Like Tree1Likes

Thread: PTO switch

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks

PTO switch

Good morning All,

I love my 2015 1025R until it comes to the PTO switch and having to pull up on it to back up while mowing. Has anyone come up with a work around for this? Even when I know I have to pull the switch up I still manage to cut the PTO off with reverse.

Other than that the tractor is great!

Thank you in advance,

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,252 Times in 2,560 Posts
    Paul, there’s a bunch of RIO threads here. A quick search will turn up a bunch of good reading.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Yep, plan to keep my 1026R for a long time because it doesn’t have this new and improved safety feature.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    ejb,

Thanks i'll do a quick search. I never have much luck with them .

Diesel,

when I Mow I think to myself. I can't imagine brush hogging, or doing anything that consist of running a PTO and constantly backing up. Not sure how I managed on my 2N lol.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by onehandman View Post
    ejb,

Thanks i'll do a quick search. I never have much luck with them .

Diesel,

when I Mow I think to myself. I can't imagine brush hogging, or doing anything that consist of running a PTO and constantly backing up. Not sure how I managed on my 2N lol.
    It helps when you know what to look for. Anything around disabling the RIO on a 1025 should guide you in the right direction.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    The Reverse Implementation Operation (RIO) is what I think you referred to when you mentioned PTO in your post.

The RIO switch is mounted on the dash and the PTO control is to the left under the seat.

The RIO switch has a really strong love hare relationship on this forum.

I will not disengage (remove) my RIO because I think it is a great safety feature for when I use my roto tiller . . . there is a blind spot behind the tractor . . . so I would prefer to be safe and not sorry.

I can see why people who are mowing their lawn are not in love with the RIO; especially if they back up a lot.

Good luck with your decision.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    One of the very first "improvements" I did on my 1025 was to disable that PIA reverse switch …
    I disabled my switch with a zip-tie under the seat. Easy to do, and no wires to cut …

G
    2013 - JD 1025r, 1952 Ford 8N 60" MMM, H120 FEL, 50" QA Loader Bucket, Home made Bucket Teeth, Titan QA loader fork back frame, Home made 66" Loader QA Snow Plow, Home made Land Plane. Home made loader QA Stump bucket. Home made loader boom pole attachment. Home made Landscape Rake. Modified HF Quick Hitch, Home made 3 point Ballast box. Betsco BX42-S Wood Chipper, Woods 60" Back Blade, 72" Befco Finish Mower. 5' Bush Hog Mower

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 12:07 PM
    Thanks

RIO fix

I tried the zip-tie "fix", but it kept falling off the switch. I'm using the clothes-pin fix now. Get one of the pinch-type clothes pins. After you increase the idle, pull the PTO button out so the mower engages. Pull up on the PTO switch hold it up as you press on the reverse pedal. As you are backing up, insert the clothes pin under the button. This disengages the safety switch. After that, you'll be good. I have many, many (30 some trees I think) things to mow around and had to find something other than remembering to pull the button out each time I went into reverse.
    bama1025r likes this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Auguste View Post
    The Reverse Implementation Operation (RIO) is what I think you referred to when you mentioned PTO in your post.

The RIO switch is mounted on the dash and the PTO control is to the left under the seat.

The RIO switch has a really strong love hare relationship on this forum.

I will not disengage (remove) my RIO because I think it is a great safety feature for when I use my roto tiller . . . there is a blind spot behind the tractor . . . so I would prefer to be safe and not sorry.

I can see why people who are mowing their lawn are not in love with the RIO; especially if they back up a lot.

Good luck with your decision.
    Dealing with it while mowing is bad. Dealing with it while using a front mounted blower is straight up torture. I back up a lot more running the blower than I ever do with the mower, then add in thick gloves and being bundled up to prevent turning into a icicle when the snow blows back on you. Now the RIO is very hard to operate the way intended. In my case the backup switch failed, no way I was going to spend $40 or so fixing a switch I couldn't stand. So I bypassed it.

I do see the value in other stuff like the seat switch.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    08-16-2019 @ 12:00 PM
    Thanks
    Check out post #8 in this thread:
    2015 1025R RIO Bypass PTO switch access

I did this and it works perfectly. The only downside is that when you are running the midmount PTO the dashboard still reports on the rear, but that is no big thing.

Ray_PA did a great job of writing this up, including links to a part on amazon to make it super clean.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast