Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: You Learn Something New Everyday

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Thanks

You Learn Something New Everyday

So I had my 50 hour service done by my dealer on my 1025r last week. I went and picked Johnny up Monday evening after I got out of work. Paid the $250 for the service (I know I could have done it myself, but with it being under warranty and pressed for time it was worth the money for me) and loaded him up on my trailer and pulled him home. Got home with no issues and cooked dinner real quick for the family before I went out and unloaded, connected the mowing deck, disconnected the front bucket, and went to mow. Hit the PTO switch and got nothing. Hmmm.... Hit it again...nothing. Drive back over to the barn, disconnect the mowing deck and this is what I saw.

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	PTO Shaft.jpg†
Views:	51†
Size:	361.4 KB†
ID:	694908

Trying not to panic, I crawled underneath and figured out within a couple minutes how to reconnect the drive shaft. It must have fell off pulling it home is the only thing I can think of. Went to reconnect the mowing deck and couldn't get it to reconnect. Now I'm extremely frustrated at this time. Blood pressure is rising and lots of colorful language is flying around the barn. I keep trying for about 30 minutes and I'm extremely upset. Thankfully my father-in-law stopped by and gave me an extra set of eyes. He says "You close, but it just looks like your crooked." So I take a deep breath, drive back away from the deck for a longer distance to give myself a better line, and Bingo! She clicks right in. So basically everything was just my fault.

So what did I learn?

1. How to reconnect the PTO shaft. Not that big of deal.
    2. Slow down, take a deep breath, and don't panic!

Everything was great after that. No problems.
    mjncad, glc, Gizmo2 and 17 others like this.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigK For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(07-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    Yea thatís kind of alarming that it would do that. Did you ask the service dept if itís OK for it to fall out like that?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kbar For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(07-11-2019)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kbar View Post
    Yea thatís kind of alarming that it would do that. Did you ask the service dept if itís OK for it to fall out like that?

Good call Kbar. I called the dealer and spoke with the service rep and he took full responsibility. It's not supposed to come off. He is actually going to run out to my house after work tonight and check it out for me. Thanks!
    DRobinson, PaDave, rtgt and 8 others like this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:16 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigK View Post
    Good call Kbar. I called the dealer and spoke with the service rep and he took full responsibility. It's not supposed to come off. He is actually going to run out to my house after work tonight and check it out for me. Thanks!
    Just curious, in what part of Michigan are you located? I don't need the specific city for confidentiality reasons, just SE, SW, NE, NW, Central, UP, etc. would be adequate......I am wondering which dealer or dealer group you are dealing with..........

Thanks.....
    rtgt, jdforever, jdmich and 3 others like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Just curious, in what part of Michigan are you located? I don't need the specific city for confidentiality reasons, just SE, SW, NE, NW, Central, UP, etc. would be adequate......I am wondering which dealer or dealer group you are dealing with..........

Thanks.....
    Sulley I'm dealing with Tri County Equipment located in Birch Run, Mi.
    rtgt, jdforever, jdmich and 2 others like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    As you probably found out, there's a locking collar on the PTO shaft that locks onto the stub shaft of the transmission. Removing the PTO shaft allows better access to the trans filter to remove it. Most likely they didn't give the shaft a good tug when they put it back on after the filter change. Good thing you caught it before some real damage happened.
    glc, etcallhome, rtgt and 8 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(07-11-2019)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:34 PM
    Thanks
    I am making a place my PTO Shaft on my rear equipment on my 4044M to fall into if it breaks or comes apart on my big 7 1/2 ft rear snow blower. I dropped one like your in my water tender. I was so glad the yoke just pulled out and the rear dropped. I knew it would happen and told the Fire People I will wheel hop on that hill and drop a drive shaft getting your water up that steep loose hill. It happen on the 3rd trip and I called a welder I knew near the fire and we welded the yoke back in. In 8 years I broke 2 drive lines pulling the yokes out but they were welded back in. That is the only damage or break down I ever had with it.
    glc, Herminator, PJR832 and 3 others like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JD4044M For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman†(07-11-2019)

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Thanks
    I'm glad you figured out what your problem was...but $250 for a 50hr service!!! Under warranty or not, good lawrd!!!
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    I'm glad you figured out what your problem was...but $250 for a 50hr service!!! Under warranty or not, good lawrd!!!
    I don't think that is out of line if it involved any fluid/filter changes.
    jdforever, kylew and JD4044M like this.
    Join me in boycotting anti-American Nike

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Maphesto View Post
    I don't think that is out of line if it involved any fluid/filter changes.
    Yes...it included fluid and filter changes.

The service tech came out last night and everything is A-Okay! So I offered the man a cold beer and we sat and chatted a bit and enjoyed a brew.
    Last edited by BigK; 07-11-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    jdforever, kylew and JD4044M like this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast