably put a tiller on in the spring and perhaps pick up a box blade to help maintain the dirt driveway; or would just a basic blade work well for that?

Pretty sure a 1025r is in our future but would appreciate feedback.
    • 10 acres
    • 3-5 acres of grass to mow
    • wooded area
    • Michigan
    • 450-850 foot dirt driveway
    • plan for garden

Man, that just screams SCUT with FEL/ballast, mower, snowblower or pusher, box blade, tiller, and 0% financing makes it scream even louder. As a budget-saver, you might consider the 1023E. I went back and forth between the 1023E and the 1025R and opted for the former (saving a few $$thousand), but I didn't need the mower. You'd have to look at the differences in the way a 1023E manages a MMM compared to the 1025R (I don't know what the difference is, or if it's significant). Otherwise, the differences are pretty negligible, and for me at least, not worth the expense.

You can put a cab on it. That would be pretty elegant, but that never appealed to me. I live in Minnesota, managing our considerable snow on an open-station for decades. Like most Minnesotans (and Michiganders), I have a lot of warm clothing. For the snowblower, I throw on my snowmobile helmet which eliminates the brain-freeze from the inevitable component of blowing into the wind.
    Last edited by MacCool; 07-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Running a snowblower with an open station tractor on an 850’ driveway in Michigan?

Not me - get a Gator with a cab or something similar for snow removal. Or as you suggested - an old plow truck.
    jdforever and bvbearcat like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    Sure you can add it later but it is cheaper and easier to get it with the FEL now. You can get 0% financing on that FEL now vs having to buy it outright if you do it later. Also resale on a 1025R without a FEL will be harder. I know I wouldn't consider buying one without it.

Can a X7xx take care of your yard needs. Sure. I have a X585 which is a 2002 model. This was before the renumbering so the equivalent machine in today's options would be a X738 with the only real difference being mine is older and has shift on the fly 4wd not all wheel drive.

I don't have as much land to mow. I cut 2 acres. Did that for many years with the X585 and a 54C deck. It has been retired from that use and mowing is now done with a Z950R. I am prepping to move up to a bigger tractor. Since I don't have the mowing needs it will likely be a 3025E.

We don't have as much driveway as you and it is paved but when you add in neighbors that I also clear, I probably move as much snow as you. I normally plow but I do have a blower.

If I were to buy a new machine now and needed mowing, front blowing and FEL it would be a 2025R or if that was too big 1025R. The 2025R is basically the same machine as a 1025R, just a little bigger tires and overall size.

You may say you don't need a FEL. You are saying that because you don't have one now. If you ever need to pull a cart around for stuff or use a wheelbarrow, you will quickly find the FEL is so much easier for all those tasks. Put some hooks on it now any heavy lifting you once did is now done by the FEL. I am looking at moving up to a 3025E because I want more lifting capability with a FEL than what my CTC FEL can do on the X585. I use it so much it really is a dedicated FEL machine now 9 months a year. The only time the FEL is off for a long period is in the winter when I am plowing. Once you get one you will wonder how your back survived life without it.
    SulleyBear likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    I don’t know anything about snow or plowing.

Everyone on here has a tendency to talk you up in size, money, etc. Me too. The most sniveling that gets done on here is from the guys that started way too small and trade and flip three or four times and lose their shirt in the process. Don’t be that guy. 1. Be in it for the long haul. 2. With that acreage and your needs one machine may do a lot, though it won’t do everything perfectly. 3. Add to your fleet as you can. Trading for that next “perfect single” is a unicorn. 4. Figure out where you are going to store this good stuff. Rust is depressing if only superficial. 5. Take advantage of 0% and roll as many accessories, attachments, and 42# weights as you can into a package deal. Steel and shipping never gets cheaper. 6. Get the FEL, get some pallet forks. (Not the clamp ons). 7. Watch as many early Tractor Time With Tim videos as you can. Bill Burkhart and Ask Tractor Mike are good too.

1025R should be your minimum. Buy as much as you can afford and have room to take care of. With the right tools you will enjoy your time on your property.
    2006 2305, 880 hours, 200CX FEL, Imatch (stationary hook), Frontier 1060E RFM, BB2048L, LR1060L, JD403 rotary cutter, Wallenstein CAN BX42, Since Tractor Time With Tim: Artillian forks, Front Hoe, 3PT adaptor, 2" receiver plate, Heavy Hitch dual weight bracket, HH Tooth bar, HH ripper/middle buster.
    Used 2014 X324 AWS 48"/Powerflo bags; 2011 Craigslist: X540 54”, MC519/Powerflo, 48 front blade; ‘78 316K/33 tiller. ‘80 314 project.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FortClatsop For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (07-10-2019)

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,024 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FortClatsop View Post
    I don’t know anything about snow or plowing.

Everyone on here has a tendency to talk you up in size, money, etc. Me too. The most sniveling that gets done on here is from the guys that started way too small and trade and flip three or four times and lose their shirt in the process. Don’t be that guy. 1. Be in it for the long haul. 2. With that acreage and your needs one machine may do a lot, though it won’t do everything perfectly. 3. Add to your fleet as you can. Trading for that next “perfect single” is a unicorn. 4. Figure out where you are going to store this good stuff. Rust is depressing if only superficial. 5. Take advantage of 0% and roll as many accessories, attachments, and 42# weights as you can into a package deal. Steel and shipping never gets cheaper. 6. Get the FEL, get some pallet forks. (Not the clamp ons). 7. Watch as many early Tractor Time With Tim videos as you can. Bill Burkhart and Ask Tractor Mike are good too.

1025R should be your minimum. Buy as much as you can afford and have room to take care of. With the right tools you will enjoy your time on your property.
    Many many stories on here just as you describe.

Buy it once and buy it right.

The proper way to buy/size a tractor is to first asses your needs. What do you need to accomplish? Once that is figured out then you choose the proper implements to do those jobs.

The last thing on the list is to size the tractor to the implements.
    jdforever likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:04 PM
    Thanks
    You say that a tiller might be in your future.

Adding 3 pt and PTO to the x7 series is very expensive.

I'm with everyone else. Get the 1025r with loader from the start.

Tim
    jdforever, romcjr, hemi225 and 1 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements