How Multch Kit effected my 1023E: Normal?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: How Multch Kit effected my 1023E: Normal?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks

How Multch Kit effected my 1023E: Normal?

So, at the beginning of this season, I installed the recommended John Deere Multch kit on my Autoconnect 60D. Overall, I have been impressed with how fine the multch kit cuts the grass as has been mentioned in other threads. One thing I have noticed is that I have to set the throttle RPM to wide open, and if the I am cutting more than an inch of grass, I have to slow down. Before the multch kit, I did not have to set the throttle wide open, and could mow taller grass without the mower bogging down. My question is this normal? My tractor has ~110 hours on it.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill56 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:01 PM
    Thanks
    I have the mulch kit on my 54" deck connected to an X754. I always mow WOT. I also try not to mow if there is any moisture on the grass. The only time I slow down is when the grass is tall, say cutting more tha an inch, and the deck itself is due for a cleaning.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk
    Bill56 likes this.
    X748 - Curtis cab; X758 - 54" mower; X754 - 54" mower; 1025 TLB
    48" Berco Snowblower, 647 tiller, Cyclone vac, 60" 7-Iron deck

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    I know itís just a lowly X500 but Iíve had the factory mulch kit since new and of course always mow WOT. I have never experienced the mulching blades bogging down the engine even when mowing grass that is 6-8 inches tall.

I try to mow when the grass is dry but that isnít always possible. The only issue with mulching wet grass is it sticks under the mower deck.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    I have a 2025R with a 60" deck and mulch kit and I agree with the others, it has to be real tall and thick before mine bogs down at all.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:34 AM
    Thanks
    The other factor is what you are moving. Unfortunately, in my yard, the weeds spread throughout the summer. The weed variety I have grows with greater density than the lawn itself. So there's more work for the tractor later in the summer compared the beginning, all else equal.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2015 1025R w/ H120 Loader, 60D MMM AutoConnect, 54" QH Snowblower & Titan Pallet Forks

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:06 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,545 Times in 1,426 Posts
    The mulch kit really is forcing the blades to cut and re-cut and re-cut the same materials, verses simply cutting them and discharging them. I could see how the load would be greater simply because you aren't discharging the volume you have cut and you continue to cut it until you pass over the area.

I always mow at WOT, it produces the best result

I always mow with Gator Blades and it produces far smaller clippings which prevent the windrow effect from happening

I always mow with the chute deflector up, as it provides a better wide discharge of the clippings which means less thatch, better appearing result, etc.

Yes, mowing with the chute deflector up adds danger and its also important to prevent clippings from getting in flower beds, etc. My mower has a foot operated door which you can close over the discharge area of the deck to make it a mulching deck (temporarily) and to prevent blowing the clippings where you don't want them. As soon as you are past the flower bed, hot tub, swimming pool or the money trees growing money, then the door opens back up and the clippings resume exiting the deck discharge area.

Often, you need to try different approaches and methods to see if you get the results you are seeking. Also, make sure to keep the underside of the deck clean as the grass clumps start to accumulate, you drastically reduce the work area for the clippings to be cut over and over. When I have seen enough load to notice a reduction in engine speed, its usually because the mower is trying to handle more grass than it has room to do so, because of the grass being thick, tall, damp or wet and of course, the deck being plugged up with clumps...........

Exmark Lazer Z X-Series OCDC Chute Review - YouTube

Bcross and Bill56 like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 638 Posts
    With no offense intended, when you installed the mulch kit did all the blades get put back on right side up? On some decks, it's pretty easy to absentmindedly reinstall one or all the blades upside-down. The deck will still cut grass, but there is a noticeable difference in performance. At least there was for this guy I know.
    jbfrancis3, PJR832 and kylew like this.
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-14-2019 @ 09:37 PM
    Thanks
    I mowed with mine upside down for a year. It actually mulched pretty good.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60Ē Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:11 PM
    Thanks
    So which way are the blades supposed to be? Probably a good idea to shed some light on this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:48 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 12dbsinad View Post
    So which way are the blades supposed to be? Probably a good idea to shed some light on this.
    The flat side should always go towards the ground and the beveled side should go towards the tractor. If there is an up-swept shape to the end of the blade that needs to go towards the tractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blade_orient.jpg
    BigJim55, PJR832, kylew and 1 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast