1023e oil change!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 1023e oil change!!

  1. Top | #1
    Bill56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    1023e oil change!!

    There's been a lot of discussion on when perform the first oil change on our 1023e/1025r/1026r/ so I was thinking when SHOULD we get that first oil change out of the way? Tractor Tim stated in one of his video's that he split the difference of 50 hrs/100hrs and got his done at 75. Some say do it at 50, others say wait till 200hrs. I'm putting 15w-40 JD oil that my dealer gave me when I bought the tractor. So what do you folks think?
    Tractor Tim likes this.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    120R FEL Thanks to my GTT Friends!

    With overtime money more to come!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:45 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    9,989
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,245 Posts
    Going back to the earliest 1023E Owner's Manual in 2011 it lists the first engine oil/filter change at 200 hrs. However, it also lists that the engine oil/filter should be changed annually if used less than 200 hrs per year.

    One of the discussions over the years has been what oil do you put in when doing the annual oil change if it takes you several years to get to 200 hrs?

    I've had my tractor 7 years and I'm still not at 200 hrs. It took about 4 years to reach 100 hrs. Prior to 100 hrs. I changed the oil at the same time every year and used JD Break-in Plus oil. Once I hit 100 hrs, I then switched to JD 0W-40 full synthetic (mainly for easier cold weather starts).
    Tomfive, kylew and Bill56 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

    Bill56 (08-05-2019)

  5. Top | #3
    Tractor Tim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:43 PM
    Location
    Lebanon, Indiana
    Posts
    1,481
    Thanks
    634
    Thanked 779 Times in 336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill56 View Post
    There's been a lot of discussion on when perform the first oil change on our 1023e/1025r/1026r/ so I was thinking when SHOULD we get that first oil change out of the way? Tractor Tim stated in one of his video's that he split the difference of 50 hrs/100hrs and got his done at 75. Some say do it at 50, others say wait till 200hrs. I'm putting 15w-40 JD oil that my dealer gave me when I bought the tractor. So what do you folks think?
    You won’t hurt your engine by changing the oil too often!

    Having said that, the manual states 200 hrs.
    It no longer mentions any of the confusion about break in oil, etc.

    Tim
    Tomfive, Ray_PA, Catfishin and 2 others like this.
    (See Tractor Time with Tim's main YouTube channel page)
    Tractor Time with Tim Web site
    Owned:
    2018 Deere 1025R

    Sponsored (subsidized, loaner, etc):
    Ventrac 4500
    Case CX37C
    Deere 5075e
    Deere 2038r
    Deere Gator 835M HVAC

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tractor Tim For This Useful Post:

    Bill56 (08-05-2019)

  7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  8. Top | #4
    Bill56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Pulled the oil and filter after work last night and put in some fresh JD 15w-40. Figured I'd use non synthetic for the first one to give that little engine a chance to break in a little more while pushing snow/hauling wood/ect this winter then come spring I'll throw the synthetic to her! Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Bill56; 08-06-2019 at 05:33 AM.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    120R FEL Thanks to my GTT Friends!

    With overtime money more to come!

  9. Top | #5
    MacCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Location
    Northern Minnesota
    Posts
    464
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill56 View Post
    There's been a lot of discussion on when perform the first oil change on our 1023e/1025r/1026r/ so I was thinking when SHOULD we get that first oil change out of the way? Tractor Tim stated in one of his video's that he split the difference of 50 hrs/100hrs and got his done at 75. Some say do it at 50, others say wait till 200hrs. I'm putting 15w-40 JD oil that my dealer gave me when I bought the tractor. So what do you folks think?

    Heh...those "others" include John Deere and Yanmar. Of course...John Deere also recommends John Deere filters, which are (notoriously) made by Fram, so....

    So much voodoo surrounding oil and vehicle oil changes. I like reading Bob is the Oil Guy. He at least bring some degree of consistency to the argument.
    Bill56 likes this.

  10. Top | #6
    Bill56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    JD is what has been confusing to me... The manual will say one thing, Dealership another. In my personal vehicles I usually pull the oil out of it when its new at around 1500 miles then use whatever oil I'm planning on using from then on with absolutely no problems. And I hear ya on JD stuff. Most OEM stuff, autos and other machinery alike, is usually made by someone else. I work in a truck manufacturing factory and even tho our products have the company name on them there's usually a vendor involved.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    120R FEL Thanks to my GTT Friends!

    With overtime money more to come!

  11. Top | #7
    Bill56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    Heh...those "others" include John Deere and Yanmar. Of course...John Deere also recommends John Deere filters, which are (notoriously) made by Fram, so....

    So much voodoo surrounding oil and vehicle oil changes. I like reading Bob is the Oil Guy. He at least bring some degree of consistency to the argument.
    JD is what has been confusing to me... The manual will say one thing, Dealership another. In my personal vehicles I usually pull the oil out of it when its new at around 1500 miles then use whatever oil I'm planning on using from then on with absolutely no problems. And I hear ya on JD stuff. Most OEM stuff, autos and other machinery alike, is usually made by someone else. I work in a truck manufacturing factory and even tho our products have the company name on them there's usually a vendor involved.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    120R FEL Thanks to my GTT Friends!

    With overtime money more to come!

  12. Top | #8
    Ray_PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 PM
    Location
    North of Harrisburg, PA
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanks
    138
    Thanked 558 Times in 336 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill56 View Post
    Pulled the oil and filter after work last night and put in some fresh JD 15w-40. Figured I'd use non synthetic for the first one to give that little engine a chance to break in a little more while pushing snow/hauling wood/ect this winter then come spring I'll throw the synthetic to her! Thanks guys!
    That will work!!!

    The oil change saga has been discussed Ad nauseam on this forum. That said, as Jgayman said, the operators manual has never said to change the engine oil at 50 hours, it has always been 200 hours or annually, which ever is less. It was the optional technical manual that mentioned the infamous "break-in oil" in the engine and this manual said to run the break-in oil for 100 hours.

    This optional technical manual also mentions that ALL new and rebuilt engines are delivered with break-in oil. I question this statement, but even if it is true, it is irrelevant because even the technical manual says to use JD Plus 50 after the break-in period.

    Also, it must be said, this chart that is in the JD Technical Manual also lists CC, CD and CE oils to be used if break-in oil is not available. FYI....these classifications of oil have been obsolete for years. My point, this info in the technical manual must be read in context. It simply says, new or rebuilt engines are delivered with break-in oil and after break-in (100 hours), refill with Plus 50.

    So, does your engine have to have break-in oil in it after you get the tractor, unequivocally no!! There isn't an engine built in the last 10 years that is not broken in when it is put in the vehicle. They are run on a dyno and broken in there before they are ever installed in the vehicle.

    And....just how long does it take to break-in an engine, about 1/2 hour of running, that's it. There has been, and still is, a serious misunderstanding of what "breaking-in" an engine actually means. It never has been and still isn't about breaking in piston rings, it is about breaking in the camshaft and lifters/followers if the engine has flat tappet lifters, and breaking in the camshaft and lifter/followers happens in the first 1/2 hour of running after assembly. If the engine has roller lifters, then break-in of the camshaft is not needed. This is the reason for assembly lube of break-in oil. The assembly lube of break-in oil has a zinc additive in it which provides a zinc coating on the camshaft lobes.

    So, does the Yanmar engines used in the 1025R have flat tappet or roller lifter camshaft followers. They have flat tappet, so they did need to be broken in, but this is done in the first 1/2 hour of running on the dyno.

    So, fill it up and keep it full of good quality oil of the correct viscosity and you will be fine. Engine problems are rare in today's engine world and when they do happen, it is rarely due to incorrect lubrication, albeit, it could have been caused by lack of lubrication.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1025R Break In Oil statement.JPG  
    Bcross likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

    Bill56 (08-06-2019)

  14. Top | #9
    Bill56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:55 PM
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    79
    Thanks
    27
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    That will work!!!

    The oil change saga has been discussed Ad nauseam on this forum. That said, as Jgayman said, the operators manual has never said to change the engine oil at 50 hours, it has always been 200 hours or annually, which ever is less. It was the optional technical manual that mentioned the infamous "break-in oil" in the engine and this manual said to run the break-in oil for 100 hours.

    This optional technical manual also mentions that ALL new and rebuilt engines are delivered with break-in oil. I question this statement, but even if it is true, it is irrelevant because even the technical manual says to use JD Plus 50 after the break-in period.

    Also, it must be said, this chart that is in the JD Technical Manual also lists CC, CD and CE oils to be used if break-in oil is not available. FYI....these classifications of oil have been obsolete for years. My point, this info in the technical manual must be read in context. It simply says, new or rebuilt engines are delivered with break-in oil and after break-in (100 hours), refill with Plus 50.

    So, does your engine have to have break-in oil in it after you get the tractor, unequivocally no!! There isn't an engine built in the last 10 years that is not broken in when it is put in the vehicle. They are run on a dyno and broken in there before they are ever installed in the vehicle.

    And....just how long does it take to break-in an engine, about 1/2 hour of running, that's it. There has been, and still is, a serious misunderstanding of what "breaking-in" an engine actually means. It never has been and still isn't about breaking in piston rings, it is about breaking in the camshaft and lifters/followers if the engine has flat tappet lifters, and breaking in the camshaft and lifter/followers happens in the first 1/2 hour of running after assembly. If the engine has roller lifters, then break-in of the camshaft is not needed. This is the reason for assembly lube of break-in oil. The assembly lube of break-in oil has a zinc additive in it which provides a zinc coating on the camshaft lobes.

    So, does the Yanmar engines used in the 1025R have flat tappet or roller lifter camshaft followers. They have flat tappet, so they did need to be broken in, but this is done in the first 1/2 hour of running on the dyno.

    So, fill it up and keep it full of good quality oil of the correct viscosity and you will be fine. Engine problems are rare in today's engine world and when they do happen, it is rarely due to incorrect lubrication, albeit, it could have been caused by lack of lubrication.
    My thoughts exactly.When our truck is built, it comes off the assembly line straight onto the dyno where the engine is run up to operating temperature under a load and several other engine checks are performed. This is the first newer small diesel I've ever owned and between the owners manual, dealer, being OCD and YouTube stuff I wanted to make sure! I really appreciate all the feed back!
    Ray_PA likes this.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    120R FEL Thanks to my GTT Friends!

    With overtime money more to come!

  15. Top | #10

    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:15 PM
    Location
    Warner Robins, Georgia
    Posts
    535
    Thanks
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 41 Posts
    The owners manual that I got with mine never mentions changing the oil annually, only at 200 hours. Copywrite date of 2017. At my estimated hours of around 50 per year, I'm not waiting four years to do my first oil change. That just makes my mind cringe. Especially when you consider tractors operate in such dusty environments. I think changing oil and filter anually just makes sense to me.
    Last edited by jimmylh; 08-06-2019 at 07:20 AM.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

  16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •