Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 1025R Rear and Front Ballast Amount Survey

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks

1025R Rear and Front Ballast Amount Survey

I am currently looking at different ballast options for 1025R, such as the Heavy Hitch Offset bracket or the Heavy Hitch Dual Weight Bracket and suitcase weights.

1. I am curious what is the maximum weight you have used on the rear 3 point hitch and how much rear tire/wheel weight in lbs when using front attachments such as the FEL?

2. How much front ballast weight have you used for rear attachments?

I am trying to determine how much weight that I should buy. I know the loader owners manual states a recommended ballast weight, but I am curious if people have been using more or less weight then what is specified in the manual. I have been watching a lot of videos on Tractor Time with Tim and noticed many videos that he has used (8) 70 lbs weights on rear 3 point hitch and has weight on rear wheels and sometimes still has people standing on the ballast to lift heavy items.
    Last edited by Stussy1035; 08-02-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    jdforever and Tractor Tim like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stussy1035 View Post
    I am currently looking at different ballast options for 1025R, such as the Heavy Hitch Offset bracket or the Heavy Hitch Dual Weight Bracket and suitcase weights.

1. I am curious what is the maximum weight you have used on the rear 3 point hitch and how much rear tire/wheel weight in lbs when using front attachments such as the FEL?

2. How much front ballast weight have you used for rear attachments?

I am trying to determine how much weight that I should buy. I know the loader owners manual states a recommended ballast weight, but I am curious if people have been using more or less weight then what is specified in the manual. I have been watching a lot of videos on Tractor Time with Tim and noticed many videos that he has used (8) 70 lbs weights on rear 3 point hitch and has weight on rear wheels and sometimes still has people standing on the ballast to lift heavy items.
    I don’t have any 3-pt implements heavy enough that front ballast is required. The most ground-engaging that I do is with a pine straw rake.

I do have an FEL with bucket and pallet forks, so rear ballast is occasionally necessary. I saw those charts when I scanned through the operators manual but found them to be too complicated. These tractors are very versatile ... huge variety of applications. Different people have a variety of different needs, but my needs are simple. I elected to use a ballast box for $275 instead of $1200 worth of rack and weights, so my rear ballast condition is either 650 lbs, or zero. Some people need the flexibility of suitcase weights...I don’t, and like the ability to spur-of-the-moment just back the iMatch up to the ballast box and go. My little tractor’s FEL capacity is such that it won’t lift anything heavy enough that 650 lbs of rear ballast isn’t enough.

If my tractor use included heavy 3-pt attachments in addition to FEL loads close to the maximum, then I’d surely have to bite the bullet and get $500 worth of front/rear weight racks and about $750 worth of suitcase weights. Just seems like a lot of effort and a lot of money that, fortunately, I don’t have to spend. Yet.

I drive this thing around my yard a lot and wanted to limit the weight I carry (limit the tire marks and possible sprinkler head damage) to the times only when it’s necessary, so I decided to forego wheel weights and filled tires.
    Last edited by MacCool; 08-03-2019 at 05:50 AM.
    mark02tj, jdforever, kylew and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I have my rear tires filled with RV antifreeze and 2 sets of 50lbs wheel weights. I have 8 42lbs suitcase weights that I can put on the 3pt. I have a box blade that I added a concrete block to that I use for heavy loader work.

I have put 8 42lbs suitcase weights on the front when using my rear rotary cutter .
    PJR832, kylew and Dr Kubar like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks
    When doing FEL work, use 385lb box blade with 4x42lb suitcase weight in the back. Have quick hitch too. It’s about 550lbs total but it is really far back. Also have filled tires and wheel weights. Definitely feels like more than enough - I’ve not been able to pick up anything that made that setup feel uncomfortable.

If I need front ballast i just keep the loader on.
    PJR832, kylew and Toughsox like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ejb69 View Post
    I have my rear tires filled with RV antifreeze and 2 sets of 50lbs wheel weights. I have 8 42lbs suitcase weights that I can put on the 3pt. I have a box blade that I added a concrete block to that I use for heavy loader work.

I have put 8 42lbs suitcase weights on the front when using my rear rotary cutter .
    I am running the same setup as Eric, except for the 50 lb wheel weights
    PJR832 and kylew like this.
    2016 X739, 2018 1025R, 60HC mmm Auto Conn, FEL, BH, Frontier Forks, Woods finish mower, CF Box Blade, Taylor Way TP 923 Rotary Tiller, County Line Landscape Rake, County Line Auger, Ratchet Rake, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks and Differential Pedal, and a few home-made contraptions to attach.
    Refugee from the Kingdom of Orange Tractors

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Kubar For This Useful Post:

justinb†(08-11-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:25 PM
    Thanks

1025R Rear and Front Ballast Amount Survey

For heavy loader work I run eight 70 lb weights and up to eight 42 lb weights on my heavy hitch weight bracket. I say up to because depending on what Iím picking up I adjust the rear ballast. I do not have filled tires or rear wheel weights.

For front ballast I use the heavy hitch front weight bracket and run eight 42 lb weights when I have my aerator, bagger, tiller or drop spreader on the 3pt. If I am hauling water on my hitch carrier I will put whatever weights are closer. Last time it was five 70 lb weights, but Iíve used eight 42 lb weights as well.

I used to use the John Deere front weight bracket which holds seven weights, but my wife and kids gave me the heavy hitch bracket for Fatherís Day. It holds eight weights and carries them a bit higher off the ground allowing the 70 lb weights to be used on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by cheesetrain; 08-03-2019 at 09:00 AM.
    Tractor Tim, PJR832, kylew and 1 others like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:18 PM
    Thanks
    The amount of ballast needed has been discussed sooo much on this forum.

It seems like your question is which Heavy Hitch to buy, not how much ballast??!!

IMO, if you buy a Heavy Hitch, buy the dual weight bracket model, you will not be sorry. If you use 42 lb. suitcase weights, this will enable you to be able to use enough weights to get the maximum recommended 601 lb. of ballast when using the FEL at full capacity (notice, the 601 lbs. of recommended ballast also requires that the rear tires are filled). You can use up to 16 suit case weights, which you will never need that many on a 1 series.

Considering the Heavy Hitch weighs 60 lbs. and if you have an I-Match quick hitch, which is about 50 lbs. This gives you 110 lbs. of ballast already, so you need approx. another 490 lb. of ballast. 12 - 42 lb. suitcase weights are 504 lb. so you will never need more than 12 - 42 lb. suitcase weights if you have an I-Match quick hitch when using the Heavy Hitch dual weight bracket. Now, if you use 70 lb. suitcase weights, then obviously you will only need 7 - 70 lb. weights so then the standard Offset Heavy Hitch will suffice.

Now, the Heavy Hitch weight bracket is really nice, I have one, but you will need to buy 12 - 42 lb. suitcase weights which is not cheap. I had many 42 lb. weights, so the weights were not an issue for me which made the Heavy Hitch the no brainer way to go. By the way, I have a JD ballast box also and never use the ballast box anymore. I use the receiver on my Heavy Hitch all the time so having an attachment that allows me to use ballast when needed and have the versatility to have the receiver is nice. I have my Heavy Hitch on my tractor all the time with a ball or flat receiver installed.

Another Option: If you have a BH, all you need to do is attach the BH for ballast. The BH is heavy enough to ballast anything the FEL can lift.

Economical Option: If you are looking for the most economical way to get ballast, then the ballast box is the way to go, if you do not have a BH.

All of this said, when using the FEL, put ballast on the tractor and make sure you have enough before starting the job because you may not get a second chance. If in doubt, put the maximum recommended ballast on the 3 point.

Concerning rear attachments. Well, if you hang the 600 lb. ballast box on the 3 point, the tractor will steer really easy, if you know what I mean.

Options for front ballast:
    1. Attach the FEL. This will be enough ballast for anything the tractor can lift on the 3 point.
    2. If you do not have a front blade or snow blower, you can hang 4 - 42 lb. suitcase weights on the front of the tractor which would marginally be enough, depending on what you are using on the 3 point, or JD makes a front weight bracket that they recommend to use. https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...-BLV10623.html This weight bracket allows for 7 suitcase weights. (you cannot use the JD weight bracket if you have a front blade or snowblower unless you want to unbolt the front hitch bracket to use the weight bracket) I understand if you do not use the weight bracket, the suitcase weights are really close to the grill of the tractor.
    3. If you have a front blade or snow blower, then buy the Heavy Hitch front weight bracket. This weight bracket utilizes the same attaching brackets that the blade/blower front hitch uses. If you do not have the JD attaching brackets that are a part of the blade/blower front hitch, you can buy the complete kit from Heavy Hitch which includes the attaching brackets. https://heavyhitch.com/product/quick...eight-bracket/ The Heavy Hitch front weight bracket enables using 8 - 42 lb. suitcase weights on the front. I have a Heavy Hitch front weight bracket. It is really slick and it can be easily removed when not using it. When I use my hydraulic lift MCS, I use all 8 on the front. Again, make sure you have enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Heavy Hitch.JPG Ballast Weight.jpg 20151017_162659.jpg
    arlen, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Thanks
    Ray_PA sure did a great job of summing it all up. I can't add anything he hasn't already stated in terms of what your options are.

As to your survey, my response is:

Dual Row Heavy Hitch Receiver

16*42 pound suitcase weights (no imatch)

Both rear tires filled with washer fluid, just under 10 gallons each

While the most expensive form of ballast, I went with suitcase weights as I also have a number of rear implements that require front ballast. I also have the Heavy Hitch front weight hanger mount that allows for 8*42 pound suitcase weights---I'm not sure if the 70 pound weights will fit on it. I went with the 42 pound weights for ease of handling and I'm not getting any younger.

I also have the Heavy Hitch weight receiver storage cart. I can mount/dismount the dual weight receiver with all 16*42 pound suitcase weights in place with ease. It also make it a lot easier and quicker to move them, when necessary.
    Ray_PA, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 08:22 PM
    Thanks
    Eight 42lb suitcase weights on a heavy hitch on a quick hitch, which is 336 + 55 + 61 = 450lbs. This is very good ballast and I'm happy with it. It suites my needs for most everything I do. But I can feel that another 200ish pounds would be helpful with really heavy loader work. If I could do it over again, I would have bought the offset bracket and probably used (4) 72s and (4) 42s. The heavy hitch makes the weight very low profile and easy to maneuver. I have the cart for the heavy hitch to make it super easy to use. I think if I didn't have the cart, laziness would win quite often and I wouldn't use the weights when I should.

Alternate weight is a the box blade on the quick hitch (395 + 61 = 456lbs). I believe this may functionally be "more" ballast since the weight is further back compared to the heavy hitch. You get more leverage out of that so what is basically the same weight is more effective. The downside of this, is the box blade is a massive honking hunk of steel sticking way out back far and wide. It makes maneuvering much more complicated in tight spaces. And if you're not paying attention, it will destroy anything you swing it into.

When I'm using the custom loader mounted snow plow, I will put 5 of the suitcase weights up on the front bumper to help with steering authority. I also do this if I'm using the box blade without the loader attached, which can make the front end a bit loose.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-09-2019 @ 08:41 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    The amount of ballast needed has been discussed sooo much on this forum.

It seems like your question is which Heavy Hitch to buy, not how much ballast??!!
    Ray_PA, thanks for the very long helpful post. Can you please provide some of the good ballast discussions. I was searching on the Sub Compact and did not see much about ballast specific to the 1025R.

Anything that I have read about ballast on this forum and others have been more basic, not very specific. I have read comments such as I either us nothing or 600lbs, or what feels right, or if it is a little tipsy, then I add more. Some of these statements might is more shoot from the hip answers, or maybe based on experience. Since I am new and do not have much experience with tractors, which is the reason I am looking for guidance, or any other techniques people have used to determine the proper ballast. I am looking to purchase ballast right the first time so I do not have an accident or do not need to buy a different setup for the future because I need more ballast.

To answer your question, my main question is how much ballast do I need which would help me pick which Heavy Hitch to buy. I was leaning towards the dual weight bracket. I contact Heavy Hitch and it was recommended to me just an offset bracket will be good for the 1025R and a dual weight would be too much. Heavy Hitch offers a Dual Receiver Hitch with an offset option for such items with baskets that can be mounted on top etc.

But I was still concerned that the single offset might not be enough. (8) * 70lbs = 560lbs. Offset Bracket = 55lbs. Total weight is 615lbs which is near the minimum ballast requirements stated in the 120R manual that would include fluid filled tires. Note that the manual does say minimum ballast. This was the reason I was trying to get an idea what others with a 1025R have been usingfor ballast, how much weight and if they think they need more.

thank you everyone that has provided feedback with the amount of ballast that you have been using.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast