Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Front Axle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:02 AM
    Thanks

Front Axle

So at almost 500 hours on my 1025r I've developed a pretty good clunk on the front axle.

It started only under load (FEL weight) and I could feel it through the steering before I could hear it. Now I can hear it when I make a left turn without load and feel it through the steering.

This isn't a little click, it's pretty solid contact being made between two parts. I haven't been able to track it down to a specific area but if I had to bet on something, I'd say right side final drive has something going on in it.

I've done a recent service, changed fluid, greased...nothing excessive in terms of metal in the fluid from the front end. It also did not make it go away (here's to hoping right? ;) ) So, anyone want to throw some ideas my way? Is disassembly of the final drive a fairly straight forward task? I am guessing a bad bearing is the culprit.

Any knowledge, experience or assistance appreciated!
    Without data, you are just another man with an opinion.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - 49" 120 FEL with Piranha tooth bar
    - 260 Backhoe with 12" and 16" Buckets
    - 5' County Line Box Blade
    - FSP700 Spreader

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BBarn View Post
    So at almost 500 hours on my 1025r I've developed a pretty good clunk on the front axle.

It started only under load (FEL weight) and I could feel it through the steering before I could hear it. Now I can hear it when I make a left turn without load and feel it through the steering.

This isn't a little click, it's pretty solid contact being made between two parts. I haven't been able to track it down to a specific area but if I had to bet on something, I'd say right side final drive has something going on in it.

I've done a recent service, changed fluid, greased...nothing excessive in terms of metal in the fluid from the front end. It also did not make it go away (here's to hoping right? ;) ) So, anyone want to throw some ideas my way? Is disassembly of the final drive a fairly straight forward task? I am guessing a bad bearing is the culprit.

Any knowledge, experience or assistance appreciated!
    Anyone ever have one of the final drives apart? Anything in particular to look for or lookout for?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - FSP700 Spreader

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks
    Can you simply jack up one side, and with the 4WD engaged, simply rotate the tire back and forth by hand,, to see if you can duplicate the noise?

Then, do the same to the other side,,

if both sides are the same,, it might only be a bad drive universal joint, or something else simple,,

My 1995 Suburban did that,, I changed the oil to a synthetic, the noise quit,,
    at least, I do not hear it anymore!!
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Can you simply jack up one side, and with the 4WD engaged, simply rotate the tire back and forth by hand,, to see if you can duplicate the noise?

Then, do the same to the other side,,

if both sides are the same,, it might only be a bad drive universal joint, or something else simple,,

My 1995 Suburban did that,, I changed the oil to a synthetic, the noise quit,,
    at least, I do not hear it anymore!!
    Tried that, was hoping that is what it was too!

No sounds generated unless there is weight on the wheels. With weight on (full FEL) left, right and straight you can hear it. Without anything in the FEL you can only hear it making a tight left turn.
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - FSP700 Spreader

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Question- Can you duplicate the noise in both 2wd and 4wd? That would make a difference regarding your thoughts on final drive.
    PJR832 likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:00 PM
    Thanks
    Another thought...In the automotive/light diesel world the loaded side (bearing, hub, axle etc.) rarely makes a noise. if you hear it tight left think left because the right is loaded and vice versa.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:21 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Make sure to check the front wheels to make sure they are tight........

(One can always dream its a simple solution, like changing the fluid.....)

Here is a link to the front spindle assembly in the Parts Diagram

John Deere Parts Catalog

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Can’t say what’s wrong for sure. But, check the u-joints. They will sometimes make clicking noises as they start to fail.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Ok not sure if if this is relevant but here goes.
    Have owned a 750 MFWD tractor for many years. Took delivery of a new 1025r. I noticed that the front axle and front spindles are similar in design.
    I said all that to say I had to replace the bearings in the front spindles on my 750 after having the exact symptoms you described.
    It was not a bad job. There are two gears, two bearings and two seals on the front spindle housing attached to a vertical shaft of the 750. Just looking at the parts diagram of the 1025r, it seems to be very similar in design. One of those bearings was bad but not locked up. Was just loose and worn. When under load it would pop and rattle so I replaced all the bearings and seals.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Hope this helps.
    1983 John Deere 750
    2019 John Deere 1025r TLB

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhjesse View Post
    Ok not sure if if this is relevant but here goes.
    Have owned a 750 MFWD tractor for many years. Took delivery of a new 1025r. I noticed that the front axle and front spindles are similar in design.
    I said all that to say I had to replace the bearings in the front spindles on my 750 after having the exact symptoms you described.
    It was not a bad job. There are two gears, two bearings and two seals on the front spindle housing attached to a vertical shaft of the 750. Just looking at the parts diagram of the 1025r, it seems to be very similar in design. One of those bearings was bad but not locked up. Was just loose and worn. When under load it would pop and rattle so I replaced all the bearings and seals.

John Deere Parts Catalog

Hope this helps.
    I was looking at the diagram a few weeks ago. I also had seen other tractors with the same issue and in each case it was simply a bad bearing. I am leaning hard toward that and thinking disassembly will yield an answer one way or another.
    1025r TLB
    - 54" MMM
    - FSP700 Spreader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast