Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Backing up with a 1025r

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:53 AM
    Thanks

Backing up with a 1025r

I know that this may come under the category of dumb questions, but how are you guys that have snowblowers on your 3 pt. hitches doing all that backing up? I put a 2" receiver on the top of my bucket and a trailer hitch in it to move trailers around the property. Backing up with a trailer on the bucket (The backhoe or post hole auger is on the rear) is a lesson in contortions. Is there some way of backing up, an after market lever or something that makes it easier. Mirrors would only get broken going between the trees here. Any ideas?
    Last edited by NotYourGrandfathersDeere; 07-17-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    greenharley likes this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:05 AM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    If your saying what I think you are:

trailer hooked to Bucket on FEL?

You gotta think way ahead of the turn..Its weird. You'll end up fouled the first few times.

I tow trailers daily for work and do some of my best work in reverse...Its strange when I have no trailer and tend to turn the wrong way out of habbit in reverse
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:44 PM
    Thanks
    I find that I can turn 1/4 of the way to the right and comfortably sit sideways on the seat, both feet on the right side of the station, and working the reverse pedal with my left foot.

A steering wheel spinner is a must-have.

I also do have a 2" receiver on my fork frame, and moving trailers around with it can be a humbling task. Practice, practice, practice. It's even harder when I use the ball on the end of one of the forks, due to the longer moment arm.
    Last edited by MacCool; 07-17-2019 at 10:06 PM.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    I find that I can turn 1/4 of the way to the right and comfortably sit sideways on the seat, both feet on the right side of the station, and working the reverse pedal with my left foot.

A steering wheel spinner is a must-have.

I also do have a 2" receiver on my fork frame, and moving trailers around with it can be a humbling task. Practice, practice, practice. It's even harder when I use the ball on the end of one of the forks, due to the longer moment arm.
    I'll give both of those suggestions a try, thanks
    etcallhome likes this.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,086 Times in 2,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    If your saying what I think you are:

trailer hooked to Bucket on FEL?

You gotta think way ahead of the turn..Its weird. You'll end up fouled the first few times.

I tow trailers daily for work and do some of my best work in reverse...Its strange when I have no trailer and tend to turn the wrong way out of habbit in reverse
    So true!

Even without a trailer - I can’t park my pickup in a parking space worth a darn going forward - need my mirrors to get it right.
    56Nine and bvbearcat like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    I get your question is partly about backing up in general. However, you were talking about a trailer on the front of the tractor, why are you backing up? I have a front hitch for my X585 and I push tractors around the property all the time. The only reason I back up with a trailer on the front is when I am initially pulling it away from the fence line where I park most of them. Once clear of the fence line, I push them (me going forward and the trailer backwards) to where I am going. It is so much easier in terms of not only not trying to look behind you all the time and sitting in an odd position as well as being able to see what the trailer is doing. With a little practice, it is very easy to control the trailer even if covering quite a large distance. The trailer doesn't care if it is going forward or backwards.

balrog006 and Treefarmer like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Here's the scenario. I had a tree company in to remove a couple of trees here on the Ponderosa at either end of my 'driveway' about 800 feet apart. It was close quarters to move the tow-able cherry picker they were using with their 2-ton truck so I used the tractor with the trailer hitch on the FEL to move it around. I pulled it around in reverse, and found it fairly difficult because I'm 6'3" and a little overweight. In most cases I do push the trailers around but in this case there wasn't enough room to turn it around so I just pulled it. In case I found a rear mounted snow blower at a reasonable price, I thought that I would first look into how other people were coping with driving these tractors in reverse for long periods.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 05:07 PM
    Thanks
    I think I get it. But the way I see it, the looking backwards is only half of it: a rear mounted mower (I have) is like a (floppy) loader on the rear..BUT a trailer towed from the bucket, add in a semi--that STEERS from the dualies!!! I mow backwards frequently (despite the instructions in the mower manual, not a grass-nazi and its faster) but that seems easier then the nose-tow!!
    etcallhome and theduke like this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, my wife says that I don't communicate well. I wanted to know how other 1025r owners were operating their tractors in reverse when using a rear mounted snowblower. I find it very difficult to stay turned around in the seat and keep the reverse pedal down for extended periods of time.
    I understand how a smaller person could sit 1/4 turn and operate in reverse, but that isn't an option for me. I'm too tall, and I have a bad left knee/hip.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:21 PM
    Thanks
    That is a big part of why they also make a front mounted blower.

Like everything, there are compromises. Rear mounted blowers are much cheaper so that is a pro, however they are not as easy to use. Front blowers are much easier to use but there comes a premium for them. Have you noticed on much larger machines that sometimes the seat will pivot so you sit at an angle? That is so the farmer can better see what is going on behind them.

I am considering getting a rear blower if I end up moving up to the 3025E. It would be my only option because the E machines don't have a mid PTO so rear blower is the only option. I don't think that this will be much of an issue. I have a front blower with my X585 but I rarely use it. With a bigger machine, I would imagine I would use it even less to justify a front blower should I go with a 2025R or some other machine. For how much they want for them, to have it just sitting collecting dust would be a shame. Where I use my blower the most is to clear snow that has slid off my pole barn from the side to help cut down on snow melt that can make its way under the wall. This is a pass or two for 50' or so. Again the cost of the front blower for that is a bit much.

I know this doesn't really answer your question as to if there is some trick to doing this but I don't know that there is a great answer. Maybe mount some form of bracket so you can add a mirror on the ROPS. Other than that there isn't much that can be done to make it easier.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast