Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Joining the SCUT Revolution!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks

Joining the SCUT Revolution!

I had posted on here looking for recommendations on a SCUT or X series and ended up finding a mint 1026r who a guy took my side by side and cash on trade for. Everyone was happy.

The machine has like 377 hours on it, 60d Autoconnect deck and a FEL. What else do I need, rear ballast is probably the first thing on the list eh?

I'm kicking around a rear snowblower and just using the bucket for most of the snow removal. The NorTrac one seems pretty affordable and look pretty well reviewed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Congratulations! I think you’ll really enjoy it!
    jdforever and DanW like this.
    2019 2025r: Galaxy R3+, 60D AutoConnect, 120r loader, 260b backhoe, AP10F 42” forks

1948 Farmall Cub: L-54 snow plow, 193 one bottom plow
    Husqvarna push mower (I forget the model)
    Husqvarna 562XP chainsaw: 24" bar w/ skip tooth, 20” Power Match full comp
    Craftsman 18" chainsaw

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    Definitely rear ballast should be #1 on your 'must have' list. There is a pile of threads here on that issue.

If you're going to be using the loader for snow removal, I suggest getting a pair of Edge Tamers. They help a ton by keeping the bucket from digging into the ground or pavement.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kylew View Post
    Definitely rear ballast should be #1 on your 'must have' list. There is a pile of threads here on that issue.

If you're going to be using the loader for snow removal, I suggest getting a pair of Edge Tamers. They help a ton by keeping the bucket from digging into the ground or pavement.

https://r2manufacturing.com/products/edge-tamer
    I was thinking about these, or the snow edge by Ratchet Rake. Although that has gotten mixed reviews.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 08:34 PM
    Thanks
    Hello, and congratulations. I believe you will be amazed at how much you can do with your new tractor. I don't have much knowledge or history with tractors, I hadn't driven one since bush hogging for my Dad on an Oliver 1250 years ago ... so for me... the 4wd, power steering, small turn radius, and the loader were ... well amazing. Since I can't remember much about my past experience... it is like I'm approaching these new "R"s with fresh eyes.

The experience with them is so different... and so easy ...possibilities are endless almost... that I don't look at them like tractors ... it is like a whole new thing. Kind of like comparing a smart phone to a flip phone. "I still use my flip by the way." It seems like farming and just helping you around your house (with the small ones) has taken a turn in history. I am still new.. but I keep being surprised when I realize ... my tractor can help me do that.

I remember one time...when I went to Sam's Club and wanted to buy a metal cabinet that you put together. The box was too heavy for me to load...but they were willing to put it on my trailer for me. But I told them ... "But you won't be there to unload it when I get home". And then I the lightbulb came on... and I said "would you mind putting it on a pallet on my trailer?" So, my 1025r unloaded it for me when I got home, and now the cabinet sits all shiny in my garage. Just one example of something that wasn't a possibility, becoming a reality. All thanks to "Little John" I call him.

I don't know how much experience with tractors you have had... but if not much like me, then there are lots of episodes with a 1025r on You Tube Channel called "Tractor Time With Tim" he has gotten so popular that he now has a lot of equipment besides his 1025r, but go back a few years and watch some early episodes.

BALLAST
    Ok, I don't have the mower deck. So, I don't know if that would make a difference...but I've learned I need extra weight. I live on rolling land and my rear tires have come off the ground many times...it is very scary. I got the bush hog with mine, and it just stuck out too far in the back, so I got the ballast box to keep my footprint smaller. But (even though the ballast box says quick hitch compatible)...that the lower pins aren't wide enough... you need to buy these bushings...I think this is the kit number LP19969. (I'm so new I don't know how to post a link on GTT yet.) It didn't help enough so I got my dealer to add fluid in my rear tires. That did make a difference. But, since I don't want any more mishaps...I just ordered the single weights for my rear tires.

I'm still learning...but I notice the ballast box still swings too far in my opinion when I get on a slope. I recon I might should tighten the bottom two arms with the toggle bolts.

Anyway, get ready to have a real buddy to help you out with your projects and be safe at the same time!
    bmichael and kylew like this.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhope View Post
    Hello, and congratulations. I believe you will be amazed at how much you can do with your new tractor. I don't have much knowledge or history with tractors, I hadn't driven one since bush hogging for my Dad on an Oliver 1250 years ago ... so for me... the 4wd, power steering, small turn radius, and the loader were ... well amazing. Since I can't remember much about my past experience... it is like I'm approaching these new "R"s with fresh eyes.
    That's funny you say that! I grew up on a farm and started driving tractor at about 7 years old. Pulling the feeder wagon in from the pasture with an Oliver 1650!

And ballast is first on the list as I've been watching the tractor time with Tim episodes a fair bit, I think I'm going to go with a heavy hitch attached to the HF quick hitch vs the ballast box. My land is pretty flat but I will be down in the ditch a fair bit.

Does everyone remove ballast when they're mowing? We'll have pretty sturdy clay but I don't really want to pack it down any worse than it already is.
    jdforever, Tractor Tim and DanW like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bolson32 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (07-19-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:35 PM
    Thanks
    I take off the loader and my ballast box when mowing. I leave the Imatch (quick hitch) on though.
    jdforever and DanW like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    That's funny you say that! I grew up on a farm and started driving tractor at about 7 years old. Pulling the feeder wagon in from the pasture with an Oliver 1650!

And ballast is first on the list as I've been watching the tractor time with Tim episodes a fair bit, I think I'm going to go with a heavy hitch attached to the HF quick hitch vs the ballast box. My land is pretty flat but I will be down in the ditch a fair bit.

Does everyone remove ballast when they're mowing? We'll have pretty sturdy clay but I don't really want to pack it down any worse than it already is.
    I don't know about everyone, but I don't think that you should subject the mower deck to any more weight than necessary. If nothing else at one time or another you are going to forget to drop the deck so it is resting on the ground and try to roll over it to attach it, and bend the castors/brackets. The FEL are easy to take off and don't take long to remount, and although I don't have one, I hear that the Quick Hitch makes putting the ballast pretty quick too. BTW congrats on your new tractor, you are going to wonder why you waited so long to get one.
    2018 JD 1025r, 54" mower deck, backhoe, front-end-loader, Braber Equipment post hole auger, 9 and 12" augers,
    1999 +/- Craftsman lawn tractor, 46" mower deck.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    That's a really good point. The plates on the deck sure don't look tremendously heavy. Granted you're not parking on it, but taking the loader off probably wouldn't hurt either.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post

It was an Oliver 1600 for me! 4 bottom pipe plow. I need to get some pictures of it. My cousin still has it. In the family since it was new in 1963.

Removing ballast when mowing is a good idea, yes.
    jdforever, kylew and Greenhope like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements