Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree207Likes

Thread: To Filter or not to Filter?!?!

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:32 AM
    Thanks

To Filter or not to Filter?!?!

After the post on oil changes and the great conversation it started I have another question concerning to owners manual, Dealership, and some talk I've seen/heard. The Hydro filter on the 1023e/1025r/1026r's. I've owned several Hydro driven tractors and most of them recommend Hydro fluid changes around 200-400 hours and an annual filter change and top off from the fluid loss whether it was time for the Hydro fluid change or not . I seen a post lately ( on GTT??? Can't remember for sure) that Deere is now recommending changing the Hydro filter ANNUALLY whether you do a fluid change or not now? I owned some Cubs that recommended the same thing so was wondering if this is feasible? And if so, isn't the filter BELOW the Hydro fluid level which would cause a lot of fluid loss during the filter change? Thoughts??
    etcallhome likes this.
    Wildbill
    1023e
    RB5060L rear blade
    SS1023B broadcast spreader
    “54 Quick Attach Snow Blade
    “54 Quick Attach Mower Deck
    Homemade Carryall
    With overtime money more to come!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill56 For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,465 Times in 1,199 Posts
    200 hrs fluid/filter OR annually for those who don’t put that many hours on their tractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Bill56 (08-06-2019)

6. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:28 AM
    Thanks
    Annual change regardless of hours is excessive.

Oil sitting in a engine/transmission does not go bad.

I know some will mention moisture absorption in the oil.

The amount of moisture absorbed while sitting is minuscule. Especially in a heated garage or a dry climate.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and knock yourself out, me, I'll not waste my time or money changing trans oil every year.

Changing the filter alone always seemed like a fools errand to me. The filter doesn't do anything for the amount of dissolved items in the oil and its not like the filter is getting clogged with larger particles preventing oil flow.

Stick to the 200hrs it'll be fine. I'll bet dollars to doughnut holes that there is a large percent of tractors out there that only get changes way over whats recommended and they still are running.

I think JD says to do so as a CYA.
    Last edited by klunker; 08-06-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

srsvii (08-10-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    This is a first I am hearing about annual hydro change.

My manual says every 200 hours which still is a bit excessive in my opinion but I follow that anyway. It takes me 4 years to put 200 hours on my machine.
    ejb69, jgayman, jdforever and 7 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019), srsvii (08-10-2019)

11. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This is a first I am hearing about annual hydro change.

My manual says every 200 hours which still is a bit excessive in my opinion but I follow that anyway. It takes me 4 years to put 200 hours on my machine.
    You going to start changing it every year now and spend 4 times the amount of time and money on it?

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Another thought, Maybe JD is now saying to change every year cause guys Like Coaltrain don't generate enough parts sales to keep the bosses in bonuses.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019)

14. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PJR832 View Post
    200 hrs fluid/filter OR annually for those who don’t put that many hours on their tractors.
    I think we're getting the engine and hydro oil and filters confused here. The only oil and filter that JD recommends changing on an annual basis is the ENGINE oil and filter.

On most SCUT/CUT the hydro oil/filter had an initial change at around 50 hrs and then every 200 hrs or so after that - always changing the oil and filter at the same time.

A recent change to this schedule has been with the Gen-2 2-series tractors which list that you can change the hydro oil and filters every 400 hrs or you can change the fluid only every 1200 hrs if you follow this process (note, they still throw a 3-year life cycle in there):

[For Gen-2 2-series tractors]
    Transmission oil can be changed every 1200 hours or 3 years if the following requirements are met:

• Use John Deere Hy-Gard™ or Lo-Vis Hy-Gard oil.
    • Suction and transmission filter are both changed every 400 hours.
    • Perform oil-scan of transmission oil every 400 hours or once per year.

But, for the 1-series it has always been hydro oil AND filter AND suction screen every X-hours.
    Last edited by jgayman; 08-06-2019 at 10:36 AM.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019)

16. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    I don't see anything annually in my manual regarding hydro filters.

On the interval chart in my book:

Annually:

Check coolant.
    Clean radiator and oil cooler fins.
    Replace fuel filters.
    Check and service air filters.

That's it.
    Bill56 likes this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

17. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 AM
    Thanks
    Pardon my ignorance here. Other than the hydro oil being fried from overheating, or water-solids contaminating it, what can go wrong with it that it requires changing at 200 hours. Most manuals I've seen on all types of JD tractors in the past say change at 500 hours or after an event like a system overhaul or internal parts replacement.

However I do think that changing the filter at least at 200 hours is a good idea. While it would be very rare that you would clog a filter to the point of a no flow condition, the contaminants if any could impede flow. Anyway, most filters are made with a BY-Pass valve so that if they are blocked, the oil will still pass thru them so you don't cook the system. In the end, I think what ever makes you feel good is the right answer to this.
    etcallhome, Toughsox and Bill56 like this.

18. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 1,169 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    Pardon my ignorance here. Other than the hydro oil being fried from overheating, or water-solids contaminating it, what can go wrong with it that it requires changing at 200 hours. Most manuals I've seen on all types of JD tractors in the past say change at 500 hours or after an event like a system overhaul or internal parts replacement.

However I do think that changing the filter at least at 200 hours is a good idea. While it would be very rare that you would clog a filter to the point of a no flow condition, the contaminants if any could impede flow. Anyway, most filters are made with a BY-Pass valve so that if they are blocked, the oil will still pass thru them so you don't cook the system. In the end, I think what ever makes you feel good is the right answer to this.
    I assume you are looking at larger tractors or different equipment. Almost all JD lawn & garden, SCUT and CUT tractors have a 200-250 hr hydraulic fluid change interval. Exceptions to that are the new Gen-2 2-series and newer 3-series which is 400 hrs and some of the commercial 900-series ZTR machines which are 500 hrs.

Having said that, I've changed hydraulic fluid twice in my X500 and once in the 2720 and each time the fluid was as clear and clean as water. So I agree that is most cases, at the recommended change interval the fluid has not reached end of life.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-14-2019)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast