Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: To Filter or not to Filter?!?!

1. Top | #61

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselshadow View Post
    I donít agree with klunker, and I too have been around heavy equipment for many years. That doesnít mean large equipment doesnít benefit from fluid changes. A lot of the failures Iíve seen have been from lack of maintenance.

Iím not an engineer, nor am I a bean counter for Mother Deere, but annual hydrostatic oil changes are very much IMHO overkill. But to go to the other extreme and say itís never needed is pretty silly as well.

I would never recommend abusing your equipment, but not by doing maintenance, thatís exactly what an owner would be doing.

Grease and oil is considerably cheaper than the shop. Just sayiní.....
    I see you do agree with me.
    If you read my posts you'll see that I said annual changes of oil are overkill especially when hours are no where near what would require a change dictated by mfg suggestions of hrs before changes.
    I didn't say to never change the oils. If mfg states 200 hrs, I'll change when convenient for me after I hit 200 hrs, that maybe 220 hrs, I'll loose no sleep over it.

I pointed out that there are many that go way over on suggested hours and the equipment still runs and works. Point being that your tractor will not suddenly explode if you run over on hours.

As far as others tossing out whether we are talking hydro or engine oil, to me it doesn't matter. If the JD is telling you to change either on an annual basis when you are nowhere near the mfg suggested hours it is a waste of time and money.

Neither go bad sitting unused in an engine/gear box.
    North585, dieselshadow and PJR832 like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #62
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,254 Times in 2,561 Posts
    I wasnít going against you in full, just a few of your statements. But thatís what conversations are all about, arenít they?

I enjoy learning from others. Sometimes I donít agree, sometimes I go ďhmmmm, interesting.Ē Other times we can laugh, and yet others Iíll stand in awe with astonishment.

Please donít take offense to my statement earlier. Even though I used your name, I meant no harm. My posts are for anyone to read and make their own decisions. Perhaps they do the same as I do....
    North585, Ray_PA, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

4. Top | #63

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Thanks
    I wasnít going against you in full, just a few of your statements. But thatís what conversations are all about, arenít they?

I enjoy learning from others. Sometimes I donít agree, sometimes I go ďhmmmm, interesting.Ē Other times we can laugh, and yet others Iíll stand in awe with astonishment.

Please donít take offense to my statement earlier. Even though I used your name, I meant no harm. My posts are for anyone to read and make their own decisions. Perhaps they do the same as I do....
    No offense taken, and may I add my hats off to you for your clarification.

The internet is great for sharing ideas and info, biggest trouble is its hard to tell the intent of whats communicated unlike when we talk face to face.

I owned a business about 12 years ago, I told my employees to always communicate with a phone call if possible rather than a email as many things can be taken the wrong way in an email. Things are even worse now with more forms of communication.

But nothing beats a face to face chat over a beer for communicating ideas and thoughts.
    dieselshadow, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #64

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks
    Unless one is going to flush all the hydraulic attachments one uses on said tractor the hydraulic fluid in the tractor will be the same mucked up stuff that is in the attachment equipment once attached.

What about the first time hydraulic fluid change with all that crap trapped in the screen? Do you think JD actually cares enough that it was sent out the door full of metal scale in the hydraulics as they do? IMHO it is not as much an issue as some of the postings and JD literature has lead us to believe. Service and fluid is a cash cow.

Nobody changes truck/car automatic tranny fluid these days and it is subject to the same contamination. After all that is what magnets are for to catch the magnetic particles floating around.

For many lifting the tiller, mower deck and snow blowing does not stress the fluid. It is more stress and not much at that just driving around in the trans axle and PTO turning. A front end loader and backhoe would be more but one would need to spend endless hours at it. And if that were the case might be better off with a bigger machine.

7. Top | #65

Last Online
    Today @ 01:32 PM
    Thanks
    Little food food thought. At work never ever changed transmission fluid or filters in automatic transmission heavy medium duty trucks. Yes years later and hundred thousand miles and many many hours later maybe 1 transmission failure. All of a sudden change of plans we will change all transmission fluid and filters. Allision transmission company loved us. Transmission failures left and right. Transmissions were many times overdue for service. Not blaming transmission for the failures. But my personal believe is change fluids at somewhere near recommendations or think of all the money you will save but never doing it and hope the savings will purchase a replacement when it fails.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #66
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Melikes View Post
    Little food food thought. At work never ever changed transmission fluid or filters in automatic transmission heavy medium duty trucks. Yes years later and hundred thousand miles and many many hours later maybe 1 transmission failure. All of a sudden change of plans we will change all transmission fluid and filters. Allision transmission company loved us. Transmission failures left and right. Transmissions were many times overdue for service. Not blaming transmission for the failures. But my personal believe is change fluids at somewhere near recommendations or think of all the money you will save but never doing it and hope the savings will purchase a replacement when it fails.
    I seem to recall reading that even with automobile automatic transmissions, if youíve gone forever and never changed the fluid and then suddenly decide to do a fluid change, you can actually cause transmission problems. I canít remember the technical reason but it had something to do with slippage on the clutches and bands.
    Toughsox likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #67
    Keeper of the GTT Cookies dieselshadow's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,254 Times in 2,561 Posts
    Old wifeís tale....

Take care of anything and it will take care of you.

Just because you changed the fluid doesnít mean itíll blow up next week. If you did maintenance because ďit was acting funny,Ē well then the damage was already done.....
    Ray_PA, Firemark and Toughsox like this.
    - Jason

GreenTractorTalk.com Rules, Policies, and Terms of Use

Subscribe to dieselshadowman on YouTube

2720 w/ 200CX FEL
    , Ken's weld-on hooks, Fit Rite Hydraulics Top and Tilt kit, Artillian forks.
    1954 60 - getting full restoration, 1964
    110 round fender in the shop for crustoration
    Ferris IS3200Zzero turn mower

10. Top | #68
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,550 Times in 1,173 Posts
    Old wifeís tale....

Take care of anything and it will take care of you.

Just because you changed the fluid doesnít mean itíll blow up next week. If you did maintenance because ďit was acting funny,Ē well then the damage was already done.....
    You are 100% correct. I didnít word my thoughts correctly. The issue with high mileage automobile transmissions is they can be so worn that itís basically the friction of the dirty fluid that allows the clutches to work. Once filled with fresh slippery fluid the clutches start to slip..
    dieselshadow and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #69
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    After readingthis thread and giving it some thought I am going to change my engine oil and trans oil at about 200 hours. If the first change has a lot of stuff in the screen it can't be a bad idea. It is not like it costs that much considering what the tractor costs.
    Matt
    2019 2025R loader backhoe fork attachment brush mower back blade.

12. Top | #70
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:26 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duramaxsky View Post
    After readingthis thread and giving it some thought I am going to change my engine oil and trans oil at about 200 hours. If the first change has a lot of stuff in the screen it can't be a bad idea. It is not like it costs that much considering what the tractor costs. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/hide.gif[/IMG]
    According to the A9 1025 manual that would be a little late for engine oil.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast