Thread: x738 vs 1025r give me some input or feedback

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks

x738 vs 1025r give me some input or feedback

ok currently have x738 54 in deck 54 in front blade
    2038r 72 in deck loader 66in tiller front 366 blade
    original plans was when i bought the 2038 i had an offer in on a piece of land in the country with a super nice building on it 10 acres total and was going to move all my toys and tools out there under one roof instead of 3 storage units and a garage( moved to iowa 5 years ago with job change from a farm and lots of buildings
    had a house firre 2 weeks after tractor purchase and 2 days after that the guy pulled the acreage from the realtor
    fast forward insurance didnt cover everything so the acreage piece is out of questions for now so as soon as im done landscaping and leveling the 2038r is going to get sold
    my questions
    i want to be able to have a tiller for gardens and side jobs, mow my yard so do i go with a new x738 and add 3 point and pto or do i step up to 1025r?
    i have a ranger that ill put a front plow on to plow snow with but would like to purchase a blower someday
    thoughts?
    how much more top heavy is the 1025r? than the x738?
    thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cin769 View Post
    ok currently have x738 54 in deck 54 in front blade
    2038r 72 in deck loader 66in tiller front 366 blade
    original plans was when i bought the 2038 i had an offer in on a piece of land in the country with a super nice building on it 10 acres total and was going to move all my toys and tools out there under one roof instead of 3 storage units and a garage( moved to iowa 5 years ago with job change from a farm and lots of buildings
    had a house firre 2 weeks after tractor purchase and 2 days after that the guy pulled the acreage from the realtor
    fast forward insurance didnt cover everything so the acreage piece is out of questions for now so as soon as im done landscaping and leveling the 2038r is going to get sold
    my questions
    i want to be able to have a tiller for gardens and side jobs, mow my yard so do i go with a new x738 and add 3 point and pto or do i step up to 1025r?
    i have a ranger that ill put a front plow on to plow snow with but would like to purchase a blower someday
    thoughts?
    how much more top heavy is the 1025r? than the x738?
    thanks
    The FEL is one of those things that once you have one and start using it, you will find it is hard to give up. You could do a CTC FEL on the X738 but it is no where as capable as a 1025R with the OEM FEL. Really it comes down to what you want to do with it. Doing side jobs of tilling can quickly turn into a little more where a FEL would help. Doing mulch in the spring to leveling out a yard.

If all you were ever going to do is mow and tiller work a X738 is fine, I would consider a X739 personally if you have trees 4ws is better. It is just that I think you are going to run into turning down more side jobs without a FEL and depending on how much you are willing to do side jobs, you may find it will quickly pay for the larger machine and FEL.

When you say you have a ranger with front plow. I don't have one and have never used one. Is that going to be like an ATV plow? I ask because I tried that. ATV plow so I could leave the blower on my X585. That was a huge mistake. It isn't hard to go back and forth between the blade and blower being it is shaft drive. I did own both but when comparing the plowing job of the ATV with gravity for down pressure vs the hydraulic down pressure it was night and day. You mentioned wanting to get a blower at some point. I assume that is for the X738/1025R. Well the blower is the most expensive part and already gets you the quick hitch. I want to say if you have the quick hitch it is only another $500-600 or so for the blade and then add hydraulic pivot cylinder. If the Ranger has hydraulics on the plow then it might be a wash but if it works off a front winch like my ATV plow they suck compared to other options. Granted better than shoveling but just barely.

As far as CG, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference. Fluid fill the tires on a 1025R and don't try and mow with the FEL on. You will be fine unless on some crazy steep ground.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    ive always had a loader on a tractor since i was a kid sold my 4720 with loader when i moved here so i have gone without for a few years i just dont want to have apiece of equipment sit around not getting used more than a few hours a year and make payments on it(tractor i owe a little on yet x738 paid for 2015 model) id rather combine right now and payment owed should be less than current
    for the ranger it is elc hyd heavy duty blade a buddy has one and cleans a lot of driveways with it. it it jsut so must faster roading it than the tractor

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks
    I was a in similar boat as you. I moved to a 1.5 acre lot that has some landscaping to do. And while I haven't actually used it much yet, I found a used 1026r with the 60" drive over deck and I'm going that route. If you're going new, isn't a x738 the same or more once you add 3pt, rear PTO, etc? Seems like a no brainer to me, just get the 1025r and be done with it. But I'm getting my 1026r delivered on Saturday so I'll let you know how it's working out for me :D

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    ive thought about going 1026 but would if buy used wqould like some kind of warranty

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:28 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I was a in similar boat as you. I moved to a 1.5 acre lot that has some landscaping to do. And while I haven't actually used it much yet, I found a used 1026r with the 60" drive over deck and I'm going that route. If you're going new, isn't a x738 the same or more once you add 3pt, rear PTO, etc? Seems like a no brainer to me, just get the 1025r and be done with it. But I'm getting my 1026r delivered on Saturday so I'll let you know how it's working out for me :D
    It depends. Back when you could get the 45 series FEL for the X series, if you equipped a X738 with rear PTO, 3PT and FEL it was cheaper to get a 1026R. I would say if you were looking at both machines without a FEL they are probably still really close in price. I would never buy a 1 series without a FEL though. Not only do I use the heck out of a FEL, resale would be tough without one on a 1 series.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-23-2019 @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    A church next to where I lived had a seriously hilly backyard. Pastor mowed it with an X something, said he never felt unsafe. I think my 1025R is a bit tippy; I think I'd only go up and down on that property and might have trouble turning at the top or bottom. Lots of topics here on that subject, and I'm finally good with mowing my own property in the easiest way (kept the green side up!). So, don't cut with the loader or 3pt. stuff on, ROPS up and belt on, loaded tires help a lot (I have fluid filled) and spacers on the rear if you think you need them ($$$). 4WD also helps a lot in places, but it sucks to turn and will chew up your yard over time.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 07:59 AM
    Thanks
    Finally got my tractor "delivered" and mowed today. I freaking love that 1026r. Hauls ass, cuts well. And I couldn't believe how great the turning radius is.
    chex313 likes this.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-10-2019 @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    Isn’t a X738 a gas engine. The 1 series is diesel. Big difference in weight and capability in base form. Yes you can “build up” the X738 but cost soon exceeds the 1 series. The x748 is diesel if I’m not mistaken. Front loader capability is essentially absent on the x738 compared to the 1023/1025.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    I was briefly faced with that question...700 series vs 1 series but quickly felt that I got a lot more equipment for proportionately less money with the SCUT. Additionally, I perceive that the resale value of a 1 series would be potentially better, meaning I'd be recouping more of my expense that with the smaller tractor.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast